Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: What happened to the American Dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    It got replaced with government handouts.
    The government will reward you $10 for this post. Great job Chew.

Banned

Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Liberals
    I agree. I used to be Liberal, but they've destroyed Ontario. Delusional spend now-pay later attitude is creating a debt we'll never be rid of and they don't care because they're old and my generation will be paying for it. Throw in some corruption and questionable expenses and you get the Liberal party. The entire province voted conservative in our last election, except for Toronto. Result, Liberal majority win.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Liberals
    Are you enjoying that welfare stimulus package?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Living the dream

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

I guess you need to pursue it in Canada now.

No seriously, there are two major problems in America, individualism in a selfish sense, we are so absorbed on the 'I' there is no 'We'. We treat our neighbors with suspicion and fear and we have no interest in the welfare of our community unless it directly affects our property value.

The second problem is that we falsely romanticize our 'ideal' America from the 50s as it was far from inclusive and if existed today would lead to all out chaos (picture BLM behaving more like the IRA).

America is a great place to pursue your discipline at a high level. Its like the best courts in the city, you can always get a good run here, there are some killer ballers in other countries but this is where the best games usually are. America is basically like that for the world, but a lot more n*ggas are calling next and a lot fewer n*ggas gonna see the court.

But hey, there is a run now going on across the street in Canada, seems pretty decent, might as well check it out, just like the OP's parents.

The american dream is alive and well. The dream isnt an easily attainable nice house with a white picket fence, the dream is that you can work hard, and create a nice life for yourself, and if not for yourself then for your family. evidently, the american dream came true for your parents, you are educated with a good job.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    The american dream is alive and well. The dream isnt an easily attainable nice house with a white picket fence, the dream is that you can work hard, and create a nice life for yourself, and if not for yourself then for your family. evidently, the american dream came true for your parents, you are educated with a good job.
    My parents made it happen for me but I really fail to see how my generation can make it happen for our descendants. My generation can barely stand on our own legs 5 years after coming out of undergrad, at around age 27, the age that my parents birthed me and a very standard age to begin a family.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    My parents made it happen for me but I really fail to see how my generation can make it happen for our descendants. My generation can barely stand on our own legs 5 years after coming out of undergrad, at around age 27, the age that my parents birthed me and a very standard age to begin a family.
    Right. Same age as me, but my girlfriend hasn't been able to even find a job in her field yet. I've been supporting us both for the last few years, but I don't get ahead as a result. She works for minimum wage, but has student loans and is saving to get a master's degree. Hopefully that will help her.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    well, you are not working hard enough or doing enough for your own dream, you or living your parents dream. if you continue on the path you are going, you will eventually buy a house in a nice suburb and raise a family whom your kids can live a decent life and have a shot at success, this is your parents dream and hard work coming to fruition, not yours.

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Que?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

housing in canada is stupid expensive. My sister in law is marrying some dude from calgary and they are looking at homes in the 500k range. You can get comparable homes here just outside of most major US cities for about half that price.

Similarly, my parents were dirt poor and immigrated here. Started a business, made decent money, and all of their kids have graduate level degrees. Not too shabby considering my grandparents never even set foot in a school and were illiterate their entire lives.

I think too many kids go to college, and not enough take up the trades/go into business for themselves. I also think our generation is afraid of hard work, and are too prideful to take jobs that they deem are beneath them. A bachelor's degree is now a high school diploma. People whine about jobs they don't like or shouldn't be doing. Suck it up.

And another huge culprit is people living above their means. Maybe it's not such a great idea to finance a 30k car. Maybe it's not such a great idea to have a gigantic mortgage. People hitting up chipotle and starbucks like its their f*cking job over here. It's ridiculous. It's not a liberal versus conservative thing, that notion is stupid. It's an individualistic thing. Blaming it on some scapegoat like liberalism or conservatism is just flat out wrong.

Anyone can still make a fortune here.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Ass Dan
    The second problem is that we falsely romanticize our 'ideal' America from the 50s as it was far from inclusive and if existed today would lead to all out chaos (picture BLM behaving more like the IRA).
    I have no idea what you're saying here.

But I seem to remember there was a Civil Rights Movement in 50's.