Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #16
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Trade Lamar Odom for Shaun Marion

lamar > marion without nash....trust me
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
People seem to be overthinking everything a little bit.

The only way now I trade lamar for marion is if we have another decent starting caliber 4 to play with turiaf backing him up (webber is not the answer for that trade to happen either).

People make comments such as "I dont want lamar to go to phoenix, he will thrive there."

Honestly, so what if he does? We dont make trades to try and screw other teams with bad chem. We make trades to make our team the best as it can possibly be.

Now we made a trade for Ariza, a slasher who has proven to be a legitimate defender who is still fitting well without a jump shot.

Marion is basically the same as Ariza but with a jumpshot, and he is a star. These players play the same exact style of basketball and Ariza fits so well.

I predicted that if Marion were a laker he would thrive here. Why is that any worse than keeping an underachiever that injures bynum? (I just had to say that)

Marion does not make us much better. IMO, Ariza is a better on ball defender. Marion is suited in a run n gun style of play. He is not as effective running half court sets. Losing lamar and gaining marion will not take us to an elite status. He does well in the suns offense because that is the style he plays. If we traded for him, are we starting him at the 4? I dont care how much the suns use him at the 4, he is not a 4. He gets abused by real 4's.

I've been all for trading LO this whole time, but only if it makes us better. I dont think we are a better team with Marion. I think we become too small. That is what our advantge has been on other teams. We play bigger than other teams.

The suns are our rivals in the pacific and the west. I know any trade we make should be made as long as it improves our team. But some thought must go into how much better our rivals will get with a trade. Not all of our thought, but it should be considered when trading to our own conference. I thnk LO wiht the suns makes them a great team. Shouldnt that be considered a little?
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
andredpg
I airball my layups

andredpg has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerFan4Life07
I really like Lamar but, that would be a great trade for the lakers. shaun would be perfect for the laker's offense. what do u guys think???

no way, LO>SM
especially in play-offs

I think that SM is overrated. You can put a fridge in team with Nash and it would go for 15/7 stats
andredpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Marion does not make us much better. IMO, Ariza is a better on ball defender. Marion is suited in a run n gun style of play. He is not as effective running half court sets. Losing lamar and gaining marion will not take us to an elite status. He does well in the suns offense because that is the style he plays. If we traded for him, are we starting him at the 4? I dont care how much the suns use him at the 4, he is not a 4. He gets abused by real 4's.

I've been all for trading LO this whole time, but only if it makes us better. I dont think we are a better team with Marion. I think we become too small. That is what our advantge has been on other teams. We play bigger than other teams.

The suns are our rivals in the pacific and the west. I know any trade we make should be made as long as it improves our team. But some thought must go into how much better our rivals will get with a trade. Not all of our thought, but it should be considered when trading to our own conference. I thnk LO wiht the suns makes them a great team. Shouldnt that be considered a little?

As I stated, I would only trade for Marion if we had a true 4.

Otherwise if Lamar played the three, then I would automatically make the trade. Marion is more aggressive on both ends of the floor than Odom so I don't see why this wouldn't make us better.

Ariza might be a better on-ball defender but offensively they both have the same style. They both cut and play off the ball which was someone we needed at the three.

People talk as if Marion is mentally challenged and wouldn't understand the triangle. Its honestly not as bad as people think it is. Marion is also a better shooter which would save us a lot of stress. It's not like Odom has done anything here so what are we losing honestly if we trade odom?

However an argument can be made that we don't want marion because he's already having issues with being the third scorer on phoenix which is something I don't want. Our first 2 options on this team are Kobe and Bynum and if any player doesnt like that they dont have to come here.

Once again, Odom will only help the suns with rebounding which they already have with marion.

Odom will not become a 30 point scorer if he goes to phoenix. He will Pssy out and defer to other guys, and hide in the offense so that he doesn't get the ball enough to score.

This is lamar odom, he plays horribly against his old teams. WHy would he demolish us?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

People talk as if Marion is mentally challenged and wouldn't understand the triangle. Its honestly not as bad as people think it is. Marion is also a better shooter which would save us a lot of stress. It's not like Odom has done anything here so what are we losing honestly if we trade odom?

Its not that he wouldnt understand the triangle. Its that he is not a good fit gven his style of play. He can shoot but becomes lost in the offense when hes not getting those high energy plays. Hes best fit at running with the suns. In the triangle, we wouldnt be using him to his strengths, just like larry hughes in cleveland.

Quote:
Once again, Odom will only help the suns with rebounding which they already have with marion.

Odom will not become a 30 point scorer if he goes to phoenix. He will Pssy out and defer to other guys, and hide in the offense so that he doesn't get the ball enough to score.

This is lamar odom, he plays horribly against his old teams. WHy would he demolish us?

Um no, he would help so much more than rebounding. No one said he'd be aveaging 30 ppg. Obvioulsy thats not his style. Do you know the advantage of having a big man who can rebound and push the ball up the court especially in the phoenix system? They would get up the court even quicker because LO has the ability to rebound and handle the ball up the court. Having him and nash would give them an even more uptempo system. Having LO would give them a big man to play alongside amare. They play way too small. LO's post game is limited but he certainly can do more than marion inside. Ball handling wouldnt only be limited to nash, which would take some pressure off him.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #21
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonislegend
lamar > marion without nash....trust me

exactly....does anyone remember marion before nash came along scoring on the wrong basket

you're absolutely right.
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #22
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Its not that he wouldnt understand the triangle. Its that he is not a good fit gven his style of play. He can shoot but becomes lost in the offense when hes not getting those high energy plays. Hes best fit at running with the suns. In the triangle, we wouldnt be using him to his strengths, just like larry hughes in cleveland.

Um no, he would help so much more than rebounding. No one said he'd be aveaging 30 ppg. Obvioulsy thats not his style. Do you know the advantage of having a big man who can rebound and push the ball up the court especially in the phoenix system? They would get up the court even quicker because LO has the ability to rebound and handle the ball up the court. Having him and nash would give them an even more uptempo system. Having LO would give them a big man to play alongside amare. They play way too small. LO's post game is limited but he certainly can do more than marion inside. Ball handling wouldnt only be limited to nash, which would take some pressure off him.

Larry hughes in cleveland isn't a good example of that. He's playing for a crappy coach in a system where he doesn't know how to shoot well. Larry was never known as a shooter. Marion is known for very good outside shooting and slashing. How does he not fit at this point then?

What is it that makes Odom a better triangle player than marion?

Aren't we a running team now anyways? Wouldn't Marion get out on the break as much as we want our other guys to do so anyways? How is he a bad fit? He has all the pre-reqs we could ever want from any small forward.

If Odom wouldnt score big on Phoenix, then honestly what else can he do better than marion on that team?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far

we all agreed in the offseason that matrix is a much better player than LO offensively, defensively, athletically, durability wise and that he even has a better contract so I think if Mitch is holding this up he should b shot, really that's a steal 4 us.... if LO bcomes a 20/10 guy in phoenix, then good 4 him cuz I like him but obviously he'll never b that guy w/ us, or even a 17/10 guy - which is what marion avgs in his sleep.

Last edited by dblockallstars : 01-17-2008 at 02:59 PM.
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #24
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Laker Magic 32 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
we all agreed in the offseason that matrix is a much better player than LO offensively, defensively, athletically, durability wise and that he even has a better contract so I think if Mitch is holding this up he should b shot, really that's a steal 4 us.... if LO bcomes a 20/10 guy in phoenix, then good 4 him cuz I like him but obviously he'll never b that guy w/ us, or even a 17/10 guy - which is what marion avgs in his sleep.

The Funny thing is, we all know that Lamar would have better numbers in phoenix, but can the same be said about Marion? His numbers will fall off here.

Instead of trading for Marion, why not just wait til the off-season and sign Jermaine O'Neal? Trading for Marion will not get us to the Finals this year, if at all. But signing JO in the off-season makes the unanimous favorite the following year. He's a FA in 08...slam dunk, no?
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: