Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jonas Valanciunas Looking HUGE

Averaged 11/9/1 (Played 28 mpg) in his 2nd NBA season and it's crazy to think he's just 22 years old.

He's already getting stronger and has a couple years before he reaches his prime. Just how good is he going to be when he's around 27 years old?

Default Re: Jonas Valanciunas Looking HUGE

I drafted him in fantasy last year and it was definitely too early. This could be the year though.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

He looks a little heavy, tbh. Appears as though he is sucking in his stomach.

Big daddy V

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    He looks a little heavy, tbh. Appears as though he is sucking in his stomach.
    +1

He's proabbly bulked up a little bit, but he's flexing his chest together and arms while sucking in that stomach too.

In any case I thought Vally would be further along than he us know. The Cavaliers got criticized for not picking Vally and picking Tristan Thompson, but the last two years Thompson has put up 11.7/9.3 in about 31 minutes of play. Which is pretty spot on to Vally, but Vally obviously has a higher ceiling, but I'm not surprised by him yet.

Plus a good body can only do you so good. You'd think by Enes Kanter's body he's be a super-star an all-star. Although he has improved since 2 seasons ago...

the WHITE side

Hahahaha fat boy

I dont get why Raps fans overrate this dude. Is it cuz hes European and has a a long name thats hard to pronounce?

I get the love for Lowry hes a great player. Demar has a lot of potential but i dont see anything worth overrating in this dude. Hes a run of the mill Euro big with some skills but ultimately wont have much impact

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I really wanted Valanciunas to go along with Kyrie in that 2011 draft, but I'd say he has been a bit of a disappointment so far. He's a solid NBA starter, nothing more. I remember during Summer League last year the word was that he was really going to break out this year.

His minutes increased. His game pretty much stayed the same, at least from what I saw. He's still raw offensively. On the bright side, he committed a lot less fouls, which was a big problem his first year.

But, 11 points and 8.8 rebounds in 28+ minutes a night is pretty good for a second year player, but not exactly the sign of a huge explosion that is imminent. Despite his size, he doesn't strike me as a really great rebounder. He also averaged under a block per game last year, making him a pretty poor rim protector.

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I expected a little better by this stage, though.

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I expected a little better by this stage, though.
    Same, especially since people said he's further along offensively than Thompson ever was and probably ever will be.

Casey is restricting his growth.... those mpg numbers are deceiving too. JV will be looking damn near dominant for the first eight minutes of the game and then be taken out for over a quarter, for no reason... casey just shit all over JV sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    Casey is restricting his growth.... those mpg numbers are deceiving too. JV will be looking damn near dominant for the first eight minutes of the game and then be taken out for over a quarter, for no reason... casey just shit all over JV sometimes.
    that is what I see too. they just take him out and go away from him.

I really wanted Valanciunas to go along with Kyrie in that 2011 draft, but I'd say he has been a bit of a disappointment so far. He's a solid NBA starter, nothing more. I remember during Summer League last year the word was that he was really going to break out this year.

His minutes increased. His game pretty much stayed the same, at least from what I saw. He's still raw offensively. On the bright side, he committed a lot less fouls, which was a big problem his first year.

But, 11 points and 8.8 rebounds in 28+ minutes a night is pretty good for a second year player, but not exactly the sign of a huge explosion that is imminent. Despite his size, he doesn't strike me as a really great rebounder. He also averaged under a block per game last year, making him a pretty poor rim protector.

Although his stateline fails to indicate it, the gap between first and second year Jonas was pretty discernible RB. If you had an opportunity to watch him as closely as I did last season, his level of improvement would have been far more obvious to you.

Throughout much of the season he was also contending against questionable decision making by Casey which I believe stifled his confidence at times. Mind you, I feel like he responded well to the frustrating challenges bestowed on him. His evolution thus far is definitely something that no true Raptor fan is concerned with at this point.

all that bulk isnt good for you knees