Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Exclamation I found an old newspaper article about Wilt

Photocopy on a guys blog who went through city library archives...

It was about Wilt coming out of College and into the pros... It listed his height, wingspan and weight... Nothing new that we don't already know but it had something else interesting which has been up for debate among many... It said Wilt's vertical jump was said to be 32 inches running... And i believe this because Wilt never really had his head way above the rim, if only just. He wasn't a top level jumper like other NBA athletic specimens. His quality was mobility and movement at that size. Not necessarily explosive power or strength...

I'll try to ask the guy who runs the blog if I can post the article here

Default Re: I found an old newspaper article about Wilt

Dat evolution!

Doubtful. But please do post if you aren't lying I do collect the newspaper archives that cite such information.

32 inches is like the 24 inch claim, it is not congruent with the college articles of Wilt's max reach being 12 feet 6 inches nor the later pro article of it being 12 feet 9 inches. That's a higher vertical than 32 inches. It's 36, and 39 respectively. His standing reach was 9 feet 6 inches. Film reveals some of the highest reaching blocked shots of any player. Also wouldn't fit that he was a competitive high jumper.

Either the college article you are referring to doesn't exist, or is likely not accurate a-la the "24 inch vertical" article from a few years ago.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Doubtful. But please do post if you aren't lying I do collect the newspaper archives that cite such information.

32 inches is like the 24 inch claim, it is not congruent with the college articles of Wilt's max reach being 12 feet 6 inches nor the later pro article of it being 12 feet 9 inches. That's a higher vertical than 32 inches. It's 36, and 39 respectively. His standing reach was 9 feet 6 inches. Film reveals some of the highest reaching blocked shots of any player. Also wouldn't fit that he was a competitive high jumper.

Either the college article you are referring to doesn't exist, or is likely not accurate a-la the "24 inch vertical" article from a few years ago.
    What you miss is that wilt wore 2-3 inch soled shoes, and had extremely long arms. He didn't have to jump that high to reach those figures.

[QUOTE=GIF REACTION]Not necessarily explosive power or strength

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    What you miss is that wilt wore 2-3 inch soled shoes, and had extremely long arms. He didn't have to jump that high to reach those figures.
    I see, so you are making this all up? I figured.

I found an old newspaper article about OP:

Dunking on everybody in the park

It is a freakin blog. Post it and just site the guy. That is how the internet works

Photocopy on a guys blog who went through city library archives...

It was about Wilt coming out of College and into the pros... It listed his height, wingspan and weight... Nothing new that we don't already know but it had something else interesting which has been up for debate among many... It said Wilt's vertical jump was said to be 32 inches running... And i believe this because Wilt never really had his head way above the rim, if only just. He wasn't a top level jumper like other NBA athletic specimens. His quality was mobility and movement at that size. Not necessarily explosive power or strength...

http://articles.philly.com/1991-03-1...in-dunk-soccer

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: "One time (when as a teenager he saw Chamberlain playing in a Harlem summer league) I can remember like a photograph: His head was almost above the rim; there were players draped all around his neck, and it looked for all the world like the end of Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck lashed to his prey, beckoning his crew to join the quest. Wilt Chamberlain as the White Whale."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    32 inches is like the 24 inch claim, it is not congruent with the college articles of Wilt's max reach being 12 feet 6 inches

So basically This but instead of any actual footage or documented measurements, we have hearsay and anecdotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    One time (when as a teenager he saw Chamberlain playing in a Harlem summer league) I can remember like a photograph: His head was almost above the rim; there were players draped all around his neck, and it looked for all the world like the end of Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck lashed to his prey, beckoning his crew to join the quest. Wilt Chamberlain as the White Whale.
    Hell of a quote!

Do or do not. The **** out you must get without pics.

Banned

Now Wilt is the mythical White Whale? Jesus. Actually, bigger than Jesus. Wilt>>>Jesus. Dropped 200 on the messiah while the 12 apostles hung off his left bicep.

http://www.si.com/vault/2013/10/14/1...6/the-freshman

[QUOTE]For the rest of the season, the greatest basketball player alive was essentially put back in his box. Public appearances by freshmen were restricted to scrimmages before home games

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Monte Johnson saw Wilt take just one step and touch the top of a backboard that was 13 feet high. "My first thought," says Johnson, "was if that's those kids' new standard of what it takes to play basketball, they're all going to give up."
    Now kids have Boogie's 27 inch vertical to aspire to.

(I do like Cousins though)