Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #15751
SugarHill
infamous souvlaki

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
take away both greats and add a good and i agree
how about I take away both greats and put super fantastic?
SugarHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #15752
24-Inch_Chrome
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHill
how about I take away both greats and put super fantastic?
24-Inch_Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #15753
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
I have a question.
So Dumbledore had the Wonder Wand this whole time correct?

Is that the only reason he was able to have a stalemate with Lord V. in The Order of Phoenix?

Remember they fought but V. couldn't do anything to him.

In the book, Voldemort is scared of Dumbledore. When he shows up to the Ministry of Magic and they battle with no victor, it's more like Voldemort flees after a mostly equal battle that Dumbledore wasn't vested in defeating Voldy but protecting Harry.

Voldemort knows that although he is the most proficient at Dark Magic in history, Dumbledore is still more powerful than him.

I guess in retrospect the Elder Wand has a lot to do with it but before that, the story is set up that Voldemort and Dumbledore are the two most powerful wizards in the world but Voldemort has always feared Dumbledore's superior ability.

Dumbledore is the only being that Voldemort knows can out duel him. Harry basically either a.) gets lucky every time or b.) is protected by love which apparently can thwart the most evil Dark wizard of all time. The only reason Voldemort doesn't quickly destroy him in GoF is because they have the same wand due to part of Voldemort's soul being in Harry since infancy. The magic cancelled out into that gold lightning dome which Harry saw his dead fam.

The duel at the Ministry was the most disappointing scene in all the movies for me because it didn't do it justice and the cinematography was crappy looking. Too dark and dull. The Ministry was described as far more decadent and flashy

Last edited by ROCSteady : 11-19-2015 at 02:37 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #15754
LikeMike
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
Spectre - 2/10

One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Come on now. There are many within the same franchise that are worse.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #15755
Shade8780
Banned

Gonna watch Fellowship of the Ring tomorrow, then the other two over the weekend Very excited, hope they live up to expectations.

I haven't watched Harry Potter in years. Definitely got to watch those again.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #15756
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
In the book, Voldemort is scared of Dumbledore. When he shows up to the Ministry of Magic and they battle with no victor, it's more like Voldemort flees after a mostly equal battle that Dumbledore wasn't vested in defeating Voldy but protecting Harry.

Voldemort knows that although he is the most proficient at Dark Magic in history, Dumbledore is still more powerful than him.

I guess in retrospect the Elder Wand has a lot to do with it but before that, the story is set up that Voldemort and Dumbledore are the two most powerful wizards in the world but Voldemort has always feared Dumbledore's superior ability.

Dumbledore is the only being that Voldemort knows can out duel him. Harry basically either a.) gets lucky every time or b.) is protected by love which apparently can thwart the most evil Dark wizard of all time. The only reason Voldemort doesn't quickly destroy him in GoF is because they have the same wand due to part of Voldemort's soul being in Harry since infancy. The magic cancelled out into that gold lightning dome which Harry saw his dead fam.

The duel at the Ministry was the most disappointing scene in all the movies for me because it didn't do it justice and the cinematography was crappy looking. Too dark and dull. The Ministry was described as far more decadent and flashy

Thanks for that, it somewhat makes sense to me now.
Honestly though, I don't think Dumby is stronger or more powerful.

The way I look at it, if you cut the head of the snake, everyone around him dies. If Dumbledore was more powerful, he would have taken it upon himself to kill Voldermort to prevent a full scale war.

From the movies anyways, it always seemed to me that Dumby feared Lord V. more than the other way around and he orchestrated plans for Harry to fight him throughout the movies.

But thanks for that detailed description.
I totally agree, that fight between D & V was disappointing.
It lasted like 3-4 minutes, I only read the first few books of HP, I might read them all again sometimes soon...but from the first few books that I did read, I was completely compelled with D & V the most.

The fact that they had a duel and it was rather short and disappointing, really sucks.

Last edited by West-Side : 11-20-2015 at 12:12 PM.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #15757
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Gonna watch Fellowship of the Ring tomorrow, then the other two over the weekend Very excited, hope they live up to expectations.

I haven't watched Harry Potter in years. Definitely got to watch those again.

Really love the Harry Potter movies but LOTR take a giant dump.
Just a far more superior series, in literally all facets of movie directing.

The story is also far more intriguing.
You will def. enjoy those 11/12 hours.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #15758
West-Side
Goat Loading

Mystic River - 97 / 100.

One of my all-time favorite movies, easily in my top 20.
The scene with Sean Penn on the porch talking to his friend is one of the most emotional (if not, the most emotional) scene I have ever witnessed on screen.

S.Penn was absolutely spectacular in that movie, I felt his pain and anger throughout. Quite easily one of the ten best performances I have ever seen.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #15759
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

I had Saving Private Ryan recorded on my TV on Veteran's day. I've seen the movie about 6-7 times. I'm still always taken a back by the first 20 minutes of the movie especially when the first wave lands at Dog Green at Omaha. My friend said his grandfather who fought at that sector on D-Day stated the opening scene was pretty accurate on how it went for the first wave (in which he was a part of). I usually like WWII movies like Thin Red Line and Letters from Iwo Jima (although both had slightly confusing plots and were often hard to follow) but Saving Private Ryan was relatively easy to follow despite a lot of events happening.

Spoiler alert: I really didn't think only 3 men: Upham, Rieben, and Ryan would survive that last fight. When I first watched the movie, I thought Rieben would eventually be killed off since he always complained and they always showed the back of his uniform saying "Brooklyn, NY." I guess they wanted to display Rieben as a hard nose kid from NYC. But New York as a state had the most KIA of any state in the US during WW2 so as a history buff, I assumed the few symbolic scenes of showing the back of his uniform meant he was likely to die due to the fact, they even say a lot of the KIA dog tags they go through were New Yorkers. The fact Upham survived was odd and annoying. He could have easily tried to save Mellish if he didn't take so long getting ammo or when the German and Mellish were fighting hand to hand in the room upstairs. I personally felt very disturbed by the scene when nearly 1/2 the men that were with Ryan at the bridge before Captain Miller came were taken apart into pieces within seconds after an 88 pulled up on them after they displaced the tank.

The movie was by far the best war movie I've ever seen. 10/10.

I would probably rank We Were Soldiers higher if they included the second half of the Battle of La Drang Valley which in fact was far more bloodier than the first half of the battle they show in the movie. I think in real life, it was about 150 KIA in the second half of the battle compared to about 65 KIA in the first half of the battle as shown in the movie.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #15760
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
I had Saving Private Ryan recorded on my TV on Veteran's day. I've seen the movie about 6-7 times. I'm still always taken a back by the first 20 minutes of the movie especially when the first wave lands at Dog Green at Omaha. My friend said his grandfather who fought at that sector on D-Day stated the opening scene was pretty accurate on how it went for the first wave (in which he was a part of). I usually like WWII movies like Thin Red Line and Letters from Iwo Jima (although both had slightly confusing plots and were often hard to follow) but Saving Private Ryan was relatively easy to follow despite a lot of events happening.

Spoiler alert: I really didn't think only 3 men: Upham, Rieben, and Ryan would survive that last fight. When I first watched the movie, I thought Rieben would eventually be killed off since he always complained and they always showed the back of his uniform saying "Brooklyn, NY." I guess they wanted to display Rieben as a hard nose kid from NYC. But New York as a state had the most KIA of any state in the US during WW2 so as a history buff, I assumed the few symbolic scenes of showing the back of his uniform meant he was likely to die due to the fact, they even say a lot of the KIA dog tags they go through were New Yorkers. The fact Upham survived was odd and annoying. He could have easily tried to save Mellish if he didn't take so long getting ammo or when the German and Mellish were fighting hand to hand in the room upstairs. I personally felt very disturbed by the scene when nearly 1/2 the men that were with Ryan at the bridge before Captain Miller came were taken apart into pieces within seconds after an 88 pulled up on them after they displaced the tank.

The movie was by far the best war movie I've ever seen. 10/10.

I would probably rank We Were Soldiers higher if they included the second half of the Battle of La Drang Valley which in fact was far more bloodier than the first half of the battle they show in the movie. I think in real life, it was about 150 KIA in the second half of the battle compared to about 65 KIA in the first half of the battle as shown in the movie.

I still say Platoon is the best war movie I've ever seen.
It's the most realistic to me.

The Thin Red Line > We Were Soldier.

SPR is easily one of the top 3 war movies I've ever seen though.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #15761
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
I still say Platoon is the best war movie I've ever seen.
It's the most realistic to me.

The Thin Red Line > We Were Soldier.

SPR is easily one of the top 3 war movies I've ever seen though.

I watched Platoon. I thought it was good. I often forget about that.

I think I have to rewatch The Thin Red Line because I skipped around the first time I watched it to be honest.

I think SPR was the most realistic based on what I've read and heard from friends who've had grandfathers who fought at Omaha Beach. Even based on aerial photos, you can see that Dog Green on Omaha Beach had the most dots which I assume meant more soldiers and more action. It's scary to think it was that bloody, my friend said his grandfather said it was simply an absolute blood bath on the beachhead once they took it. For me, it also kind of surprised me for some reason the first time I watched it when some of the beginning men who survived Omaha, Italy, and Africa (I think only the Sargeant and Captain Miller fought in Italy and Africa) had a lot of trouble holding the bridge in a small French town and end up becoming KIA over a minute mission compared to what they've done in the past.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #15762
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I like Full Metal Jacket, but a lot of that is for the depth of the setting. The war stuff itself is maybe not quite as lit up as it is in other movies.

I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan in the theatres, and being absolutely blown away. Those first 20 to 40 minutes or whatever felt like you were in the middle of it. I practically felt shell shocked once it started coming out of it. And then the last half hour or so is similarly intense, and I remember feeling almost stuck in my seat in the theater.

But after years of rewatches, and especially kind of falling into it on cable where you don't generally catch that opening scene, there's a lot of it that hasn't held up. Some of the characters are just such faint sketches it comes off really awkward. You're less likely to notice it I think recovering from that opening sequence, and then bouncing into a handful of other intense sets, but when you just flip it on and there's some jack up dialogue about the preacher kid, or the jewish kid, or Caparzo seeming to be Frankenstein, it just withers a little.

It's still a clinic in film making as a whole though. Just that it's weak spots tend to stick out in the way we consume films outside of a theatre.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #15763
Shade8780
Banned

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

10/10

Blown away. I've never seen TLotR before, and after reading the books, I was really interested. I decided to watch the theatrical version for my first time, because they're shorter, neater and Peter Jackson's preferred versions of the films. The scale is un-fvcking-believable. The amount of different environments in the movie blew my mind along with the superb acting, the directing and writing and cinematography, it's all the best of the best.

I watched this with my dad, who's never seen them, and he usually has trouble staying awake when we watch films. But with this one, he went out of his way to stay up for the three hours, even when he was getting real tired during the Rivendell parts, but by the end, he was wide awake. He seemed to enjoy it a lot.

I'm hoping to watch The Two Towers tonight, and The Return of the King tomorrow night. I don't like giving perfect scores to movies, but with this one, even after a night's sleep to think over it, I still can't find any flaws in it even as a movie or book adaption.

I'll surely be watching the Extended version soon for those 30 extra minutes of added scenes, might even pick up the whole Blu-Ray box set on Black Friday next week. Can't wait to watch it all again.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #15764
Smoke117
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

10/10

Blown away. I've never seen TLotR before, and after reading the books, I was really interested. I decided to watch the theatrical version for my first time, because they're shorter, neater and Peter Jackson's preferred versions of the films. The scale is un-fvcking-believable. The amount of different environments in the movie blew my mind along with the superb acting, the directing and writing and cinematography, it's all the best of the best.

I watched this with my dad, who's never seen them, and he usually has trouble staying awake when we watch films. But with this one, he went out of his way to stay up for the three hours, even when he was getting real tired during the Rivendell parts, but by the end, he was wide awake. He seemed to enjoy it a lot.
I'm hoping to watch The Two Towers tonight, and The Return of the King tomorrow night. I don't like giving perfect scores to movies, but with this one, even after a night's sleep to think over it, I still can't find any flaws in it even as a movie or book adaption.

I'll surely be watching the Extended version soon for those 30 extra minutes of added scenes, might even pick up the whole Blu-Ray box set on Black Friday next week. Can't wait to watch it all again.

You just watched it now? It's kind of funny, but I read a lot of fantasy and have NEVER read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The first and only time I tried to was right out of hs and I got bored because of the way tolkein took 3 pages to describe a leaf. (tongue in cheek obviously, but he waste a lot of words describing shit that doesn't matter) I've read the original trilogy and the first two books of the 2nd trilogy of "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" and that's considered the the closest thing to LotR and that was a HUGE CHORE at times...even though I liked it. I don't think I'll really ever pick read LotR as I have so much to read anyway I just don't care. lol

Last edited by Smoke117 : 11-21-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #15765
Shade8780
Banned

This trailer Lux Aeterna goes well with TLotR epicness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbfMDwc4azU
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: