Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I rule the local playground keepinitreal's Avatar

Default Re: America is full of materialistic idiots

Never confuse income with wealth.

Without wealth, your income depends on having a job (with some exceptions).

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitreal
    Never confuse income with wealth.

Without wealth, your income depends on having a job (with some exceptions).
    What I realize when I first read "rich dad, poor dad" was the entire book center around one premise,"The poor spend their money on luxuries, the rich spend their money on investments and assets." I believe consumerism is the sole reason why the poor keep on getting poorer and the rich keep on getting richer.

The idea is if you spend all your money (including money you don't have by taking out loans and credit cards) on stupid bullsh*t like 2 extra shoe lace holes in your shoes, you won't have money to invest. You can't move up in society if you are living paycheck to paycheck (yes including those who make $60,000 or more): I know a few people who make that much money and they end up spending 2x more than they make.

And the only reason why they do it is to impress other people, which is so lame. How pathetic do you have to be to front a nice car or house to try to gain some respect? Nobody really gives a sh*t about that to be honest; because what happens when someone sees a show off? They either get jealous or they hate the person which beats the whole purpose of showing off in the first place.

If you want to impress someone, learn to have a personality for starters; accomplish something in your life through hard work that would constitute as "talent;" or better yet *gasp* be a respectable human being who people can view as having integrity and a bit of compassion. Have a sense of humor; that's also a great trait that will impress the ladies more than having a few more horse power in your car.

My point is, we're so obsessed with materialism we are forgetting the little things that makes each and everyone of us special as individuals; we don't need to keep up with the jonses to impress other people. F*ck them if they can't like us for who we are.

I can't believe some cry baby negged me for this thread:

"everybody is stupid except you!"

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or an insult, but if it's an insult, seriously, go cry to mommy; this is a beautiful thread with a deep meaning behind it.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    it's not just america...
    This, I'm born and raised in Sweden and I've been in the US for longer periods and you guys are no different compared to the average swede.

In fact, I've been in alot of countries and I've seen the same pattern everywhere I've been, it's not just the US.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    What I realize when I first read "rich dad, poor dad" was the entire book center around one premise,"The poor spend their money on luxuries, the rich spend their money on investments and assets." I believe consumerism is the sole reason why the poor keep on getting poorer and the rich keep on getting richer.

The idea is if you spend all your money (including money you don't have by taking out loans and credit cards) on stupid bullsh*t like 2 extra shoe lace holes in your shoes, you won't have money to invest. You can't move up in society if you are living paycheck to paycheck (yes including those who make $60,000 or more): I know a few people who make that much money and they end up spending 2x more than they make.

And the only reason why they do it is to impress other people, which is so lame. How pathetic do you have to be to front a nice car or house to try to gain some respect? Nobody really gives a sh*t about that to be honest; because what happens when someone sees a show off? They either get jealous or they hate the person which beats the whole purpose of showing off in the first place.

If you want to impress someone, learn to have a personality for starters; accomplish something in your life through hard work that would constitute as "talent;" or better yet *gasp* be a respectable human being who people can view as having integrity and a bit of compassion. Have a sense of humor; that's also a great trait that will impress the ladies more than having a few more horse power in your car.

My point is, we're so obsessed with materialism we are forgetting the little things that makes each and everyone of us special as individuals; we don't need to keep up with the jonses to impress other people. F*ck them if they can't like us for who we are.
    I say think about it this way: You have the mindset of a 1%er. Let all those other dudes be 99%. Less competition for you.

Great book BTW.

It's equal or worse in other countries. Actually, I can't think of even one place on Earth where the situation is better besides the country of Bhutan. That is the only country I know of that is more concerned about the happiness of their people than GDP.

Quote Originally Posted by bbp1aya
    I say think about it this way: You have the mindset of a 1%er. Let all those other dudes be 99%. Less competition for you.

Great book BTW.
    I agree.

Great book. I'm starting to learn how to think like a rich person; all these years of blowing money on stupid bullsh*t like name brand clothes, cars, girls, parties, etc. have only resulted in one thing: making me broke. It is all about saving and investing from here on out.

Rich dad poor dad. I highly recommend this book.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    It's equal or worse in other countries. Actually, I can't think of even one place on Earth where the situation is better besides the country of Bhutan. That is the only country I know of that is more concerned about the happiness of their people than GDP.
    There is a reason why poor countries have such a horrible poor mentality: the rich wants them to be poor, in fact, they even covertly integrate it in their educational system to make them think like a poor person. The higher division in wealth, the more likely the nation will be materialistic. Look at 3rd world countries and see how obsessive the poor is; some are willing to give up their entire livelihood, body, and soul just to drive a nice car and wear name brand clothes (mail order brides).

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or an insult, but if it's an insult, seriously, go cry to mommy; this is a beautiful thread with a deep meaning behind it.
    That wasn't me who negged you, but beautiful thread with deep meaning? You post like some little kid who is just discovering many things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    That wasn't me who negged you, but beautiful thread with deep meaning? You post like some little kid who is just discovering many things in life.
    At least I'm discovering homeboy.

I might not be as complex as you, but I do take pride in learning and having an open mind.

America needs more smart people to click ads.

Two extra holes...for laces...

Hume>Kunt.

IamRambo getting emotional.

What's wrong with being materialistic? To be materialistic simply means you want new things to help improve your life. Those things might not be NEEDS, but who cares? Do we really need toilet paper? Do kids really need toy cars? No.. but those things make life that much sweeter. I'd rather be in a materialistic society than a third-world society.

To be materialistic doesn't make your life lack meaning, or purpose, or spirit. You can still enjoy love, friendship, and social bonding while being materialistic. Owning nice things doesn't take your humanity from you.

And in my experience, the people who claim to be anti-materialism are usually just as materialistic as anyone else. It sounds nice to bash consumerism, but are you really going to shun cell phones, tv's, video games, laptops, cars, new silverware, new carpeting, new toilet seats, etc etc etc? I don't see the problem in enjoying those things, even being passionate about enjoying those things. It's amazing that we live in the rare human civilization that has been able to enjoy those things in such abundance. Count your blessings.