Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Why/how is this a 'weak' era?

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Most of them were damn good from 2005-2011. Duncan, Pierce and KG are pretty good even (until the '13 season).
    Forgot to add Rose, BTW (as much as I hate him, he's a damn good player).

Seriously? All the 15 guys I mentioned earlier are getting into the hall. Add:
    Ral Allen
    Ben Wallace
    Gasol
    Carter
    Parker
    Bosh
    Ginobili
    Rose
    Billups (Possibly)
    Yao
    Rasheed (Possibly)
    Rondo

That's 27 players who've had pretty solid seasons in the past 10 years. I'm talking about having MVP/All-Star level seasons.

If you're talking about players who entered the league in the past 10 years, who will end up in the HOF,
    Lebron
    Wade
    Bosh
    Rose
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Yao
    Carmelo
    Dwight
    CP3
    Rondo

Possible candidates, depending on how their careers end up:
    Love
    Harden
    Griffin
    P. George
    Irving

So, NO! This era is most definitely not a "weak" era. Heck, place the '00's Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Heat ('06 and '11), etc. in any era and they'd still be championship level teams. They might not win the same number of titles, but they'd definitely be contenders. The Lakers, '04 Pistons and the Spurs might actually be good enough to actually beat the '90's Bulls.

I do not consider the Iversons, Garnetts, Shaqs, to be of the same era as the Lebrons, Durants, Roses etc.

As I said, eras should be looked at in 5-8 year windows, not 10 year blocks. Actually 5-6 come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Most of them were damn good from 2005-2011. Duncan, Pierce and KG are pretty good even (until the '13 season).
    Forgot to add Rose, BTW (as much as I hate him, he's a damn good player).

Seriously? All the 15 guys I mentioned earlier are getting into the hall. Add:
    Ral Allen
    Ben Wallace
    Gasol
    Carter
    Parker
    Bosh
    Ginobili
    Rose
    Billups (Possibly)
    Yao
    Rasheed (Possibly)
    Rondo

That's 27 players who've had pretty solid seasons in the past 10 years. I'm talking about having MVP/All-Star level seasons.

If you're talking about players who entered the league in the past 10 years, who will end up in the HOF,
    Lebron
    Wade
    Bosh
    Rose
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Yao
    Carmelo
    Dwight
    CP3
    Rondo

Possible candidates, depending on how their careers end up:
    Love
    Harden
    Griffin
    P. George
    Irving

So, NO! This era is most definitely not a "weak" era. Heck, place the '00's Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Heat ('06 and '11), etc. in any era and they'd still be championship level teams. They might not win the same number of titles, but they'd definitely be contenders. The Lakers, '04 Pistons and the Spurs might actually be good enough to actually beat the '90's Bulls.
    Those 3 won't IMO.

This whole era thing can be twisted and turned in so many ways. One person's interpretation of what era a player belonged to is totally different to another. My feeling is, players like Duncan, Dirk, Iverson, Kobe, Shaq come from a different era to Lebron, Durant, Melo, CP3, Howard etc

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Hmmm, so you can't show me what real handchecking looks like.

You just point to a random quote, completely unrelated to it.
    watch the rest of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Those 3 won't IMO.

This whole era thing can be twisted and turned in so many ways. One person's interpretation of what era a player belonged to is totally different to another. My feeling is, players like Duncan, Dirk, Iverson, Kobe, Shaq come from a different era to Lebron, Durant, Melo, CP3, Howard etc
    Bosh and Westbrook won't make it? Bosh is a 2x champion and 8x All-Star already. People with worse resumes have made it into the HOF. Westbrook is young, but he's a definitely gonna make it if he can keep up his current level for play for another another 6-7 years.
    As for Love, as I said, he might make it depending upon how his career turns out.

5-6 year block is an era? Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Dirk, Shaq, Parker, etc. all won titles after the end of their eras.
    Last edited by aj1987; 09-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Its not a weak era.

The culture of the NBA on and off the court is simply weak and it is not going to change.

There isn't really a lack of talented players. Besides the center position, which in comparison to roughly the late 80s to early 2000s is dismal at best. There are a TON of young budding superstars, and plenty of stars in their prime. And a ton more stars who are aging and almost done with epic careers.

The problem is what the NBA game and culture has evolved into. More about athleticism less about talent. Undisputable evidence of officials gambling and blatantly fixing games. Superstars teaming up to make a few top tier teams. Small market teams basically have zero chance of signing free agents, and an even smaller shot at actually competing for a championship.

College basketball is a much more "pure" and honest reflection of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    I completely disagree with the notion that there's a lack of quality bigmen in the NBA nowadays.

After Howard who are the other quality centers? 15-20 years ago there were guys like Hakeem/Drob/Ewing/Zo. Dikembe Mutombo would be the second best center in the league right now. Back then, not so much.

Back then there were Barkley/Malone who are better than any 4 now other than Duncan who is another old timer.

This era is strong for pgs, lousy for centers.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    After Howard who are the other quality centers? 15-20 years ago there were guys like Hakeem/Drob/Ewing/Zo. Dikembe Mutombo would be the second best center in the league right now. Back then, not so much.

Back then there were Barkley/Malone who are better than any 4 now other than Duncan who is another old timer.

Everyone always talks about the center and point guard positions, but always ignore how weak the crop at the 2-guard and at the 4 has been. Think about it, if you consider Tim Duncan a 5 and Melo and Bron 3s then who would you consider the best power forward last year?

Well last year was the easiest road to victory for LeBron imaginable, and yet he still suffered a 7 game series against Indiana and an old-ass Spurs team. Lets see;

Rondo, out. Granger, out. Rose, out. Bynum, out. Carmelo, injured. Westbrook, out. Kobe, out (and the rest of the Lakers team to boot.) And a slew of other all stars also either out for a large portion of the season or playing seriously gimped.

Weak era? You bet your fuggin' ass. All hail the mental midget GOAT, LeBron* James.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Everyone always talks about the center and point guard positions, but always ignore how weak the crop at the 2-guard and at the 4 has been. Think about it, if you consider Tim Duncan a 5 and Melo and Bron 3s then who would you consider the best power forward last year?

Yeah the Barkley/Malone duo takes a dump on anyone now. KG and Dirk have been great but they are both old. I guess Love would be the best young 4.

At the 2 there is Kobe, Wade, Harden. Big dropoff after those 3. I still consider Lebron and Melo as 3s. The swingman position isn't very deep at either spot, but still better than the bigs.

I hate comparing eras because its just impossible to do so on a realistic basis. Michael Jordan in his prime will never be able to face Lebron in his prime. its just useless talking about it but its the internet. If someone believes someone else is wrong, the internet is here for you to debate endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz

Second best? Mutombo is better than Dwight by a lot.

Top to bottom, the NBA has more talent than it ever has.

Arguing current great players vs. past great players is a different discussion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Because you suffer from weak erections
    This.