Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Poor Blake Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    True, but Beasley played against weaker opponents I thought with weaker competition?
    They played in the same conference but Kansas State was able to play weak north teams twice (minus Kansas. They werent weak lol) and OU had to play strong south teams twice.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Beasley had one of the best college seasons ever, all in less years then Griffin as well.

I don't see anything that Griffin does better then Beasley apart from rebound.

Beasley was just as dominant in the post when he played in college if not more so.
    Beasley didn't win college player of the year, he wasn't part of a top 5 team, and did not go as far as the Elite 8. So no he wasn't not as good nor as dominant as Blake was.

Best college seasons ever? Yeah right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Beasley didn't win college player of the year, he wasn't part of a top 5 team, and did not go as far as the Elite 8. So no he wasn't not as good nor as dominant as Blake was.

+1.

Glenn Robinson had the best 2 individual college seasons of the last 20 years.

Hey wang, Plowking is extremely high on Beasley and its really hard to have an argument with him regarding Beasley as a player.

Beasley is a better player than griffin and has more moves in the aresenal. Has a good midrange jumpshot that he hits consistently, griffin is just explosive and raw. No alot of options offensive, can dunk but thats about it. If I were the clips I would try to trade the number one pick to a team for a lot of picks so that they can have a bench next year as well.

So now team success has to do with how dominant a single player is? I guess Shaq wasn't the most dominant because certain players went further then him during some years...

And yes, Beasley's season is considered to be one of the best freshman seasons of all time. 26 and 13 I believe.

Interminator, I'm high on Beasley, but I hardly see how I am being unreasonable in any of the discussions about him. People say he won't average more then 18ppg in his career. I mean the guy averaged 14 and 5.5 this season in just 25 minutes per game and people are calling him a bad pick. Can anyone honestly justify saying that. That rookie season tells me he's going to be a special player if he can produce like that in such a small amount of playing time.

Thus I don't see what Griffin does better and how he'll be a better NBA player. He might have a slightly better rookie season, though most likely in more minutes. I just can't see him being better then Beasley over his career.

Banned

the front line of griffin and thornton with possibly camby as well (if they dont trade him) is too good to be true
    if there ever was a situation the clippers wanted to PROVE they could mess up, its this one lol
    but in all honesty good luck to them

So now team success has to do with how dominant a single player is?
    Ofcourse it does. Blake dominated college more than Beasley did and it's clear to that. Other than average 26/13, what did Beasley do that proves he was on the same level as Blake? Win more? No. Collect the most prestigious awards? No. Tie/break major NCAA records? No. Nothing has pointed to any sort of conclusion that Beasley did as much as Blake has.

I guess Shaq wasn't the most dominant because certain players went further then him during some years...
    Dominance doesn't require excelling one field, it takes into consideration multiple fields and aspects to prove that you are dominant. All of them as a collective whole are used to prove a point. If you're going to take each individual one and debate it you're missing the bigger picture.

And yes, Beasley's season is considered to be one of the best freshman seasons of all time. 26 and 13 I believe.
    You didn't say freshman seasons. You said college seasons and you're clearly wrong. If you want to correct yourself I'll be fine with it, but you clearly said "college seasons."

Ofcourse it does. Blake dominated college more than Beasley did and it's clear to that. Other than average 26/13, what did Beasley do that proves he was on the same level as Blake? Win more? No. Collect the most prestigious awards? No. Tie/break major NCAA records? No. Nothing has pointed to any sort of conclusion that Beasley did as much as Blake has.

Dominance doesn't require excelling one field, it takes into consideration multiple fields and aspects to prove that you are dominant. All of them as a collective whole are used to prove a point. If you're going to take each individual one and debate it you're missing the bigger picture.

You didn't say freshman seasons. You said college seasons and you're clearly wrong. If you want to correct yourself I'll be fine with it, but you clearly said "college seasons."
    I did indeed mean to say freshman.

Throughout the year and after the season you simply didn't hear as much fuss over Griffin's season as you did Beasley's.

Lebron was considered by some to be the most dominant player last season despite Kobe going further then he did in the playoffs. Wilt was considered to be the most dominant player of his time despite a player winning 11 titles to his 2. Dominance is individual.

Eh? Beasley looks like Jamison. Can put up numbers but looks like a guy that won't make teammates better and can't put in work on the other end.

Griffin just looks like a raw beast a legit PF. He has the chance to be a two-way, franchise guy - unlike Beasley.

Will he be better? Can't say now but would GMs roll the dice on what Blake could be vs. what Beasley is likely to be? Probably.

Throughout the year and after the season you simply didn't hear as much fuss over Griffin's season as you did Beasley's.
    I don't know where you live but I heard nothing but Griffin throughout this year and I'm one of the foremost college basketball fans on this board. Way more than Beasley got last year. Beasley came out to a hot start last year with his numbers but then started to cool off after the conference season and his team posted a modest record. His numbers started to dip and questions were asked about his toughness whereas Blake kept his engine going. He did nothing but post big numbers and big wins.

Lebron was considered by some to be the most dominant player last season despite Kobe going further then he did in the playoffs. Wilt was considered to be the most dominant player of his time despite a player winning 11 titles to his 2. Dominance is individual.
    Do you truly believe that Beasley dominated college last year? You're throwing out the best names in all of basketball in trying to prove a point for Michael Beasley. He averaged 26/13. Excellent numbers, but they're not record setting nor did they take Kansas State far. So what does it exactly mean for Beasley? Blake Griffin excelled in numbers and winning games. He won the every high honor there is in college basketball. He was part of a team that was as high as #2 overall and was a 2 seed in the tournament. Beasley's Kansas State was an 11 seed. LeBron was the NBA's leading scorer, had the EC's 4th best record, and took the the Celtics to 7 games--more than Kobe did. Wilt set major statistical records that stand today... and you want to say that Beasley did something similar and deserves credit for it? I don't get it. What did he do? Average 26/13 on a virtual bubble team? What's the difference between that and Stephen Curry averaging 29/5/6 on another bubble team this year?

These guys you're saying, they lost to eventual champions. Blake lost to UNC, the eventual champion. LeBron lost to the Celtics, the eventual champion. Wilt lost to the Celtics the eventual champions. Beasley? He lost to Wisconsin and they didn't have a single NBA player on that team. Brian Butch was their best front court player. Wisconsin eventually lost to a 10th seeded team. Come on now, and you're comparing Beasley to these guys' dominance? Give me a break now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Beasley is a better player than griffin and has more moves in the aresenal. Has a good midrange jumpshot that he hits consistently, griffin is just explosive and raw. No alot of options offensive, can dunk but thats about it. If I were the clips I would try to trade the number one pick to a team for a lot of picks so that they can have a bench next year as well.
    Griffin shows range up to 15 feet out, hes not consistently hitting them but he shows the ability to do so.

College superstar

Griffin would turn into the best player in the league within 4 years if drafted by any other team. Olowokandi would've been way better than KG or Duncan but....Clippers are cursed. You could replace them with the Olympic team and they'd go .500.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Griffin would turn into the best player in the league within 4 years if drafted by any other team. Olowokandi would've been way better than KG or Duncan but....Clippers are cursed. You could replace them with the Olympic team and they'd go .500.
    Pretty much. I mean, even before Griffin, this is a team that looks pretty good on paper

Baron
    Eric Gordon
    Thorton
    Zach Randolph
    Kaman/Camby

with Deandre Jordan and Steve Novak coming off the bench. That's a team that should be good for at least 45 wins, but because of the Clipper Curse or whatever, they win 19 games. I don't get it. Their young guys are good, but they seem to have a knack for acquiring flawed players who can excel in the right system, but then not playing the kind of system they'd excel in.
    Last edited by GiveItToBurrito; 05-20-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Local High School Star

Does anyone really think Griffin can succeed with Dunleavy coaching? Honest question, I'm not entirely convinced he can.

Will they get a new coach? It seems like Sterling has been more concerned about $$ than putting the team in a position to win, and I'm not sure that will change after he shelled out money for last year's team. Plus the economy can't be helping.

So really, I'm concerned that Dunleavy is going to be coaching Griffin until his contract runs out and will keep with his philosophy of just exploiting mis-matches and slow tempo. I'm not sure either will really help Griffin at this young age. He needs to run.

I could be wrong though, just wondering what everyone else thinks...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    You might be right the Clippers are cursed but even you aren't that dumb. better than Duncan.