Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Mixed-race NBA players

Quote Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
    Duncan's mother:

Looks like a light-skinned black person to me, at least not completely white. And like someone else mentioned, Grant Hill's mom is black:

According to this site Duncan is part black and white.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...7#post19224513

Grant Hill – Basketball player, Black father, bi-racial (black and white) mother.

http://www.blackflix.com/articles/multiracial.html
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-29-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Learning to shoot layups Strangefruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Having this conversation the other day about race you come to the conclusion that people seems to think race is the same thing as what color you are. You can be white on the outside but if you have 1 drop of "black blood" in you you're black.

If a "black" persons and a "white" person have a kid what race are they? That pretty much ends the discussion right there.
    Man, that is awesome.
    Why doesn't it work the other way around?

Please help me. Imagine I'm a greek dude with blue eyes, brown straight hair and pale skin. Am I still white if a turkish soldier had a child with a white-as-snow greek girl by 1810 and eventually became my ancestors?

Maybe a blond spanish guy with green eyes cannot be called white because in 1520 a descendant of a Moslim Almohad Warrior converted to Christianism and married a girl of germanic origins.

Sometimes I get the feeling Americans have turned this race thing into a complete paranoia.

In It to Win It

Judiasm is not a race. It is a religion. Jewish people for the most part are white, although there are Jews of every race.

Also, I have to make it clear that Italian, Spanish (from Spain), and Greek people are WHITE.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    If a "black" persons and a "white" person have a kid what race are they? That pretty much ends the discussion right there.
    If the "black" is fully black, the kid would be mixed. But if the "black" parent is mixed, then.... who the hell knows...

Juan Dixon im pretty sure is 1/2 black, 1/2 cuban..

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    Maybe Judaism is conceived as an ethnic group because you never had your own country. Harsh, but might be reality.
    Or because we were never allowed to assimilate. It doesn't matter whether you lived in Germany, England, Russia, or Turkey. If you're Jewish, you couldn't be German, English, Russian, or Turkish.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
    Also, I have to make it clear that Italian, Spanish (from Spain), and Greek people are WHITE.
    "White" might be an even more meaningless term than "black," and the purported caucasoid is even more mutty than blacks (in terms of cross-population if not genetic diversity). It used to be that only alabaster-skinned persons of central and western Europe descent were considered "white" (excepting the Irish, of course, who are their own degenerate race). Then they lumped in the Slavs and Persians, then the "greasers" around the Med, and pretty soon anybody who doesn't have obviously slanted eyes or skin darker than a cup of Earl Grey is "white". Given the amount of mixing among multi-generational immigrant populations, not to mention the wave after wave of invasions of Europe by various conquerors from the East and Middle East, plus the mixing by European conquistadors and pilgrams from Europe into the New World's native populations, it's pretty doubtful that out of a group of random "white" Americans more than a few percent could make any valid claim to having purely Germanic or Nordic geneology.