Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #46
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Default Re: drew gooden to the spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
Most of you are homers and only watch your 1 team, and only get to see others when you play them once in a blue moon

I've watched maybe 90% of his games as a Cavalier, and that guy was right
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #47
All Net

Gooden will help the Spurs with scoring and help with rebounding help for Duncan but his poor defense and poor IQ makes it tough for me to see him ever playing late in playoff games when games are on the line.

He will improve the Spurs but not enough to make them good enough to beat L.A.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #48
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Ive been watching drew for a while when he was a cav. I remember cursing alot whenever he touched the ball. While I don't think he will hurt the team I doubt he will be a big help.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #49
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaiel
I've watched maybe 90% of his games as a Cavalier, and that guy was right

Your bias. You also never pointed out or gave him credit for the times he carried you when lebron was off, or hurt. You seem to only focus on his lapses, but like i said your bias and probably one of them defensive focused fans to a fault.

I think Hollinger was right. Although i said the same thing as he did, and admitted to Gooden's faults. I completely disagree with you and Niko, since his D isn't nearly as bad as your pretending, and i guess you never watched him with Memphis, Orlando, or the Bulls like i have...
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #50
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidachi
well I think releasing Gooden isn't worth saving 2 mill.

yeah but i think he was a FA after this season anyways so he could've just signed elsewhere, and they weren't playing for anything. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think thats also partly why the Bulls got rid of him.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #51
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
yeah but i think he was a FA after this season anyways so he could've just signed elsewhere, and they weren't playing for anything. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think thats also partly why the Bulls got rid of him.
i've seen him with Orlando, and Cleveland, and Chicago. His deficiencies were magnified in Cleveland because they played more serious games. Chicago was playing practically exhibition games as they had no playoff shot. YET you want to value those more. For Cleveland, who needed size, he was pushed behind every warm body they had because of his play in the playoffs on the defensive end. Yet, you don't want to acknowledge that, you want to acknowledge meaningless games in Chicago. (Which, i have seen at least 20 this year (i really like rose) and STILL have no idea why you think his defense has improved.

During the important spots, he will be on the bench as such luminaries as Bonner (whose defense sucks cause he cant move fast) and Thomas (who i love but his age has made him as mobile as a large tree) get burn because the Spurs know that at least they won't forget they have someone to cover.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #52
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Your bias. You also never pointed out or gave him credit for the times he carried you when lebron was off, or hurt. You seem to only focus on his lapses, but like i said your bias and probably one of them defensive focused fans to a fault.

I think Hollinger was right. Although i said the same thing as he did, and admitted to Gooden's faults. I completely disagree with you and Niko, since his D isn't nearly as bad as your pretending, and i guess you never watched him with Memphis, Orlando, or the Bulls like i have...

you keep talking about what he did when lebron was hurt. That was OFFENSIVE. His problems are DEFENSIVE. His defense didn't magically improve at that time.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #53
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

He can score and rebound, but he's a pretty crappy defender, which will hurt him on the Spurs. Gives them fantastic frontcourt depth though, something you had to be worried about with Thomas's age and Oberto seemingly getting greasier by the minute. If everyone is healthy for the Spurs for the playoffs, they are the main threat to the Lakers out West (they pretty much already were).
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #54
Chicago-Rose
Give this girl a Rose!

Big upgrade for Drew Gooden. There is nothing good happening with the Bulls or Kings this season. The Spurs always have a chance.
Chicago-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #55
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Any player that joins the Spurs - must fit the Spurs , not the Spurs fitting to the player.

That being said - any big players along side Duncan who is on the Strong Side, plays the weak side.
That means any big playing the weak side, gets weak side rebounds defensively as well as offensively.
Back door passes from Duncan - for dunks.
Must be able to block shots or at least contest them.
And lastly out let pass, or if trapped get it out to a wing.

This is not complicated basketball. That is why $1-2million dollar contracts can play along side Duncan as well as aging vets. Many weaknesses can be covered up by Duncan.
When playing off the bench and Duncan isn't playing a more active rotation of ball movement occurs with Parker and Ginobli.
(just don't get in their way - stay in a open spot !)
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: