Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default your reaction when.........

Describe how you felt, and what your expectations were at the time, upon the aquisition of each player on our roster. Then explain how they've met those expectations Here goes:

LeBron James--obviously, I was incredibly excited. His arrival marked the end of the Cavs being a bottomfeeder NBA team. Of course, he has lived and surpasses my own, and everyone else's expectations
Larry Hughes--I was disappointed when we couldn't get Ray Allen or Michael Redd in free agency. However, when I heard we got Hughes, I felt ok with the aquisition at the time. At the very least, I thought he would give us another scorer and a good defender. Turned out to be wrong on both counts. His contract is gonna ultimately prevent the Cavs from moving forward. He's also at the age where he's not going to get any better. He is who is is: a streak shooter who has injury problems and is an overrated defender
Zydrunas Ilgauskas-happy we got a big man, but it was so long ago, that I don't really remember how I felt
Drew Gooden--still feeling crushed over the Boozer loss, I felt somewhat OK by this aquisition. Has proven to be a good rebounder and an energy player, but is rather inconsistent. Until Boozer emerged this season, though, this looked to be a fairly even tradeoff. Now, it's obvious we miss Boozer
Sasha Pavlovic--had no idea what to expect. Has turned out to be a good surprise
Eric Snow--glad we aquired a solid veteran PG at the time, but I am rather upset that he is still such a huge part of the team's plan for 07-08. He should've been put out to pasture by now, but is sadly still the best PG we got (which doesn't say much)
Ira Newble--??
Damon Jones--expected a streaky shooter with a cocky attitude. That's what we got. I expected him to get more minutes than he's gotten, though
Anderson Varejao--knew nothing about the guy, and am pleasantly surprised with what the Cavs have gotten out of him. However, I don't think he's a piece to build around. He wants big money, and isn't worth it in the long run
Shannon Brown--happy with this draft pick and thought he would get more minutes than what he ended up getting
Daniel Gibson--expected a combo guard and a combo guard is what the Cavs have gotten. Didn't realize he was such a clutch player, though
David Wesley--expected a retread player on his last legs and he has certainly met that expectation
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: your reaction when.........

Describe how you felt, and what your expectations were at the time, upon the aquisition of each player on our roster. Then explain how they've met those expectations Here goes:

LeBron James-- When we actually GOT him then i wasn't that excited cuz we had all seen it coming from the second we got the number one pick. But i was still happy for the Cavs and curious to see how good he'd do in the NBA. Then ticket prices doubled and my enthusiasm went down lol

Larry Hughes-- I knew he'd be an injury risk, but i also thought he'd be more of a lockdown defender than he is. Plus i was excited because i rememberd him from his Sixers days and being a high flyer so i was kinda let down on that too

Zydrunas Ilgauskas- Didn't really care back when we got Z. i was more interested in saying Potapenkoooooooooo over and over lol

Drew Gooden-- I remember telling everyone "he'll make you forget about Boozer". Yeah about that lol

Sasha Pavlovic-- I hated him. I like him now.

Eric Snow-- I hated him. I hate him now.

Ira Newble-- No idea...to be honest i don't even remember where he came from haha

Damon Jones--I just knew that he was a hot shooter and that LeBron had thrown it down on him the year before. I also knew that he was a funny guy tho so i welcomed him with open arms

Anderson Varejao-- Oh MAN did i hate him. I just remember when i first used him in NBA Live and he sucked hard. He's grown on me for his heart though so he's honestly won me over.

Shannon Brown-- FREE SHANNON BROWN

Daniel Gibson-- lol i still take credit for discovering Gibson. I remember back when we first got him i used him in 2k7 and dropped 91 with him and since then i've been singin his praises to everyone around here and it took til the playoffs for anyone else to see it. I'm gettin annoyed with the "Boobie" obsession though

David Wesley-- My cousin was a huge Hornets fan back in the Glen Rice days so i remembered Wesley. Didn't really expect much other than leadership on the bench and i guess he delivered
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
steve franchise
Local High School Star

steve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Anderson Varejao-- Oh MAN did i hate him. I just remember when i first used him in NBA Live and he sucked hard. He's grown on me for his heart though so he's honestly won me over.

How about Rafer Alston for Varejao?
steve franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

LeBron James

I was interested to see what the Cavs were going to build around him, and I also thought it was nice that he got to play for his hometown team, which doesn't really happen very often anymore.

Quote:
Larry Hughes
At first I was ok with it, because I thought finally, we have a name player to play with Lebron, and I thought he'd take some of the heat off of him. Then I heard how much we were going to pay him....
Quote:
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Honestly was not happy at all at this pick. Here we were taking a guy who couldn't even play his first season because he was having foot surgery. This was right around the time that we were still lugging around Brad Daugherty's contract since he was milking it saying he was going to come back and play after severe back injuries. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised that Z has been relatively injury free his whole career, and one of the most underrated center's in the league.
Quote:
Drew Gooden
I didn't really know who he was, and after doing some research my first instinct, was why has he bounced around to so many teams so far? Now I know why.
Quote:
Sasha Pavlovic
This was a pretty quiet acquisition. I couldn't really say I heard a whole lot about him. I didn't think we gave up much at the time, and I didn't really know anything about him.
Quote:
Eric Snow
I couldn't understand this one at all. We were an organization that had great point guards like Mark Price, Kevin Johnson, then Terrell Brandon, hell, even Brevin Knight and Andre Miller have panned out well in this league. And then instead of continuing this proud tradition, we pick up a guy who averaged almost nothing in Philly despite playing like 30 minutes per game. Very overrated, IMO. Now it's really starting to show.
Quote:
Ira Newble
I expected him to be solid, but I was surprised at the amount of money. When he got the starting job, I thought I'd be wrong about him, but I think he was probably overpaid. But to be fair, he really hasn't been given any kind of chance since Paul Silas left, and in the two games I remember him getting serious PT in last year, he played extremely well. I think he scored 22 on 6 three pointers in his first game with big minutes last year. I really feel like in the beginning of the year when Larry went down, and Mike Brown was intent on leaving Sasha as the sixth man, that Newble should have gotten a shot. Instead they opted to go with Wesley, then S. Brown, then D. Gibson. Only Gibson really showed anything, and Ira never got his shot.
Quote:
Damon Jones
I've been angry from day 1 about this signing. The biggest reason is the Cavs had been shopping for a point guard all summer, and had several names on their list, and D. Jones was dead last. In a situation very similar to the Larry Hughes thing, D. Ferry goes for the reasoning that the third choice is better than nothing. I really think we wasted our money here, and I think it was apparent in the beginning.
Quote:
Anderson Varejao
Like Gooden, didn't really know who he was. I was surprised he emerged as a fan favorite like he did, but his early enthusiasm and energry, really made that second unit gel with him and Tractor Traylor coming off the bench. I was pissed when we didn't resign Traylor, and instead opted to go with Alan Henderson who did ziltch for us. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a whole lot of improvement in Varejo's game at all, and I think we've gotten what we're going to get from him. Ferry needs to give him the minimum for this year, and let him shop around next season.
Quote:
Shannon Brown
I was presently surprised with this pick. I thought Brown was rated a lot higher than he was taken. Unfortunately, I can't understand why he wasn't given much of a chance to play last year, and when he was, it was often in strange situations. I'm not surprised he didn't respond well. Unfortunately, I didn't see any improvement from him in this year's summer league, either.
Quote:
David Wesley
It's always a bad move to sign someone who wants to retire. I really thought this guy was done before we got him, but I didn't expect him to be quite THIS bad. He should have retired when he wanted to.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 08-13-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Eric Snow would be perfect for 15 minutes per game and as a lockdown defender in crunch time in 4th quarter. It's not his fault that management has put him in the position where he still has to play heavy minutes. He at least gives his best effort and you know he is leaving his heart and soul on the court. That's why I'm not as hard on Snow as I am on other guys such as Gooden/Hughes, etc. He's just put in a spot where he's going to fail........
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Eric Snow would be perfect for 15 minutes per game and as a lockdown defender in crunch time in 4th quarter. It's not his fault that management has put him in the position where he still has to play heavy minutes. He at least gives his best effort and you know he is leaving his heart and soul on the court. That's why I'm not as hard on Snow as I am on other guys such as Gooden/Hughes, etc. He's just put in a spot where he's going to fail........

He's not even effective as a lock down defender because he's a complete liability on the offensive end. He literally has NO offensive value outside of dribbling the ball and setting up an offense. He's not going to make a ton of great passes. He may know the right plays to run, but the Cavs are playing 5 on 4, because he's left open all the time because he can't shoot or score in any way, basically.

Damon Jones is almost the complete opposite. He is a complete liability on the defensive end. Unfortunately his offensive game has completely regressed to where he literally, and I mean LITERALLY does nothing but camp behind the three point line and wait for someone to pass him the ball.

Mathius
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
He's not even effective as a lock down defender because he's a complete liability on the offensive end. He literally has NO offensive value outside of dribbling the ball and setting up an offense. He's not going to make a ton of great passes. He may know the right plays to run, but the Cavs are playing 5 on 4, because he's left open all the time because he can't shoot or score in any way, basically.

Damon Jones is almost the complete opposite. He is a complete liability on the defensive end. Unfortunately his offensive game has completely regressed to where he literally, and I mean LITERALLY does nothing but camp behind the three point line and wait for someone to pass him the ball.

Mathius

At the very end of games, you don't need his offense. Just someone who can dribble the ball up court against intense pressure, get the ball to LBJ, and get out of the way. He's the only guard I trust to do this. Of course, he's a liability the other 43+ minutes, but his defense and his "intangibles" come in play the last 2-3 minutes..........
Old 08-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Mathius

Quote:
At the very end of games, you don't need his offense. Just someone who can dribble the ball up court against intense pressure, get the ball to LBJ, and get out of the way. He's the only guard I trust to do this. Of course, he's a liability the other 43+ minutes, but his defense and his "intangibles" come in play the last 2-3 minutes..........

Like I said, that's just not accurate. Unless we're trying to hold onto a 10 point lead at the end of the game or something, he's just useless.

if you're trading baskets with the other team in the crunch, you can't afford to play 5 on 4.

And M. Brown wasted (yes, WASTED) WAY too many time outs in the playoffs last year, by subbing Snow in for one series of defense late in games, only to sub him out the next play to put some offense back in.

You just can't rely on him.

Mathius
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Like I said, that's just not accurate. Unless we're trying to hold onto a 10 point lead at the end of the game or something, he's just useless.

if you're trading baskets with the other team in the crunch, you can't afford to play 5 on 4.

And M. Brown wasted (yes, WASTED) WAY too many time outs in the playoffs last year, by subbing Snow in for one series of defense late in games, only to sub him out the next play to put some offense back in.

You just can't rely on him.

Mathius

With the scoring imbalance on this team, we're pretty much already playing shorthanded on the offensive end. Noone else on this team (with the exception of Gibson and of course LBJ) deserves to shoot the basketball in crunchtime. I just like having a guy in the final minute who can at LEAST bring the ball up the court, give it to LeBron, get out of the way, and turn around and play defense when it's time.

Any use of him beyond that is too much at this stage of his career
Old 08-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Mathius

Quote:
With the scoring imbalance on this team, we're pretty much already playing shorthanded on the offensive end.

Well, that's true, but that's a whole 'nother issue. Snow is never gonna get any better, and never was any better earlier in his career.

Quote:
I just like having a guy in the final minute who can at LEAST bring the ball up the court, give it to LeBron, get out of the way

Not sure I agree with that philosophy either. Lebron's taken a lot of criticism, particularly in the last year about his supposed inability to move without the ball, but I think that's bs.

What has Mike Brown done every time they are in a close game? He abandons the offense and plays Lebron isolation every play down the floor.

I think we need to setup our offense and run plays. Lebron isolations should be setup for a final shot type scenario. Not every play after the 8 minute mark in the 4th quarter.

Be honest with yourself and ask yourself if you're saying these things about Snow because of his talent level, or because our entire offense is such a joke to begin with?

Mathius
Old 08-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Well, that's true, but that's a whole 'nother issue. Snow is never gonna get any better, and never was any better earlier in his career.

Not sure I agree with that philosophy either. Lebron's taken a lot of criticism, particularly in the last year about his supposed inability to move without the ball, but I think that's bs.

What has Mike Brown done every time they are in a close game? He abandons the offense and plays Lebron isolation every play down the floor.

I think we need to setup our offense and run plays. Lebron isolations should be setup for a final shot type scenario. Not every play after the 8 minute mark in the 4th quarter.

Be honest with yourself and ask yourself if you're saying these things about Snow because of his talent level, or because our entire offense is such a joke to begin with?

Mathius

because our entire offense is such a joke to begin with, to be perfectly honest with you

I don't think Eric Snow was ever an overly talented basketball player. He has gotten by on his heart and intelligence. However, when announcers point out your "intangibles" for a multi-year stretch, that is really just a kind way of saying you suck.

Maybe he can become our head coach sometime down the road because I have a hell of a lot of respect for the dude. Of course, he would need to be an assistant first.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: