Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #15796
Shade8780
Banned

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
People wanted a lot of different things from those films. Overall, the LotR films were so revolutionary...so much like nothing else we'd seen before...I think people wanted THAT again. Not possible, imo. You can't lose your virginity twice.

And if people were mad that they got a LotR prequel, that's on them: The Hobbit *is* a LotR prequel. Those events lead to what we see in LotR and LotR couldn't be the story it is without events of The Hobbit. And that story is too complex to be "a Hobbit movie or two" if you're going to tell it completely and not do like Tolkien did and just leave massive portions of it out only to slap it in the Appendices of the sequel years later.
LotR is a sequel to The Hobbit, not the other way around. I would've preferred if they had left out Saruman, Legolas, Galadriel, etc., to link the two trilogies. Just keep them separate, like the books. They're two completely different stories with a few characters and places that carry over between them, that's all.

There really isn't more content in the one Hobbit book than in both The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers combined. There should have been two movies, one starting from Bilbo meeting Gandalf and the dwarfs, and ending with the fight with Smaug at the Lonely Mountains. The second would have Bard killing Smaug over Laketown and would end with the BotFA and the journey home. That's more than enough time, and you wouldn't need filler crap like the stupid dwarf romance and made-up characters.

Last edited by Shade8780 : 11-23-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #15797
Shade8780
Banned

Also, I really wish Guillermo del Toro didn't give up the director's chair to Peter Jackson. I believe it was the studio's fault he left, but he seemed a lot more passionate to the project than Peter was. It must have felt more like an obligation than passion project for Peter, especially after working hard and pouring his heart into TLotR trilogy for half a decade only a few years prior.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #15798
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Enjoy. It's such a unique experience. I hope you like it.

I didn't have the same reaction to the last act of Sicario as most people. I seemed to see it more as a sequence of set pieces. But it is an excellent movie.

I was disappointed, because I felt like Sicario developed excellent suspense for its climax and the ending just seemed underwhelming to me.

I was really intrigued about Del Toro's character, similar to The Usual Suspects, but the way they concluded the film was disappointing.

I may watch it again, terrific performance from Del Toro.
I really couldn't stand the lady.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #15799
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~

Trainwreck - 4/10

I have no idea why this thing scored an 85% on RT. It is NOT that good. There is more drama in this movie than there is comedy, and I rented the thing wanting to laugh. You dive into her man troubles, and the death of her father, etc....just make me laugh damn it.

I would say it's higher like a 6 maybe 7ish. The parts that were funny, were funny and I don't mind a mix of drama and comedy, but I just don't think it was done well. I think they got the tone of the movie wrong.

John Cena was quite funny in it. The coworker who couldn't stop smiling really made me laugh. The man troubles usually used for comedic effect.

I think it was the execution of the comedy and drama that was the issue, not the idea of that. However, they never really went for it. The comedy and the drama just rubbed against each other the wrong way, felt like two different movies. If you want me to care about her father's illness don't do things that take me out of the movie. A lot of the humor was jokey, writers-room humor and didn't feel organic to the movie. It was too self-conscious. The spin on romantic comedies was self conscious and sometimes that worked. The fake mini Woody Allen section was self conscious. Dave Atell as a comedic homeless guy who was basically doing his standup act was self conscious. So you were constantly being reminded you were watching a movie and it was a meta-romantic comedy so when they went the other way, you felt manipulated not involved.

The better romantic comedies earn the romance.....here the characters felt like they were together because they were in a movie together. You didn't feel any real risk to the movie either.

It's like they put a lot of serious stuff in the movie, but it felt like they didn't actually deal with it. That they were afraid of that stuff, so instead of being involving, you were left with a bunch of stuff that got in the way of the comedy.

Actually as I write this up. 6 at best.

Also Amare Stoudemire is on the Knicks in this movie, so I think they must spent a lot time editing this thing.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #15800
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Spotlight with Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo is a good, well acted movie about the newspaper team that blew open the Catholic Church scandal.

8.5 of 10.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #15801
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

8.5/10

Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly have hot lesbian sex. There's a story about some mob money and double-crossing, etc., etc., but did I mention that Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly have hot lesbian sex?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #15802
Shade8780
Banned

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

9.8/10

Again, blown away. This time, it was the fvcking epic battles that amazed me. The Mines of Moria in the last film was a really cool part of the movie, but you really can't even compare it to Helm's Deep. It had amazing visuals and spine-chilling moments, one of my favourites being when the Orcs held up in front of the Hornburg, and you could really see the whole scale of the battle. You knew right at that moment, some serious shit was about to go down.

There was more than just action to it obviously. Gollum was a great addition, Serkis did a fine job and he really made the Frodo and Sam scenes, and the acting all-around was once again brilliant, in every sense of the word. Even though Peter Jackson gets a lot of hate for The Hobbit movies now, I'm really excited to see whatever his next project is, because no one is able to bring such sweeping action and an epic sense of feels and awe to the big screen like him.

I think I liked Fellowship a little more, but that doesn't take anything away from TTT. It's very close between the two for me, but The Shire scenes and Sean Bean's acting in the former just puts it over the edge.

Gonna watch RotK right now. Will update.

Last edited by Shade8780 : 11-23-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #15803
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

9.8/10

Again, blown away. This time, it was the fvcking epic battles that amazed me. The Mines of Moria in the last film was a really cool part of the movie, but you really can't even compare it to Helm's Deep. It had amazing visuals and spine-chilling moments, one of my favourites being when the Orcs held up in front of the Hornburg, and you could really see the whole scale of the battle. You knew right at that moment, some serious shit was about to go down.

There was more than just action to it obviously. Gollum was a great addition, Serkis did a fine job and he really made the Frodo and Sam scenes, and the acting all-around was once again awesome, in every sense of the word. Even though Peter Jackson gets a lot of hate for The Hobbit movies now, I'm really excited to see whatever his next project is, because no one is able to bring such sweeping action and an epic sense of feels to the big screen like him.

I think I liked Fellowship a little more, but that doesn't take anything away from TTT. It's very close between the two for me, but The Shire scenes and Sean Bean's acting in the former just puts it over the edge.

Gonna watch RotK right now. Will update.

You will give it 110/100, I promise.
It's far and away the best of the trilogy.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #15804
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

8.5/10

Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly have hot lesbian sex. There's a story about some mob money and double-crossing, etc., etc., but did I mention that Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly have hot lesbian sex?

Bound is easily the best movie the Wachowski Brothers have ever made.

If you can find the DVD, the commentary is hilarious. I think it was the early days of commentary and they didn't budget for editing. So the stars don't even show up until about 35 min in.

I know the lesbian sex consultant.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #15805
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Damon here in Berlin right now filming his new Bourne movie!
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #15806
brownboyfly
Not airballing my layups anymore

Charlie Countryman

Saw it for Shia, really enjoyed Mads Mikkelsen's performance in this. Rupert Grint was great as was Evan Rachel Wood. Overall, I loved the cinematography but the second time around, everything from the dialogue to the sequences felt rushed. It could have benefited from more screen time.

6/10.
brownboyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #15807
LikeMike
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
You will give it 110/100, I promise.
It's far and away the best of the trilogy.

Minus the cop out way of winning the war and the 30 minutes of unnecessary ending scenes?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #15808
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike
Minus the cop out way of winning the war and the 30 minutes of unnecessary ending scenes?

Was it only 30 minutes? It seemed a lot longer.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #15809
LikeMike
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Was it only 30 minutes? It seemed a lot longer.
I'm not sure if it has ever ended. ROTK is probably great for LOTR fanboys, but for people who got tired of the series, it was probably the hardest to sit through.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #15810
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
LotR is a sequel to The Hobbit, not the other way around. I would've preferred if they had left out Saruman, Legolas, Galadriel, etc., to link the two trilogies. Just keep them separate, like the books. They're two completely different stories with a few characters and places that carry over between them, that's all.
The thing is...they're not two completely different stories in the conventional sense, and neither Professor Tolkien nor Jackson, Walsh and Boyens would interpret them as such. They're all part of one very long legendarium, which is why Tolkien loved to use some derivative of the phrase "but those events are told in another tale" whenever he could to shortcut some bit of narrative for the time being with the hope of revisiting it another time. But they're not separate stories. Bilbo's actions in The Hobbit, the Battle, Smaug's death, the events at Dol Guldur (the beginning of Saruman's fall from grace, which is pivotal to so much of what happens in LotR)...all in some way affect the sequence of events in LotR. Nothing in Middle-earth happens in a vacuum.
Quote:
There really isn't more content in the one Hobbit book than in both The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers combined. There should have been two movies, one starting from Bilbo meeting Gandalf and the dwarfs, and ending with the fight with Smaug at the Lonely Mountains. The second would have Bard killing Smaug over Laketown and would end with the BotFA and the journey home. That's more than enough time, and you wouldn't need filler crap like the stupid dwarf romance and made-up characters.
More content in the book proper, no. Again, The Hobbit is a children's book so he stuck to the story of Bilbo and didn't really deviate from it...which is fine for a kid's book. He DID flesh the story out a lot more in the appendices to LotR and in subsequent letters he wrote in the wake of his success. Everything they put in those three Hobbit films was adapted from Tolkien's writing, even if some names and places in history were skewed a bit for the story. So what if Alfrid didn't exist in the book? Its not terribly unlikely that the Master had an assistant, is it?

The one glaring exception is of course that lame-ass romance angle; that was an invention of the writers and it was pretty poorly chosen and executed as you said. I've heard Philippa Boyens' comments as to why that went in there and she thought "all bros all the time" was a bit off-putting...so she and Fran wrote that in for Tauriel as a counterpoint to the constant "Elves and Dwarves don't like each other" theme that pervaded the films.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: