Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #46
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

You people do realize dinosaurs never even existed. The skeletal remains were put here by the devil to trick us into believing they were actual here before we were. I thought this was common knowledge?

... and let us not forget the other planets don't exist either. They're figments of our imaginations brought to what seems to be "life" however again mastery and trickery from good old Satan.

Ya'll can believe what you want, but I'm sticking to my people turned to stone, man lives inside whale's belly, and two alligators ****ing each other's brains out to repopulate the earth.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #47
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Scientists have brought an exitinct animal back for the first time ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer
It really isn't overblown. Time travel to the past creates major problems of philosophical causality. The most common example: the grandfather paradox. Imagine going back in time and killing your grandfather before he met your grandmother. Had this happened, one of your parents never would have been born, and you could have never been born. You've completely negated your existence. How, then, could you have gone back in time to kill your grandfather in the first place? As you can undoubtedly see, it is obviously logically problematic.

I do, however, think there are two potential ways of resolving the paradox. One is to accept a Multiverse of many parallel universes. If this is the case, your actions would only result in you taking the course of another universe, while your original timeline remains unaffected. The second explanation is the Novikov self-consistency principle. According to this principle, you would merely be unable to kill your grandfather if you attempted to do so. The proof of this is the fact that you exist. Some have speculated that this is problematic in regards to free will. This is not a valid complaint, however. After all, since when has anyone considered the logically impossible to be a constraint on free will? I can't, for instance, stand up and not stand up at the same time. That would be an absurd logical impossibility; and nobody in their right mind would say that I lack free will because of that. Proponents of the self-consistency principle would argue that changing the past is a similar logical impossibility.

It's actually time travel to the future that is seen as significantly more plausible than time travel to the past by most physicists. Because of the impact of time dilation, in the orbiting example you cite, one would actually be going slightly forwards in time. Whether or not travel to the past is permissable by the laws of physics is dependent upon whether or not traversable wormholes actually exist (not a given).

Something that's still interesting to note, however: you see into the past on a daily basis. Due to the the time it takes for light to travel to your eyes, you glimpse the past each time you open your eyes. On a small scale this is irrelevant. On a large scale, however, this could become significant. Looking up at the night sky, for example, is to catch sight of the heavens as they were thousands of years ago. The physicist J. Richard Gott once proposed a fascinating thought experiment in regards to this fact. He suggested planting a mirror thousands of light years away from the earth. Looking up from earth's most powerful telescopes humanity would be able to see itself as it was thousands of years ago. So even though humanity may never be able to physically travel to the past, viewing the earth's ancient past may not be entirely impossible.

Forward travel through time is really just a logistical problem at this point. Based upon Einsteinian predictions, and subjected by numerous empirical tests, our leading scientists are convinced that time dilation is a real force. It's only a question of building a ship capable of reaching a velocity near the speed of light in order to move significantly into the future.

I'm pretty sure it's time travel to the past, because they can already do it at a small scale.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #48
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Traveling forward in time consists of going at very fast speeds. It is a known fact that an aircraft that travels really fast has a different clock than the land clock. However that difference is very small so it makes no difference whatsoever. In order to really go forward in time, you'd have to travel at speeds close to, or equal to the speed of light (which is impossible and might always be).
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #49
crounsa810
National High School Star

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster

To go forward into the future I would have less of a problem with. Just going to the past can cause WAY too many problems. Still, it's amazing all that science can do. Too complicated for me. That's why I'm getting a business degree. It's easier to understand for me.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #50
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

OK, so it is forward. I thought the clock was behind when you orbit.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Haven't you guys seen Time Cop? Yes, time travel is possible.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #52
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
I'm pretty sure it's time travel to the past, because they can already do it at a small scale.

if time travel actually were to become possible and progress to a point where people can travel back years and years... wouldn't there be people now who are from the future and wouldn't we have heard about it?

not saying that its not possible, but its something to ponder at least in terms of how far time travel will progress.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #53
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The second explanation is the Novikov self-consistency principle. According to this principle, you would merely be unable to kill your grandfather if you attempted to do so. The proof of this is the fact that you exist. Some have speculated that this is problematic in regards to free will. This is not a valid complaint, however. After all, since when has anyone considered the logically impossible to be a constraint on free will? I can't, for instance, stand up and not stand up at the same time. That would be an absurd logical impossibility; and nobody in their right mind would say that I lack free will because of that. Proponents of the self-consistency principle would argue that changing the past is a similar logical impossibility.
This seems to make sense on one level, but then when you think about it realistically, it turns into utter nonsense. Interesting nonetheless.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: