Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #15811
Smoke117
NBA Legend

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Pros:

- The acting. At this point Liam Neeson can do a role like this in his sleep. Ed Harris was great and everybody else was solid except one role which i'll get into in my cons.

- I really enjoyed the relationship between Neeson and Harris characters.

- I enjoyed the dark, gritty tone of the film and how it was actually filmed

Cons:

- It always makes me laugh how easy it is to get away from the police in movies even when there are helicopters and about 50 guys on foot after you.

- Pretty much everything involving the professional hitman played by Common. I thought his acting was poor and the action scenes that involved him just didn't fit the tone the movie was going for.

- The ending was typical, hollywood melodrama.

All in all...I'm going to give it a 6 to 6.5.

Tonight I'm going to watch 'A walk among the tombstones' and see how that compares to this.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #15812
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
Thanks for that, it somewhat makes sense to me now.
Honestly though, I don't think Dumby is stronger or more powerful.

The way I look at it, if you cut the head of the snake, everyone around him dies. If Dumbledore was more powerful, he would have taken it upon himself to kill Voldermort to prevent a full scale war.

From the movies anyways, it always seemed to me that Dumby feared Lord V. more than the other way around and he orchestrated plans for Harry to fight him throughout the movies.

But thanks for that detailed description.
I totally agree, that fight between D & V was disappointing.
It lasted like 3-4 minutes, I only read the first few books of HP, I might read them all again sometimes soon...but from the first few books that I did read, I was completely compelled with D & V the most.

The fact that they had a duel and it was rather short and disappointing, really sucks.

Dumbledore knew that trying to 'kill' Voldemort' was an exercise in futility because he knew already that Voldemort stored in soul in various Horcruxes so although he could have defeated him, he wouldn't have died just like in the past.

His main concern became protecting Harry, not killing Voldemort there because the real way to kill Voldemort had to be done with planning and tracking down Horcruxes
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #15813
Smoke117
NBA Legend

This movie is the definition of mediocre. The main problem is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. The trailers make it seem like some stoner comedy with some outlandish action scenes...but that's not what it is at all. The movie expects you to take it a lot more seriously than I could. The mixing of comedic and dramatic elements just didn't work for it. I can't recommend anyone going out of their way or paying any money to see it.

5/10
Old 11-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #15814
SexSymbol
You are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117

This movie is the definition of mediocre. The main problem is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. The trailers make it seem like some stoner comedy with some outlandish action scenes...but that's not what it is at all. The movie expects you to take it a lot more seriously than I could. The mixing of comedic and dramatic elements just didn't work for it. I can't recommend anyone going out of their way or paying any money to see it.

5/10
That is exactly what it is.
SexSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #15815
Smoke117
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexSymbol
That is exactly what it is.

It's not really a stoner comedy at all. It has some outlandish action scenes...yes, but the movie takes itself entirely too seriously with how it makes you want to ponder how the government uses people. Besides you OVERRATE EVERY MOVIE IN EXISTENCE...you don't know anything.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #15816
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Dumbledore knew that trying to 'kill' Voldemort' was an exercise in futility because he knew already that Voldemort stored in soul in various Horcruxes so although he could have defeated him, he wouldn't have died just like in the past.

His main concern became protecting Harry, not killing Voldemort there because the real way to kill Voldemort had to be done with planning and tracking down Horcruxes

His main concern was plotting for Voldermort to kill Harry, once Harry mastered death by collecting all three Deathly Hallows.
His talk with Snapes confirmed that. Harry was one of the Horcruxes, because Voldermort's soul attached itself to Harry when he attempted to kill him.

So Dumbeldore's objective was for Harry to find all 3 Deathly Hallows and have Lord V. kill him. Once he has mastered death, he couldn't be dead but he would ensure that Lord V. killed one of the Horcruxes in the process.

That was the entire plot set up by Dumbeldore.
Which is why it was necessary for Snapes to kill Dumbeldore using the Elder Wand. In essence, to fool Voldermort into thinking that Snape was its true master. However, it was Drako who unarmed Dumbeldore. So he was the true master, until Harry unarmed Drako.

Therefore, Harry now possessed all the Deathly Hallows and was ready to be killed by Lord V. without actually dying. Dumbeldore gave Harry the last Deathly Hallow (stone) just before his duel with Lord V.

Since Harry possessed the invisibility clothe, the stone and the rightful owner of the Elder Wand; he was ready to master death and at the same time kill one of the remaining Horcruxes (Lord V.'s soul that was inside Harry). Once that happened, all they had to do was kill the snake and Lord V. would vanish forever.

Snape and Dumbeldore essentially sacrificed their lives to protect Harry. Dumbeldore died in order to trick Lord V. into thinking Snapes now is the master of the Elder Wand, and Snapes died because he knew Lord V. would kill him in order to become its new master. That's why in the end Harry named his son after both headmasters.

However, the reason Snape's sacrifice was greater is because Dumbeldore was POISONED by the apple that Drako gave him in Half-Blood Prince. Lord V. ordered for this to happen. So essentially, Dumbeldore was already dying. Snape sacrificed his life because he knew it would convince Lord V. that he is the rightful owner of the Elder Wand; therefore he would never suspect that Harry possessed all 3 Deathly Hallows.

My point is simple though. Dumbeldore was never strong enough to kill Lord V.

Why? Because if he was, he would have gave Harry all 3 Deathly Hallows to begin with and kill him himself (which essentially would be only to kill one of the Horcruxes, that lived inside Harry). Then proceed to notify Harry of the remaining Horcruxes at the very beginning. Not wait till innocent people died during the process.

However, Dumbeldore used Harry to trick Lord V.
Lord V. knows that Dumbeldore is a worthy opponent and he wouldn't have underestimated him like he did Harry. That is why I believe Lord V. would have won.

Remember, Dumbeldore knew that Harry had the invisibility clothe and he also himself possessed the Elder Wand AND the Resurrection Stone. So he could have easily told Harry about the Deathly Hallows from the beginning and killed one of the Horcruxes immediately.

That's why I think the Harry Potter series is extremely intriguing with a very rich dialogue.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movies.

Last edited by West-Side : 11-26-2015 at 12:44 PM.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #15817
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
The thing is...they're not two completely different stories in the conventional sense, and neither Professor Tolkien nor Jackson, Walsh and Boyens would interpret them as such. They're all part of one very long legendarium, which is why Tolkien loved to use some derivative of the phrase "but those events are told in another tale" whenever he could to shortcut some bit of narrative for the time being with the hope of revisiting it another time. But they're not separate stories. Bilbo's actions in The Hobbit, the Battle, Smaug's death, the events at Dol Guldur (the beginning of Saruman's fall from grace, which is pivotal to so much of what happens in LotR)...all in some way affect the sequence of events in LotR. Nothing in Middle-earth happens in a vacuum.

More content in the book proper, no. Again, The Hobbit is a children's book so he stuck to the story of Bilbo and didn't really deviate from it...which is fine for a kid's book. He DID flesh the story out a lot more in the appendices to LotR and in subsequent letters he wrote in the wake of his success. Everything they put in those three Hobbit films was adapted from Tolkien's writing, even if some names and places in history were skewed a bit for the story. So what if Alfrid didn't exist in the book? Its not terribly unlikely that the Master had an assistant, is it?

The one glaring exception is of course that lame-ass romance angle; that was an invention of the writers and it was pretty poorly chosen and executed as you said. I've heard Philippa Boyens' comments as to why that went in there and she thought "all bros all the time" was a bit off-putting...so she and Fran wrote that in for Tauriel as a counterpoint to the constant "Elves and Dwarves don't like each other" theme that pervaded the films.

That romance came off as really bad fan fic, it was so terrible that I slept through the rest of that movie and never watched the third, and have disowned that whole shitty prequel trilogy.

The worst part is I actually defended the first movie despite the garbage cgi
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #15818
Shade8780
Banned

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

10/10

I watched this Monday night, and waited a few days to post here so I could let it all sink in.

Return of the King was a PERFECT ending to one of the greatest trilogies ever made. It's really tough deciding which of the three are my favourite, it's like having to pick your favourite child, because they're all that good.

There may be a few ending spoilers from here on out, considering I'm reviewing a twelve year old movie, so if you haven't watched, don't read.

There was one part after King Aragon's coronation where he walked towards the Hobbits, and as they bow down to him, he says "my friends, you bow to no one", and the camera zooms out to show everyone bowing to the four little Hobbits with The Shire theme playing in the background. That really got me. Even after Gandalf's fall, and Boromir and Theoden's deaths in the previous films, this got tears swelling up in my eyes HARD. I usually don't cry watching movies, but that one part hit my sweet spot.

Another part that got a big lump in my throat was of course when Frodo parted for the Grey Havens. It feels like someone's cutting onions whenever that damn Shire piece comes on. Elijah Wood and Sean Astin should have multiple fvcking Oscars each (actually the whole cast should, but that's not possible sadly), it's crazy how underrated they are. They brought the characters to life in a way no one else could, turning good writing into fantastic writing, and could sell emotion really well.

I called one of the local movie/game stores, and they had one Extended trilogy Blu-ray set left in stock, so I got that reserved. Going to pick it up today, and watch them all over again with all those glorious added scenes.

You can argue all day which of the LotR movies is the best, but you can't argue that TRotk posts the biggest emotional punch out of the three. Peter Jackson is a gawd, and no, I don't have any desire to watch The Hobbit films for now.

Last edited by Shade8780 : 11-26-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #15819
Shade8780
Banned

I'm actually devastated I'll never get to watch these with fresh eyes again.

If you still haven't watched LotR and plan to, well, don't, because it'll ruin everything else for you.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #15820
West-Side
Goat Loading

An Unexpected Journey - 92 / 100
Room - 98 / 100

Blown away, honestly.
I don't really even want to say anything other than it was an experience like no other. It had the same effect on me as Boyhood did.

Both movies just make you seem like you're really there with them, it's just so realistic and natural.

The Hobbit is honestly the most underrated trilogy ever.
I watched the 1st one again last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In terms of entertainment, it was perhaps more entertaining than the Fellowship to me. It obviously isn't as good, substance wise; but it's a darn good movie and I loved the added humor to the dialogue.

I also like young Bilbo a lot more than Frodo, as the main protagonist.
Looking forward to watching the Desolation tonight.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #15821
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Turning into SexSymbol with these scores
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #15822
Town's Town
Serious playground baller

Creed 4.25/5
Town's Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #15823
Draz
The People's Choice

San Andreas - 0/10

Had to stop watching 25% in. Just terrible. Why waste your time on making a movie like this????
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #15824
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Creed: 8/10

Definitely the best of the franchise since the original. Jordan and Stallone both killed their roles. I like that it had all the hallmarks of a Rocky flick (training montages, setting, etc) but managed to feel like an original standalone film.

The only thing I found weird, not in a bad way, was the fight scenes. In the beginning and middle, the scenes were more realistic than past Rocky movies. But the final fight played out like the classic Rocky rock'em sock'em robots choreography. Again, that's not a bad thing... Just personally found it odd that the earlier matches were so technically realistic yet the final fight was like Rocky vs Clubber Lang or Drago.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #15825
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

10/10

I watched this Monday night, and waited a few days to post here so I could let it all sink in.

Return of the King was a PERFECT ending to one of the greatest trilogies ever made. It's really tough deciding which of the three are my favourite, it's like having to pick your favourite child, because they're all that good.

There may be a few ending spoilers from here on out, considering I'm reviewing a twelve year old movie, so if you haven't watched, don't read.

There was one part after King Aragon's coronation where he walked towards the Hobbits, and as they bow down to him, he says "my friends, you bow to no one", and the camera zooms out to show everyone bowing to the four little Hobbits with The Shire theme playing in the background. That really got me. Even after Gandalf's fall, and Boromir and Theoden's deaths in the previous films, this got tears swelling up in my eyes HARD. I usually don't cry watching movies, but that one part hit my sweet spot.

Another part that got a big lump in my throat was of course when Frodo parted for the Grey Havens. It feels like someone's cutting onions whenever that damn Shire piece comes on. Elijah Wood and Sean Astin should have multiple fvcking Oscars each (actually the whole cast should, but that's not possible sadly), it's crazy how underrated they are. They brought the characters to life in a way no one else could, turning good writing into fantastic writing, and could sell emotion really well.

I called one of the local movie/game stores, and they had one Extended trilogy Blu-ray set left in stock, so I got that reserved. Going to pick it up today, and watch them all over again with all those glorious added scenes.

You can argue all day which of the LotR movies is the best, but you can't argue that TRotk posts the biggest emotional punch out of the three. Peter Jackson is a gawd, and no, I don't have any desire to watch The Hobbit films for now.

Would you call me a weirdo if I told you that I saw LOTR each movie 20 times at least? That is 60 times total.

When I was like 15, I used to have a period that I would come home and put a LOTR movie. I did this for 3 weeks straight. My mom at some point though I needed help.

No movies have or will ever have such effect on me as the LOTR. All three movies are flawless to me.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: