Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Headphones

I've never been interested in online gaming, but I've decided to give The Division a real shot, and as such, have decided I wanted to get a headset. I'd also be interested in using it for my TV, and wireless interests me.

After doing a nights worth of research last night, I found that there's really only three options: The Astro A50, The Turtle Beach Elite 800, and the Steelseries Siberia 800.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these? Or any other advice would be welcome?

Default Re: Headphones

Even when it comes to a brand like Sennheiser/AT you will get much better sound quality and value by using a microphone separate from a pair of headphones as opposed to an integrated pair.

That being said, you may prioritize convenience over sound in which case any of those will be fine.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD595's and a clip on mic. You may find a better deal on a similar pair of wireless headphones and mic; I'm not much into the wireless sound scene.

Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Even when it comes to a brand like Sennheiser/AT you will get much better sound quality and value by using a microphone separate from a pair of headphones as opposed to an integrated pair.

That being said, you may prioritize convenience over sound in which case any of those will be fine.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD595's and a clip on mic. You may find a better deal on a similar pair of wireless headphones and mic; I'm not much into the wireless sound scene.

Thanks, you're not the first person I've seen suggest this either. I've read a fair amount about the V-Moda wireless, which then I can just run their boom mic addition through the controller.

So after a bunch more research, I'm leaning more toward Duece's route. I'm looking hard at the Sennheiser RS185, and the VModa Boompro Mic.

After doing some listening, I've decided I like the open back set up more than the complete closed back noise cancelling set up. I may get a wired closed back someday for phone and tablet use.

Anyway, the reviews of the Boompro Mic are great. And I don't mind being teathered to the controller.

Does anyone know if I can just connect the headphones to the TV, I have a new Samsung that I think I can connect Bluetooth? Then I can pump just the mic to the controller?

Those aren't bluetooth. They must have some RF module that connects through RCA and Optical; both of which your TV and receiver must have. That's preferred for sound quality over bluetooth and should be less of a hassle.

Those aren't bluetooth. They must have some RF module that connects through RCA and Optical; both of which your TV and receiver must have. That's preferred for sound quality over bluetooth and should be less of a hassle.

That's what I keep coming back to. I'd like to hook up the headphones through my TV optical line. I'm not using a receiver at the moment, just the TV speaker, which I probably won't change soon, because it's in a smallish bedroom. So I can hook the headset up through the TV's optical output, which should pick up my PlayStation as well. Then it's just the Mic running into the DualShock4.

This way I can use them for both TV and the PlayStation without switching anything ...

I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    That's what I keep coming back to. I'd like to hook up the headphones through my TV optical line. I'm not using a receiver at the moment, just the TV speaker, which I probably won't change soon, because it's in a smallish bedroom. So I can hook the headset up through the TV's optical output, which should pick up my PlayStation as well. Then it's just the Mic running into the DualShock4.

This way I can use them for both TV and the PlayStation without switching anything ...

I think.
    Based on what I read on the product description: yes. As long as Playstation, Headphones, and Mic don't all need a particular output that is limited; i.e. they all need an optical output but your TV only has 1.

I was actually going to do this, but how good are the clip on mics? The quality of my voice on the other end? And do we need amps? I see the Astro's come with one

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    I was actually going to do this, but how good are the clip on mics? The quality of my voice on the other end? And do we need amps? I see the Astro's come with one
    Everything I've read shows the vmoda boommic is the best of the mic add ons.

An 8 dollar Zalman clip on is suitable for everything except recording music.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

You settle on any? Been using the g430 since it was on sale and came with $40 Steam cards. It does the trick since I don't care too much about sound and voice quality (as long as I can hear them/the audio and they can hear me when I speak normally), but they're pretty ugly and I ****ing hate the cord. Wouldn't mind going the wireless route for this.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 02-15-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    You settle on any? Been using the g430 since it was on sale and came with $40 Steam cards. It does the trick since I don't care too much about sound and voice quality (as long as I can hear them/the audio and they can hear me when I speak normally), but they're pretty ugly and I ****ing hate the cord. Wouldn't mind going the wireless route for this.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger, but I intend to go with the Sennheiser closed back wireless and hook up that VModa mic.

I'll let you know when I finally do it.

Part of my reason for doing it is that I really intend to use these for watching TV in bed at least as much as for gaming.

Home of the 16

I need quality headphones now as well. I play a lot of ranked Rainbow Six: Siege. I want to be able to hear footsteps as clear and loud as possible. Game's very sound sensitive, & having a great pair of headphones can help very much especially in a 1v1 close quarter battle situation. By sound sensitive or sound oriented, you can tell if the opponent behind the wall or under the hatchframe is going into a crouch or prone position.

Anyway, do you guys know any next level headphones that would be highly beneficial in my case?

Thanks.

I never followed up with this thread, but I did wind up buying a set of Steelseries H wireless headphones. They're basically the other top end option beyond the Turtle Beach, and the Astro A50. That's pretty much the list for wireless.

I went through tons of reviews for all of them, and basically they've all got some flaw or another. I wound up not really being able to get the mic to work, and really didn't like the clunky set up. It's a DAK box that goes front and back to the PS via optical and USB. Then there's output settings that had to be changed back and forth depending on if you wanted to use it or not. It sounded great. I can't really complain about that at all, but I'm coming from zero in the headset department. I used them for a few weeks on The Division, and eventually just forgot about it. I did wind up playing with a few people online, and after a few sessions, it didn't even seem all that necessary to talk to each other. But again, online play is really not my thing.

I wish I had just bought the Sennheiser and tried to do the conversion, but at the time I just felt like I didn't have the energy to bother with it. I was more interested in a pre-built solution, and wound up not liking it mostly because it wasn't as simple a pre-built solution as I expected.

I probably should've just gone with the PS Gold, at a third of the price, and apparently they just plug a USB dongle and go.

I know they're making a PS Platinum right now, and there's another company, LucidSound, who released a wireless set called the LS30, that looks interesting, and comes in around half what the other high end wireless stuff costs at 150 bucks.

Simplicity of connection is probably my biggest priority in these things. I just haven't seen anything that has that and is still of good quality.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

not wireless, but these are pretty amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-.../dp/B00JJNQG98

fantastic quality and very reasonably priced. in fact, i got them from amazon warehouse for 50 bucks.

@lakers, these would be perfect for r6.