Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Serious question: how do you guys schedule your day during a job search?

Currently started looking for a job this week but realized I haven't done much of any productivity. Like what time did you guys wake up, work out, when did you start contacting people in industry? It's been 2 days and I've fixed up 80% of what I had to for my resume and a few other things. But I've also been sleeping super late due to being stressed out/nervous.

Please no troll answers. Also would prefer those with college degrees to answer who didn't have much work experience and were in their 20s.

Default Re: Serious question: how do you guys schedule your day during a job search?

Searching for a job IS your job, treat it as such.

Default Re: Serious question: how do you guys schedule your day during a job search?

Bust your ass to get a job. Like the poster above said, it is your job.

Waking up late isn't good enough if you want me to be honest. Get up early, get on the job search websites, look at your linkedin, and start talking to recruiters.

If you have an idea of where you want your career to go, try and get your resume centered around that, but when it is your first job in your field/relevant to your degree, take anything closely related. You'd be surprised how much they value things down the line.

2 days and you've fixed 80% of your resume? Doesn't take that long.

Start applying. 10 jobs a day isn't hard when you're sending in a resume, and basically the same cover letter every time since the jobs you're applying for are similar. Add in 3 to 4 phone calls a day to the jobs you really liked, and have a chat to the HR team, or to the recruiter that advertised the job and really express your interest.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

If you have a friends and family in the area you're searching, call them as well to see if they know of anything that potentially might be what you're looking for(if they like you). Can't beat free footwork.

Local High School Star

Same schedule when I am working, 9am to 6pm and off on weekends

No point in job searching on sat or sun because no one is going to call to schedule a interview on the weekend

So u don't wake up at 12pm during the week. You get up at 8am and eat and then go to your computer and start your job search activities until 1pm. Eat lunch and then finish the rest of the day

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Honestly periodically during the day.

Start with 1 hour, then check later on mid day. Everything is online and it

Ask Justin. He is the expert on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Bust your ass to get a job. Like the poster above said, it is your job.

Waking up late isn't good enough if you want me to be honest. Get up early, get on the job search websites, look at your linkedin, and start talking to recruiters.

If you have an idea of where you want your career to go, try and get your resume centered around that, but when it is your first job in your field/relevant to your degree, take anything closely related. You'd be surprised how much they value things down the line.

2 days and you've fixed 80% of your resume? Doesn't take that long.

Start applying. 10 jobs a day isn't hard when you're sending in a resume, and basically the same cover letter every time since the jobs you're applying for are similar. Add in 3 to 4 phone calls a day to the jobs you really liked, and have a chat to the HR team, or to the recruiter that advertised the job and really express your interest.
    Thanks man. It wasn't just resumes though I was also drafting cover letters for the industries I plan to apply to. But yeah, regardless I was upset how little I achieved on Monday/Tuesday. Yesterday, I linked up with a recruiter in my industry despite waking up late, I started hustling from around 12 to 6. Looking for "temp" jobs while I use my industry connections who have told me they can get me a position I want even if I have less experience.

Also have some really strong connections in industry that I'm reconnecting with this weekend in person. Also saw some positions on their company websites that seem legit. Trying to get an MBA eventually so I'm just afraid of getting pigeon-hole into some STEM job with no vertical movement to promotion or minimal responsibilities (my strongest connection got the hint I was going for this and they said they could help me go that route with their influence).

There are job recruiter's who's JOB it is to do this. Literally that's what they get paid to do. Find a job recruiter and kick back and relax. Most of the time, these guys are working for you WHILE you have a job. If something comes along that you can't refuse, you take it and the new employer typically will pay the job recruiter around 20k to secure you as a new employee. Here's what you need to be mindful of:

-Salary
    -Relocation package
    -Sign on bonus
    -401k match
    -Any additional contributions made by company toward your retirement program.
    -Health care program
    -Other perks like company car, cell phone paid, company credit card etc

Happy hunting boys.

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    There are job recruiter's who's JOB it is to do this. Literally that's what they get paid to do. Find a job recruiter and kick back and relax. Most of the time, these guys are working for you WHILE you have a job. If something comes along that you can't refuse, you take it and the new employer typically will pay the job recruiter around 20k to secure you as a new employee. Here's what you need to be mindful of:

-Salary
    -Relocation package
    -Sign on bonus
    -401k match
    -Any additional contributions made by company toward your retirement program.
    -Health care program
    -Other perks like company car, cell phone paid, company credit card etc

Happy hunting boys.
    Depends heavily on the quality of a recruiter tbh. A recruiter that's a fresh college grad wouldn't provide much help. I know someone whose first job was that. Their boss politely told them to probably find a job in industry and then consider coming back. Their inexperience was slowing the company's productivity.

She also told me it was easier for her to find a job with a year of experience. Ended up joining an innovative startup albeit with pretty low pay but a ton of on the job learning.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 03-14-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Networking.

Don't forget that.

NBA Legend

Honestly, just go to the place you wanna work and whip your junk out.

Wake up around noon, call the temp agency to see if anything is open, go shoot some hoops and get high around 4 or 5 pm all the way to 3 am.

I legit did this for a week and I got a position at a multinational making 60 thousand a year. Not bad for someone without a college degree and half assing looking for a job. I was gonna get serious at some point but I got bummed out after I lost my previous job and obviously I'm just joking about following my regiment, I guess I just got lucky with the perfect timing on my job search...stayed at that company 2 years, they offered a raise when I put in my 2 weeks notice but I got my own business now

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Wake up around noon, call the temp agency to see if anything is open, go shoot some hoops and get high around 4 or 5 pm all the way to 3 am.

I legit did this for a week and I got a position at a multinational making 60 thousand a year. Not bad for someone without a college degree and half assing looking for a job. I was gonna get serious at some point but I got bummed out after I lost my previous job and obviously I'm just joking about following my regiment, I guess I just got lucky with the perfect timing on my job search...stayed at that company 2 years, they offered a raise when I put in my 2 weeks notice but I got my own business now
    Incredibly lucky, but well done.

Searching for work can be extremely frustrating, because sometimes your output, or effort level doesn't end up in the results you want. It purely is luck at times, like in your situation, but mostly a numbers game.

I absolutely dreaded it at one point out of university, with little experience. Can take a while before someone even takes a chance on you despite dual degrees, or even masters in some peoples case.

Not sure what the situation is in the USA, but I imagine $60k is a great salary given the purchasing power would be better in the US. Over here in Australia, you can get a job doing manual labour, no skills, and that gets you $50-$55k. Then you go into a role with your degree, and you're put into a role that pays $40k... $40k in Australia is barely enough to pay rent, pay for transportation, food, and then attempts to save. A single mother on government assistance here makes about $25k for not working for perspective. Makes no sense. From what I saw in the States, it seems you guys actually pay the people who went to college and got the skills at least more than the unskilled labour, even if it is an entry level position. I could be wrong though.

Opinion of sales jobs based off commissions (uncapped ceiling but of course low pay if you can't sell much)?