Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In a relationship with someone significantly smarter than me, need advice

Been in a relationship with a girl who I consider to be a lot more intelligent than I am for about 2 months. Even though I've always had a tendency to underestimate myself and realize I'm not dumb compared to a lot of people I've stumbled upon over the years, I'm just being honest with myself.... So far things have gone fairly well, but there are times when I run out of things to talk about that make awkward silences...To the point she's commented on it....A lot of it has to do with the fact I don't expose myself to nearly as much information as she does on a daily basis but at the same time if I did, I know I wouldn't be able to comprehend it nor talk about it on her level....So my question is, do you think a relationship can work when one of the partners is SIGNIFICANTLY smarter than the other? And what advice would you give to someone like me to be able to actually stimulate her in conversation? I've tried asking her about the things she's passionate about more, but there's only so many times someone can give you information about them self without expecting something on the same level in return. Even the things that I consider myself passionate about now I cant talk about in as much depth as she does the things she enjoys. I feel like an Atari 2600 hanging out with a ps4. I'm realistic knowing it's a young relationship and it wont be the end of the world if it ends....I'm just aiming for someone who I never would of even thought about trying to get in the past out of fear of what I just told you, but refuse to just twiddle my thumbs and give up.

Is it just as simple as trying to expose myself to more and hope that the knowledge I do gain though not on the same level as her will be appreciated....Hoping that it's enough to put a spark into things again

Love Live Life

Default Re: In a relationship with someone significantly smarter than me, need advice

Just be yourself

Default Re: In a relationship with someone significantly smarter than me, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Just be yourself

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Next time there is an awkward silence, be like "the fellas get it". If she doesn't budge, smack her directly across the mouth.
    I chuckled

alot of couples are like that, guy is a brute and the woman is the sophisticated type. You can learn to be interested in the more sophisticated things like politics, technology, reading ect. but if thats not really your thing then dont do it just to be someone you think she will like. If you are the inert type and dont always speak whats on your mind, then its probably not a good match

you probably want someone that can sit in the passenger seat quiet, but still not feel awkward.

also i think the problem is is that you are starting to judge her and putting her as "better" than you. dont do that breh.
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 06-09-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Just be yourself
    It is good advice though to be serious. Since she's as smart as she is I found myself being more self critical as things got more serious. The first few dates, when I felt free to be myself were some of the best times I've had with someone

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Next time there is an awkward silence, be like "the fellas get it". If she doesn't budge, smack her directly across the mouth.

LMFAO

Dude just f*ck it. You are never going to be smarter than her and she knows it. She's not with you for your smarts, if you know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Dude just f*ck it. You are never going to be smarter than her and she knows it. She's not with you for your smarts, if you know what I mean...

What does she talk about that makes you feel so dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    A lot of it has to do with the fact I don't expose myself to nearly as much information as she does on a daily basis but at the same time if I did, I know I wouldn't be able to comprehend it nor talk about it on her level....
    Well it all starts with making an effort.

PLEASE read "Love is a Fallacy" by Max Schulman. Excellent short story on love and what people don't get about it.

http://www.whstigers.org/UserFiles/S...%20Fallacy.pdf

Your answer is in there. ( it's good news)

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    What does she talk about that makes you feel so dumb?
    Yeah...you can't leave this out. But that giant paragraph with grammatical errors left and right makes me think it must be a lot.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

I have never thought a woman was smarter than me.

Better manipulator? Sure. More immoral? Absolutely.

Just be willing to learn from her and be a good listener. She will appreciate you trying to engage in things outside of your comfort zone instead of being awkwardly silent because you don't already know everything.