Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default 2015 U.S. Open of Tennis

I know it's still 2 weeks away, but I wanted to make this thread early so I could talk about the amazing Roger Federer. For those who missed the last tourney, old-man Federer dismantled prime Murray (who is on fire right now) and prime Djoker with the most majestic, well-rounded tennis I've ever seen played. Roger was serving like a wizard, and hitting both his forehand and backhand with an assassin's accuracy. The most impressive aspect of Rogers game was his volley play, which completely embarrassed both prime Murray and prime Djoker, as they attempted to play pure defensive tennis from the baseline, something that plagues this current generation in my opinion.

Honestly, if you're a fan of tennis, try and watch Fed's last two matches. You won't see a more impressive display of tennis artistry, perhaps in the history of the sport. That said, beating Murray and Djoker in a 5-setter at the U.S. Open will be a much more difficult task, mainly because many modern day 5-setters are determined by physical prowess, not talent... and at the age of 34, winning a 5-6 hour match against a prime Murray or prime Djoker is an uphill battle.

I'll post more about the U.S Open as it gets closer. I just wanted to gush about my boy Fed today.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Re: 2015 U.S. Open of Tennis

He beat Djoker? Didn't know that. Djoker is having an insane season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    He beat Djoker? Didn't know that. Djoker is having an insane season this year.

I was actually more impressed with his win over Murray, who is playing the best tennis of his career, and who beat Djoker in a final just two weeks ago.

federer looked great today .. taking out the world #1 .. this 34 yr old .. .. he has that classic tennis game .. very pleasing to watch

new one was made, the other one has a better OP but this was first meh

Local High School Star

Damn, sorry dude, didn't know there was already a thread. I suppose I'll just post my OP from the other thread.

Also, thanks for the props AW!

------------------------------------------------

So, its the last major of the year. Fed is in sublime form, but sadly, in a BO5 on the slower Flushing Meadows courts (slower than Cincy I mean), it might be too much to expect him to win.

Nadal has a rough draw and has Djokovic in his quarter. Faces Coric in the first round, who beat him in straight sets last year in Basel, albeit that was a Nadal that was out of sorts.

Murray got over the Djokovic hump by beating him in Montreal, first time since Wimbledon 2013 that he's beaten Nole. Hes on Federers side of the draw and even though Fed has had his number, these courts are much slower than Wimbys and Murray has a decisive edge in endurance given the age difference. 5 sets could spell trouble for RF, sigh. Murray-Kyrgios is a really interesting first round match.

I have no clue why Djokovic didn't tank Cincy or not show up. He grinded his way to two summer HC finals and has nothing to show for it. He might have to worry about a potential burn out now.

There are some interesting sleepers too. Nishikori is a terror on hard courts when he's playing sell, pasted Nadal and beat Djokovic at the US Open last year. Wawrinka is so confounding to play against when he redlines. Cilic almost certainly won't defend his title but he has a big game.

My heart says Federer will win, but my head says Novak will capture his second US Open title. Long overdue, it could be argued.
    Last edited by PejaTheSerbSnip; 08-28-2015 at 08:57 PM.

US Open starts today.

Nishikori getting pushed to 5 sets in the first round.

Nishikori is out in the first round. This is devastating for his ranking, considering he was in the Final last year.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Nishikori is out in the first round. This is devastating for his ranking, considering he was in the Final last year.
    ISH logic = better to lose in first round than finals bro.

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    ISH logic = better to lose in first round than finals bro.

Tennis results and ranking transfer from year to year, and players are forced to defend their earned points from the previous season. So Nishikori loses all the points he earned from making the US Open Finals last year.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Tennis results and ranking transfer from year to year, and players are forced to defend their earned points from the previous season. So Nishikori loses all the points he earned from making the US Open Finals last year.
    Ever heard of a joke?

Ever heard of a joke?
    He is a Roger Federer stan, they don't know how to take jokes. All business-like and hoping someone else knocks out Nadal for him

Sharapova not playing, not like she would have had any effect of standing in Serena's way

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    All business-like and hoping someone else knocks out Nadal for him.

I'd be surprised if Nadal made it out of the first round. Possibly the fastest fall from grace in the history of the sport. Sad, really.

Ever heard of a joke?

I was just explaining the ranking system for those who may not know how it works. It's certainly different than most ranking systems.

I'd be surprised if Nadal made it out of the first round. Possibly the fastest fall from grace in the history of the sport. Sad, really.
    If only he could drop far enough to play Federer in the 1st round Knowing how protected Fed is, none of the tourneys would allow it.