are you talking to yourself?
    Are you talking to me?

Default Re: The Obscure Album of the Day

Artist: Terry Callier
    Album: What Color Is Love?
    Genre: N/A

Default Stairsteps: The Obscure Album of the Day

Stairsteps: 2nd Resurrection

Second resurrection, when was their first right? This band (or group) is best known for the song that no one knows the artist who made it. The many times over covered "O-O-Child (Things are gonna get easier ...) That rack was named when they were called The Five Stairsteps. This family unit was discovered by Curtis Mayfield in their hometown of Chicago, Illinois and started out as young children in the mid 60 recording. Another famous young group of kids used to battle them right down the street from Chicago in Gary, Indiana.

Anyways, fast forward 10 years later after they had grown up, had their biggest hit with O-O-Child in 1970, and stopped recording for a while. They got back into it after Billy Preston recommended they get in touch with George Harrison. George signed them to his Dark Horse label and they got together cooking up this classic blend of Rhythm and Blues meets Jazz fusion meets I don't know what else.This album was influenced by the family recent following on the 5% Nation so add that to the mix of an already unique record and you have songs that you just can't skip over.

The first single was track 1, with help in production from Billy Preston, it was a minor hit. But no other singles scratched the charts, the album missed the billboards and they disband once again only to come back a few years later as the Invisible Mans Band.

Pasado, track 2 has to be one of the greatest song ever laid on wax, the cover of the Pockets tune. They outdid the original. Enjoy.

1 From Us To You
    2 Pasado
    3 Theme of the Angel
    4 Lifting 2d Resurrection
    5 Time
    6 Throwing Stones Atcha
    7 Far East
    8 In The Beginning
    9 Tell Me Why?
    10 Salaam

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: The Obscure Album of the Day

How about Nazz Nazz from the early 70's?

Default Walter 'Junie' Morrison: The Obscure Album of the Day

Walter 'JUNIE' Morrison: Suzie*Super*Groupie

Now this is a talented young man right here. He started out in the band The Ohio Players in the late 60s to early 70s, recording on classics like Ecstasy (youngins know it from Big and Jay Brooklyn's Finest) and The Funky Worm. Later on in the 70s, he would join the Parliament-Funkadelic crew on tracks like Not Just (Knee Deep) and Flashlight.

But in between those years, he released 3 albums on the Westbound label (same label as early Ohio Players and Funkadelic releases.) The album I'm gonna share is his 3rd and last release on that label before hooking up with George Clinton and the boys.

This record here is called Suzie Super Groupie and is one of the greatest things I've ever heard in my life, but don't just take my word for it, check it out. He plays all the instruments on the record. This album didn't chart on the Billboard 100 or R&B side either, no singles were released.

1 Junie III
    2 Suzie Thundertussy
    3 If You Love Him
    4 What Am I Gonna Do?
    5 Super Groupie
    6 Surrender
    7 Suzie
    8 Stone Face Joe
    9 Spirit

The song Super Groupie #5 is freakin EPIC!
    Last edited by L.Kizzle; 02-29-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Default Timmy Gatling: Help

This is easily one of the greatest New Jack Swing albums ever released, yet no one has heard of it.

OF course, you will recognize his voice, he was one of the original members of the prominent New Jack group, GUY. His vocals could be heard on the radio heavily played track "You Can Call Me Crazy" and the closing song " My Business." He was revealed of his duties before the great debut album was released, but his vocals remained.

Already familiar with the sound, he went and got his own deal Tommy Boy. He released the album Help in 1989, but that's what he needed from his record label. One lonely video for the single "Rock Me Good" and an appearance on Soul Train did nothin, the album didn't chart on the pop side and not even on the R&B charts. But don't stop that from listenin to hs album, "The Sweat Drops" features Keith Sweat on vocals (who the label should have pushed was on the record, he was hot then ...) He went on to do production for artist like Ralph Tresvant, Bel Biv DeVoe and Christopher Williams but he was never really heard of again after the early 90s, shame on you Teddy Riley.

No joking, this is up there with the great NJS albums of the day like DOn't Be Cruel, Guy's Debut, Babyface's Tender Lover, Al B. Sure's In Effect Mode, ect.

1 Cheatin'
    2 Help
    3 Rock Me Good
    4 Soul Four Real
    5 All The Way ft. Audrey Wheeler
    6 Concentrate on You
    7 Misdemeanor [dammit, not on youtube. It's a remake of the famous song by the Sylvers]
    8 Watcha Gonna Do
    9 The Sweat Drops
    10 Concentrate on You Reprise

Default Bryan Loren: Self-Titled

This 1984 album is so smooth and free flowing, if it was recorded by a bigger name, would have made a splash in the world of music.

He was signed at a young age as a new up and coming singer to compete with the El DeBarge's of the world. When his solo career failed, he went to the backgrounds. He's been a writer, producer, arranger and instrumentalist for major artist of the 80s' and 90s' including Michael Jackson, Sting and Barry White.

This record had a few low end charting singles on the R&B charts but nothing major. Zhe album itself failed to reach any of the charts in June 1984. That month, albums from Prince, The Jacksons and the Time were out, and he was not a hit like those established acts.

1 Lollipop Luv
    2 Easier Said Than Done
    3 For Tonight
    4 Complications
    5 Do You Really Love Me
    6 Falling In Love
    [COLOR="Blue"]Stay With Me[/COLOR]
    8 Take All Of Me

Default Anna King: Back to Soul

Anna King: Back to Soul

In 1964, James Brown was about to unleash to the world this new type a music, this new type a groove. It was a 'brand new bag' (no pun) called funk music. That song would be called "Out of Sight" a smash hit which ushered in a new way to feel music. But, at that same time he was writing a producing an album (the had been producing many singles for artist as far back as 1959, but I guess he felt real good about Anna because he did a whole album with her) for one of his female artist.

This was not his first female artist or his most famous. The first was a young lady by the name of Bea Ford (ex-wife of Joe Tex, James most hated enemy/rival in the business!), Sugar Pie DeSanto, Yvonne Fair and a 17 year old by the name of Tammy Montgomery. She would latter be known as Tammy Terrell. His most famous females would be Vicki Anderson, Marva Whitney and Lynn Collins in the 70s.

But back to this album, this was one of the great albums for a female in soul music in 1964. You gotta realize, this was before Aretha Franklin was huge (no pun again, lol), Diana Ross hadn't yet had a hit with the Supremes, Patti Labelle was a mid-tier singer leading the Blue Bells. Etta James was around so that was about it. Dionne Warwick was doin' pop ballads.

Backed by James Brown and his Orchestra (and the Famous Flames on a few cuts in the background) this dropped in early 1964 and did not make a splash on the Billboard album charts. A few singles did dent the Hot 100 (the soul charts were suspended at this time.) "Baby, Baby, Baby" was a duet with Famous Flames founder Bobby Byrd and barley missed the top 50. Did the punchy horns, organ and the kick drum. But the second single released might be the most spectacular. This is basically a funk ballad in 1964. "If Somebody Told You" topped of at #67 before basically never being heard again by the new year (1965.) There are a few coves like "Night Time is the Right Time" "Come and Get These Memories" and the best "Tennessee Waltz." "If You Don't Think" is a cover also, from Tammi Terrell who did the previous year.

This is a high priced album for collectors if you can find it, though an import came out a few years ago.

1 Make Up Your Mind
    2 Come On Home
    3 Sittin' In The Dark
    4 That's When I Cry
    5 I Found You
    6 I Don't Want To Cry
    7 If Somebody Told You
    8 Night Time Is The Right Time
    9 Tennessee Waltz
    10 Come and Get These Memories
    11 If You Don't Think
    12 [Duet with Bobby Byrd] Baby, Baby, Baby

Default Re: Anna King: Back to Soul

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Anna King: Back to Soul

In 1964, James Brown was about to unleash to the world this new type a music, this new type a groove. It was a 'brand new bag' (no pun) called funk music. That song would be called "Out of Sight" a smash hit which ushered in a new way to feel music. But, at that same time he was writing a producing an album (the had been producing many singles for artist as far back as 1959, but I guess he felt real good about Anna because he did a whole album with her) for one of his female artist.

This was not his first female artist or his most famous. The first was a young lady by the name of Bea Ford (ex-wife of Joe Tex, James most hated enemy/rival in the business!), Sugar Pie DeSanto, Yvonne Fair and a 17 year old by the name of Tammy Montgomery. She would latter be known as Tammy Terrell. His most famous females would be Vicki Anderson, Marva Whitney and Lynn Collins in the 70s.

But back to this album, this was one of the great albums for a female in soul music in 1964. You gotta realize, this was before Aretha Franklin was huge (no pun again, lol), Diana Ross hadn't yet had a hit with the Supremes, Patti Labelle was a mid-tier singer leading the Blue Bells. Etta James was around so that was about it. Dionne Warwick was doin' pop ballads.

Backed by James Brown and his Orchestra (and the Famous Flames on a few cuts in the background) this dropped in early 1964 and did not make a splash on the Billboard album charts. A few singles did dent the Hot 100 (the soul charts were suspended at this time.) "Baby, Baby, Baby" was a duet with Famous Flames founder Bobby Byrd and barley missed the top 50. Did the punchy horns, organ and the kick drum. But the second single released might be the most spectacular. This is basically a funk ballad in 1964. "If Somebody Told You" topped of at #67 before basically never being heard again by the new year (1965.) There are a few coves like "Night Time is the Right Time" "Come and Get These Memories" and the best "Tennessee Waltz." "If You Don't Think" is a cover also, from Tammi Terrell who did the previous year.

This is a high priced album for collectors if you can find it, though an import came out a few years ago.

1 Make Up Your Mind
    2 Come On Home
    3 Sittin' In The Dark
    4 That's When I Cry
    5 I Found You
    6 I Don't Want To Cry
    7 If Somebody Told You
    8 Night Time Is The Right Time
    9 Tennessee Waltz
    10 Come and Get These Memories
    11 If You Don't Think
    12 [Duet with Bobby Byrd] Baby, Baby, Baby
    This is an incredible album, I bought the import when it came out.

Banned

Yo you should change it to day obscure n*gga album of the day. B*tch you got racial prejudices and shit..

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Yo you should change it to day obscure n*gga album of the day. B*tch you got racial prejudices and shit..
    It's two whiteys on the original OP, what more do you want?

I was gonna make a George Michael thread, but not anymore ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    It's two whiteys on the original OP, what more do you want?

I was gonna make a George Michael thread, but not anymore ...
    You going gay n*gga agenda next? Wut the ***? and why you acting like a N*gga gotta be black? Stupid ain't got no color yo.
    Last edited by ZeN; 08-03-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    You going gay n*gga agenda next? Wut the ***? and hy you acting like a N*gga gotta be black? Stupid won't no color yo.
    Is that you Gundress?