Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    I rule the local playground Fork's Avatar

Default Re: Is Tony Parker a Hall of Famer?

Yup, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    The reason "hardly anyone calls him on it" is because the only people who seem to think he's a choke artists are guys trying to prop up Duncan. We get it, you're bitter becuase Duncan hasn't won a FMVP in 9 years or been the best player on the team in several years and wasn't voted by the coaches as an All-Star like Parker was this year. HE'S STILL A TOP 5 PLAYER OF ALL TIME. Acting like Tony has been no help to him his whole career isn't going to improve his ranking. It's ok. All the greats have had other players like Parker by him...otherwise they wouldn't have had the success they did. Get over it. You're worse than a Lebron or Kobe stan sometimes with Duncan. The Spurs are a great team and for the time being Parker is the best player. That could transition to Kawhi soon, so be happy that the Spurs success continues as the torch is passed. Timmy has continued to show an unbelievable amount of longevity and I for one am ecstatic he's coming back for another one. Stop with the Parker crap though. He doesn't take the summers off like Tim so he's more banged up come the end of the season. This year hopefully we'll have him at full strength and maybe he can get back into MVP talks throughout the season. But please, just stop unless you've got some good evidence more than 2 random games (AND NOT EVEN THE WHOLE GAME...you literally picked out 5 total quarters of play!!!)
    Parker is NOT the best player on the Spurs. Never has been.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Legit question: how many Finals MVP's havent made/arent likely to make the HOF

2nd part: if the answer is none, does anyone think Kawhi Leonard may be the first Finals MVP not to make the HOF. (obviously too early to tell, but its worth a prediction)
    Here's the list of Finals MVPs who are NOT in the Hall of Fame:
    JoJo White
    Cedric Maxwell

the rest of them are either active or haven't yet come up for selection.........
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Chauncey Billups
    Tim Duncan
    Dwyane Wade
    Tony Parker
    Paul Pierce
    Kobe Bryant
    Dirk Nowitzki
    LeBron James
    Kawhi Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyDuncan
    Such a choke artist than in the only elimination game for the spurs, game 7 vs the maws, he dominated with 32 pts on 58% in 34 min.

The portland series was supposed to be a really tough one and he basically destroyed them early in the series.

I'll stop there since you are clearly here to hate on him for whatever reason and nothing I'll write will change that
    clearly had to rep

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Definitely.

Yes.

Better question would be: how many FMVP's are not yet in the HoF but definitely deserve to be?... Answer would be Jo Jo White. Cornbread was a really good player and won FMVP (that should've went to Bird) but not really a HoF'er, at all.
    JoJo was Glen Rice of his days, maybe not that good.

Threat to score at all times but overall... All-Star level no more.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Parker is NOT the best player on the Spurs. Never has been.
    Why was he the only All Star this year?

Why was he the only All Star this year?
    Hype.

Decent college freshman

The reason "hardly anyone calls him on it" is because the only people who seem to think he's a choke artists are guys trying to prop up Duncan.

We get it, you're bitter becuase Duncan hasn't won a FMVP in 9 years or been the best player on the team in several years and wasn't voted by the coaches as an All-Star like Parker was this year. HE'S STILL A TOP 5 PLAYER OF ALL TIME. Acting like Tony has been no help to him his whole career isn't going to improve his ranking. It's ok. All the greats have had other players like Parker by him...otherwise they wouldn't have had the success they did. Get over it.

You're worse than a Lebron or Kobe stan sometimes with Duncan. The Spurs are a great team and for the time being Parker is the best player.
    If that was true I would hate Manu but I consider him one of the best shooting guards in NBA history.

That could transition to Kawhi soon, so be happy that the Spurs success continues as the torch is passed.
    I actually like Kawhi a lot. He's shown up for every Finals he's been a part of. Can't say the same for Tony.

Stop with the Parker crap though. He doesn't take the summers off like Tim so he's more banged up come the end of the season.
    That's his own fault. It shows Tim cares more about the team than Tony. Then again, that's not surprising. Back in 2011, Parker said the Spurs were done as contenders.

This year hopefully we'll have him at full strength and maybe he can get back into MVP talks throughout the season. But please, just stop unless you've got some good evidence more than 2 random games (AND NOT EVEN THE WHOLE GAME...you literally picked out 5 total quarters of play!!!)
    Two games? I have most of his playoff career as proof.

I call Parker a choke artist because he always fails to live up to his great regular season performances in the playoffs. In the reg season he has pretty great career numbers. Come playoff time, his efficiency plummets and he has trouble running a proper offense. Compare his regular season(RS) and post-season(PS) stats. His numbers fall across the board:

PER RS: 19.1
    PER PS: 17.4

WS/48 RS: .151
    WS/48 PS: .091

TS% RS: .551
    TS% PS: .516

ORtg RS: 109
    ORtg PS: 103

DRtg RS: 104
    DRtg PS: 107

We all know about last year's Finals chokejob. He got outplayed by Mario Chalmers in game 6 and 7. Shot 6-23 in game 6. 3-12 in game 7. Averaged a mediocre 15 ppg on 47% TS. People go to great lengths to blame Ginobili for a few turnovers or to blame Duncan for missing a layup while ignoring how truly awful Parker was in the Finals. I don't think any other first option in NBA history has played THAT bad in an NBA Finals. I'd have to look up the numbers though.

How about this year? Played terrible against the Mavs until game 7. Missed the closeout game against the Blazers. Westbrook completely shits on him all series in the Conference Finals to the point where the Spurs look better when Parker is OFF the court. Missed the closeout game against the Thunder forcing the old guys to carry the team(TD, Manu, Diaw). Shot 0-9 against the Heat in the closeout game 5. Miami was blowing SA out while Parker was in game chucking for Finals MVP. The bench unit comes in and saves the day. Parker's backup scores 14 points in the 3rd quarter. TP only started scoring in garbage time when the game was well out of reach for Miami.

How about past series? He was by far the least important member of the Spurs trio during the 2000s. High usage, low efficiency chucker with mediocre court vision.

In 2003 he was horrid. Couldn't run the offense properly at all(96 ORtg in the playoffs). It got to the point that Pop had to replace him in 4th quarters with Speedy Claxton. Really, really bad efficiency too(.468 TS% in the playoffs).

Than there's his awful performance as a second option in 2004. He shot 7-23 in the pivotal game five of the conference semis against LA. Most of his shots should have been going to Duncan or Manu that series.

In 2005, TD and Manu carried the team to the title. Parker was a glorified role player. TS% of .490 throughout the playoffs that year. Horry, Barry, and Bowen were all more important than him.

In 2006, Duncan and Ginobili both had strong playoff performances against the Mavs in a close seven game series. TD averaged 32 pts/12 rebs on .61 TS% against Dallas. Ginobili averaged 21 ppg on .64 TS%. Unfortunately, the albatross known as Tony Parker dragged the team down with yet ANOTHER horribly inefficient series. Averaged 20 ppg on an Iverson-esque .47 TS%. Parker's crappy shot selection resulted in numerous wasted possessions.

Parker won Finals MVP in 2007 but it was a hollow award seeing as TD and Manu were both more important than him throughout that post-season run. It's a joke that people claim Parker led them to a title that year. Look at their cumulative stats for the entire 2007 playoffs:

27.4 PER - Duncan
    21.9 PER - Ginobili
    18.7 PER - Parker

Parker took advantage of the biggest mismatch in Finals history with the Cavs using Boobie Gibson to defend him. Meanwhile, Duncan had to deal with Varejao/Ilgauskas and Ginobili had Lebron guarding him for large portions. Makes sense that Parker had such a big series when Cleveland was throwing all their defensive attention towards other players on the Spurs. Mike Brown used to coach under Pop - He knew from personal experience that Parker would choke if he became the primary scoring option(see 2004 playoffs against the Lakers). Unfortunately for Brown, Parker actually had the series of his life and hit most of his jumpers for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    If that was true I would hate Manu but I consider him one of the best shooting guards in NBA history.

I actually like Kawhi a lot. He's shown up for every Finals he's been a part of. Can't say the same for Tony.

That's his own fault. It shows Tim cares more about the team than Tony. Then again, that's not surprising. Back in 2011, Parker said the Spurs were done as contenders.

I call Parker a choke artist because he always fails to live up to his great regular season performances in the playoffs. In the reg season he has pretty great career numbers. Come playoff time, his efficiency plummets and he has trouble running a proper offense. Compare his regular season(RS) and post-season(PS) stats. His numbers fall across the board:

We all know about last year's Finals chokejob. He got outplayed by Mario Chalmers in game 6 and 7. Shot 6-23 in game 6. 3-12 in game 7. Averaged a mediocre 15 ppg on 47% TS. People go to great lengths to blame Ginobili for a few turnovers or to blame Duncan for missing a layup while ignoring how truly awful Parker was in the Finals. I don't think any other first option in NBA history has played THAT bad in an NBA Finals. I'd have to look up the numbers though.

How about this year? Played terrible against the Mavs until game 7. Missed the closeout game against the Blazers. Westbrook completely shits on him all series in the Conference Finals to the point where the Spurs look better when Parker is OFF the court. Missed the closeout game against the Thunder forcing the old guys to carry the team(TD, Manu, Diaw). Shot 0-9 against the Heat in the closeout game 5. Miami was blowing SA out while Parker was in game chucking for Finals MVP. The bench unit comes in and saves the day. Parker's backup scores 14 points in the 3rd quarter. TP only started scoring in garbage time when the game was well out of reach for Miami.

How about past series? He was by far the least important member of the Spurs trio during the 2000s. High usage, low efficiency chucker with mediocre court vision.

In 2003 he was horrid. Couldn't run the offense properly at all(96 ORtg in the playoffs). It got to the point that Pop had to replace him in 4th quarters with Speedy Claxton. Really, really bad efficiency too(.468 TS% in the playoffs).

Than there's his awful performance as a second option in 2004. He shot 7-23 in the pivotal game five of the conference semis against LA. Most of his shots should have been going to Duncan or Manu that series.

In 2005, TD and Manu carried the team to the title. Parker was a glorified role player. TS% of .490 throughout the playoffs that year. Horry, Barry, and Bowen were all more important than him.

In 2006, Duncan and Ginobili both had strong playoff performances against the Mavs in a close seven game series. TD averaged 32 pts/12 rebs on .61 TS% against Dallas. Ginobili averaged 21 ppg on .64 TS%. Unfortunately, the albatross known as Tony Parker dragged the team down with yet ANOTHER horribly inefficient series. Averaged 20 ppg on an Iverson-esque .47 TS%. Parker's crappy shot selection resulted in numerous wasted possessions.

Parker won Finals MVP in 2007 but it was a hollow award seeing as TD and Manu were both more important than him throughout that post-season run. It's a joke that people claim Parker led them to a title that year. Look at their cumulative stats for the entire 2007 playoffs:

27.4 PER - Duncan
    21.9 PER - Ginobili
    18.7 PER - Parker

Parker took advantage of the biggest mismatch in Finals history with the Cavs using Boobie Gibson to defend him. Meanwhile, Duncan had to deal with Varejao/Ilgauskas and Ginobili had Lebron guarding him for large portions. Makes sense that Parker had such a big series when Cleveland was throwing all their defensive attention towards other players on the Spurs. Mike Brown used to coach under Pop - He knew from personal experience that Parker would choke if he became the primary scoring option(see 2004 playoffs against the Lakers). Unfortunately for Brown, Parker actually had the series of his life and hit most of his jumpers for a change.
    Hahahaha you are so selective it is unreal. You pick all these random games and quarters...literally you pick every one of Parker's worst games from his whole career and make no mention of his amazing performances or buzzer beaters or huge sequences (see the final 2 mins of last year's G6...about as clutch a closeout sequence as there has ever been).

Then you have the hilarious notion to say that Manu has a "few" turnovers. Hahahahaha how ridiculously blind are you. Do you not understand Manu had the worst game of his entire career in that game? Do you not realize he never in any other game of his career turned the ball over 8 times? And you're going to blame an injured Parker who hit the game-tying 3, stole the ball, then hit the go ahead shot in the last 2 minutes?

Then you're going to try to leassen his FMVP because they had mediocre defenders on him? Then what about Duncan's last 2 finals? Who has he had on him? Bosh? Birdman? Are those supposed to be good defenders or something? And you lessen the impact of Parker's 2007 FMVP by saying the others were garnering the defensive attention? Well, what about the past 2 Finals where Parker was the one who was defended by James? Want to mention the flip side of the coin or just pretend like he didn't open up the offense by drawing the hardest hedging I've ever seen in a playoff series. It was basically a double every time he touched the ball.

The fact is Parker is still an All-Star...want to address that? And he's still considered the Spurs best player by most. He was the highest scorer in every playoff series this year except the one he was most severely injured in and had to miss significant time. The offense still runs through him. So bring up all the random selective stats you want but Parker's numbers increase in the playoffs every year.

27.4 PER - Duncan
    21.9 PER - Ginobili
    18.7 PER - Parker

You talk like Parker's production drops in the playoffs. Here's his regular season vs playoffs PPG every year:

2014 - 16.7 to 17.4
    2013 - 20.3 to 20.6
    2012 - 18.3 to 20.1
    2011 - 17.5 to 19.7
    2010 - 16.0 to 17.3
    2009 - 22.0 to 28.6
    2008 - 18.8 to 22.4
    2007 - 18.6 to 20.8
    2006 - 18.9 to 21.1
    2005 - 16.6 to 17.2
    2004 - 14.7 to 18.4
    2003 - 15.5 to 14.7
    2002 - 9.2 to 15.5

So literally his scoring has gone up in the playoffs every year except one. Guess who can't say that? Your boy Duncan, whose scoring went down in the playoffs in '98, '04, & '11 (and then obviously in '00, when Duncan "quit" on his team, like you say Parker did). Overall, Duncan's scoring goes up 1.4 PPG over his career in the playoffs, whereas Parker's goes up 1.8. Duncan is close here though, so you've got to give that to him.

So quit acting like he shrinks in the playoffs. If you want to start getting into advanced stats, that's fine, go ahead if you think that makes your case. But Parker's not coming up empty in the playoffs like you want to suggest.
    Last edited by ninephive; 06-26-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Hype.
    You do realize it was the coaches who voted him there right?

And you do realize in the last 3 years Duncan has made 1 All-Star team and Parker has made it every year right? Hype every time or what?
    Last edited by ninephive; 06-26-2014 at 12:49 AM.

27.4 PER - Duncan
    21.9 PER - Ginobili
    18.7 PER - Parker

Well, if I were Parker, I would take that as a compliment to have created the "biggest mismatch in Finals history." Wow, that's saying something.

Was this the same set of guards who held Billups to 15.3 PPG on .429 shooting a series earlier? Or Jason Kidd to 15.2 on .418 the one before that?

So how does Parker go for 24.5 on .568 and get no credit?
    Last edited by ninephive; 06-26-2014 at 01:00 AM.

27.4 PER - Duncan
    21.9 PER - Ginobili
    18.7 PER - Parker

So many crazy statements...how the heck is a 16.7/3.7/5.5 on .401 shooting guy more important than a 20.8/5.8/3.4 on .480 shooting guy? Where do you get this crap man?
    Last edited by ninephive; 06-26-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Here's the list of Finals MVPs who are NOT in the Hall of Fame:
    JoJo White
    Cedric Maxwell

the rest of them are either active or haven't yet come up for selection.........
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Chauncey Billups
    Tim Duncan
    Dwyane Wade
    Tony Parker
    Paul Pierce
    Kobe Bryant
    Dirk Nowitzki
    LeBron James
    Kawhi Leonard
    Huh, interesting list.

All of those guys other than Parker, Billups, and Leonard are locks.

I think Parker has a good shot, Billups has a chance but not a very good one, and it's too early to say for Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Huh, interesting list.

All of those guys other than Parker, Billups, and Leonard are locks.

I think Parker has a good shot, Billups has a chance but not a very good one, and it's too early to say for Leonard.
    yeah that's about how I see that too. Unfortunate for Chauncey dude is a true class act and a great great player and he should be there imo but in today's game it's all about stats which is the opposite of what he was about.