Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Jeremy Lin talks about how race led colleges, NBA to snub him on 60 Minutes

60 minute piece was done LAST YEAR, originally supposed to air in Nov/Dec.

Seriously doubt 60 minute would do a similar segment today since its no longer topical. But JLin doing quite well with Houston. It's actually a blessing he's running n gunning with D'antoni-like new gun Rockets instead of slow and old Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    It was a nice story last year, but now he's milking this. I don't care about Lin anymore. I'm happy for him, but that's it. I don't care if he's a martian from Mars. Who cares if you are Asian?

Like somebody said, I have a hard time feeling sorry for a millionaire Harvard graduate who plays something he loves for a living.

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Jeremy Lin talks about how race led colleges, NBA to snub him on 60 Minutes

Im Asian and this stuff is annoying. He is clearly using the race card to benefit him and make it more than it is. Asian Americans can ball too, its just many of us arent made to become more than gang bangers and blue collar workers. If he think he has it bad because he is Asian, he should look at the majority of the race that isnt nearly as successful as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. NBA
    Im Asian and this stuff is annoying. He is clearly using the race card to benefit him and make it more than it is. Asian Americans can ball too, its just many of us arent made to become more than gang bangers and blue collar workers. If he think he has it bad because he is Asian, he should look at the majority of the race that isnt nearly as successful as he is.
    Gang bangers and blue collar workers?

Aren't you guys all supposed to be smart math nerds who end up in finance or something?

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

LOL at this thread. Are you guys serious?

OF COURSE he was underrated because of his race. How often do you hear of a 6'4'' Asian guard and honestly think, "Oh, he'd be a stunning addition to my team!"

Even after Linsanity, you had the media claiming he wasn't athletic or he wasn't fast or all that sh*t, throwing around adjectives implying he was crafy or smarter than the other players (Harvard education, notwithstanding).

And he's not complaining. They asked him a direct question and he answered it. You're not supposed to feel sorry for him. The way some of you reacted, it sounds like you want us to feel sorry for you.

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

What a load of bunk. He's just crying for attention at this point.

You don't see LeBron crying about being held back by his race.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

He got snubbed because of race and he got paid because of race. I do believe it made it harder to make it, but once he did, he became a novelty thus he got paid more. In the end, it really worked out for him, but I think the bigger picture is that there are likely other asians (and Hispanics and people from the Middle East) in the U.S. that get overlooked in basketball simply because of their race. In the end, I worry less about race discrimination in basketball than I do in other fields of life, including average jobs of Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    You don't see LeBron crying about being held back by his race.
    That is because black people are widely accepted in basketball. Take away his athletic prowess and his race may have become a bigger issue in life.

Will he talk about how he snubbed the team that gave him a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Wasn't he a restricted free agent? They could have matched. Besides, he was being pushed out by Melo anyway and the coach that gave him a chance is no longer there.

Didn't the Knicks tell him to go out and test the market?

Teams weren't exactly knocking his door for him to join them.

Only the Rockets offered a contract and since he wanted to play in the NBA, he had to take it.

The fact that the Knicks FO told Lin to test out the market is a give away that they didn't want him back.

Carmelo and JR obviously made their feelings known about Lin and his "ridiculous" contract.

Knicks gave Lin a chance only because they needed bodies to fill their rosters short handed due to injuries. Lucky for Lin, Baron got hurt, Bibby, shumpert,and toney played like crap...if it wasn't for those circumstances, Lin would've been out ta the league.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djahjaga
    LOL at this thread. Are you guys serious?

OF COURSE he was underrated because of his race. How often do you hear of a 6'4'' Asian guard and honestly think, "Oh, he'd be a stunning addition to my team!"

Even after Linsanity, you had the media claiming he wasn't athletic or he wasn't fast or all that sh*t, throwing around adjectives implying he was crafy or smarter than the other players (Harvard education, notwithstanding).

And he's not complaining. They asked him a direct question and he answered it. You're not supposed to feel sorry for him. The way some of you reacted, it sounds like you want us to feel sorry for you.

This. Also, saw this in the Houston newspaper earlier but Lin had a pretty good point, he said something about people always calling him "deceptively" quick, etc when it's obvious that he's just fast and there's nothing deceptive about that lol.

Anyways yeah, he just answered some questions but folks are acting like he goes to the media bitching about that kind of stuff.
    Sure they "gave him a chance" and he benefited from it hugely...but they also did too, they were down to what, Mike Bibby? Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by PotOdds
    60 minute piece was done LAST YEAR, originally supposed to air in Nov/Dec.

Seriously doubt 60 minute would do a similar segment today since its no longer topical. But JLin doing quite well with Houston. It's actually a blessing he's running n gunning with D'antoni-like new gun Rockets instead of slow and old Knicks.
    Thread should have ended right here.

Really guys? Really?

Interviewer specifically asked him about not being offered any scholarships out of high school, and he said it's partly because he's Asian. Which is true; what California Player of the Year has not been offered a single Div1 scholarship?

He said nothing about the NBA. You can really tell you read the thread title and spew garbage and the people who actually fkin' read the article.

He always mentions race. You could ask him if he liked his hamburger and he'd say he did but he remembers that time the burger joint didn't give him his hamburger quickly because he's chinese. I'm glad he moved on, it worked out for him, and the fact is he worries too much about pressure and too much about race and how it affected him. He doesn't strike me as a guy who is good to have in a pressure situation.