Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Your "shiitty" first job

This probably doesnt apply to everyone, but i feel a lot of teenagers generally choose a shiity part time job as their first experience in the work field. so if you fall into that category, id love to hear about it

my first job was indeed a shit one

my friend and i were both looking for a part time job for some extra cash on the side. still being a senior in highschool, my time was limited, and this one girl i knew told me to apply at her work, "adventure city" a theme park for children. She gave my friend and me the idea that we could work in the always empty video arcade, which in my eyes, seemed great

so we show up to the theme park and ask if theyre hiring. the supervisor asks how old we are; both 18, so he offers us jobs as ride operators, since it was the only job opening available. being a lazy ass and a teenagers, we said yes without even thinking about it because it was a hire right then and there

easily the worst job of my life. i honestly like kids and think theyre great. but after working there, i would never want to work with children outside of a school setting. 8 hours saturday and sunday checking safety belts, dealing with unruly kids and entitled parents for $6.75. (it was 2005)

after about 2 weeks, i was completely over the job and its minimum wage pay. we'd be closed on days it rained, so when i woke up in the morning and even a slight drizzle greeted my outside, id go back to bed and say fck work today. i ended up going on a family vacation 3 weeks after getting the job, and just didnt show up for those two weeks i was gone. the work was so desperate for employees that they didnt even write me up. regardless, i quit as soon as i got back from vacation. and the only reason i went in to tell them im quitting was to get my uniform deposit back.

Default Re: Your "shiitty" first job

Assistant to an real estate agent.

Your pay is a slice of what you do.

I rule the local playground

Mcdonalds. Worked there for 2 years and I didn't even think it was that bad most of the time. Then I got a new job and realized just how shitty a job mcds is. My new job is still shitty but not even close to on the same level.

Saw a basketball once

Worked at Gamestation for my first job, was the opposite of shitty though, it was kosher as **** On quiet days we just used to play video games or read the gaming mags that we had for sale. Met one of my best mates there too, we used to go upstairs into the store room and swing Wii nunchucks around and generally **** about Was hilarious.

I remember on one Easter Sunday it was dead so it was just me and my manager working, we literally had five customers come in the shop and sold nothing all day (noone ever goes out on Easter Sunday, dont know how it is in the US), so we played FIFA and Tekken all day, ate subway sandwiches and generally just chilled out, was awesome.

On Sundays we used to close at four, go across the road to Tesco, get a load of booze, order pizza and get pissed up til the early hours while playing LAN games like Halo 3. We once ended up re-painting the staff room while pissed which was quite fun.

Luckily I got out before they got took over by GAME, apparently its crap now, have to listen to shitty GAME radio instead of our own iPods and you get tracked on sales, cant stay in the store after hours and get pissed, no nunchuck swinging

My first one was as a paperboy, the one without a bike and instead racing with a heavy bag running up & down millions 3-4 story no-elevator appartments with a deadline.... used to KILL me....

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

my first "real" job was working as a dish washer in an italian restaurant was I was 13. Hardest job of my life. working from like 4 to midnight in a sweltering kitchen getting 5.25 an hour under the table. When I told them I couldn't work weeknights during the school year ( i was going into eighth grade) they fired me. Lasted the whole summer though.

After that when I turned 14 and could legally work I got a job at Wendy's and worked there for 3 years. It kinda sucked but it was a hell of a lot easier than working in that kitchen.

I've had a number of other part time jobs through high school and college but those two were the sh*ttiest.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    My first one was as a paperboy, the one without a bike and instead racing with a heavy bag running up & down millions 3-4 story no-elevator appartments with a deadline.... used to KILL me....

i was a paper boy too but in the suburbs it was easy. I rode my bike up and down the streets and threw the papers in the driveway.

First job ever was as a telemarketer when I was 17. Everyone was sitting in a room about the size of a high school classroom with a computer and a phone in front of them.

You'd basically sit there on these cheap ass computers (They were the classic black background with green words kind from the 80s). A phone number and a name would pop up, and you would call that person. When the person answered, you would read the paragraph that was taped to the computer screen, word for word. Then based on the person's response, you would put an X next to the result of the call on your computer screen. Either "sale", "rejected", "hangup" or "no answer".

And you would do this for 5 hours straight. Then at the end of the day you would log how many of each result you had that day. I did that for about 3 week. Might not have even been that long.

Job #2 was a cart boy at Toys R Us, and that's not even a real position. They basically just let me and my cousin do that because we begged them to hire us because we needed jobs. It was during the holidays so they were pretty busy, and our job was basically t stand in the vestibule (that little section between outside and the actual store where the carts are) and everytime the cart supply would get low we would go out into the snow and get the carts. We never even took our coats off because we went outside so often. I ended up staying with Toys R Us for about 4 and a half years but eventually i was the RZone (electronics) guy which was fun. Just had to tough it out with some shitty positions first

paperboy, burger joint in the mall, chuck-e-cheese, checkout at a grocery store, busboy, and retail in the mall when i was a teenager.

a factory line attendant

Kitchen Prep in a Japanese Steakhouse when I was 15. Got the food ready to be cooked on the Hibachi grills by those Asian chefs. Making the sauces, gutting lobsters, swiftly getting the correct proportions of rice/chicken/steak/vegetables ready for at table entertainment.

dishwasher then cold side prep in a bar grill in summer

wasn't that bad

10.50 to start, a pint of beer on fridays even tho i was underaged and a free meal every shift

was busy as hell but can't complain

Worked at some deli and it was the worst job I've had. The lady that owned it was so dirty and gross. Her old ass dad who was like 95 would always come in and bitch and moan. He could barely talk too. I had to clean the store and do shit like that. She wanted me to sweep the cigarette butts in the parking lot, I said hell no. Had to sweep, take out garbage, mop, clean the bathroom. I actually got fired for not showing up one day because my high school gave out free Net-Piston tickets I don't like the Nets or Pistons but just said fcuk it

I don't get picked last at the park anymore AirMike's Avatar

I worked at Hooters as a cook, the job was terrible, but at least I could watch some great ass all day long....

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by AirMike
    I worked at Hooters as a cook, the job was terrible, but at least I could watch some great ass all day long....
    I noticed the Hooters chefs are always happy...