Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #61
aau
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 418
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus
Kobe was injured in the Pacers series. The difference would not have been 23 had he been healthy. The first three rounds give you a better picture.

no doubt

that was the 2nd time it'd been said

seems their comments were based on the finals only
aau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #62
Derivative
Most Valuable Poster
 
Derivative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
Shaq and Kobe's ppg difference in the 01 & 02 Playoffs was 1.0 and 1.9 in favor of Shaq.
Kobe and Gasol's ppg difference in the 09 & 10 Playoffs was 11.9 and 9.6 in favor of Kobe.
Shaq and Kobe each led the team in scoring in half the playoff series in 01 & 02.
Kobe in 09 & 10 led the team in scoring in every playoff series.

So no.

Clyde Drexler had a higher WS than Hakeem in the 95 Playoffs, while Robert Horry was within .3 of Hakeem

95 Playoffs:
Drexler 3.0 ws, .167 ws/48
Hakeem 2.8 ws, .143 ws/48
Horry 2.5 ws, .142 ws/48



Because all that matters is ppg? That's why Kobe stans are retards, because you can't see more than one stat, either ring or ppg.

Besides ppg there's also rebound, assists, blocks, defense, and especially FIELD GOAL EFFICIENCY, which kobe is inferior.

That's what PER is there for, to make a composite stat to capture all those categories of the game, instead of a simple ppg.

If you only care about PPG, Gilbert arenas is better than Lebron is 06-07 season.
Derivative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #63
aau
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 418
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
Because all that matters is ppg? That's why Kobe stans are retards, because you can't see more than one stat, either ring or ppg.

Besides ppg there's also rebound, assists, blocks, defense, and especially FIELD GOAL EFFICIENCY, which kobe is inferior.

That's what PER is there for, to make a composite stat to capture all those categories of the game, instead of a simple ppg.

If you only care about PPG, Gilbert arenas is better than Lebron is 06-07 season.

shaq had a 4-1 rebound advantage over kobe

what was pau's retard
aau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #64
Ne 1
College superstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,575
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aau
shaq had a 4-1 rebound advantage over kobe

what was pau's retard
Quote:
FIELD GOAL EFFICIENCY, which kobe is inferior.

Comparing centers to a 2-guard in this regard is about as stupid as it gets, given the fact that they play 2 different position which require DIFFERENT skill sets. Shaq and Pau are post players, Kobe is a perimeter player.
Ne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #65
aau
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 418
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne 1
Comparing centers to a 2-guard in this regard is about as stupid as it gets, given the fact that they play 2 different position which require DIFFERENT skill sets. Shaq and Pau are post players, Kobe is a perimeter player.

what's your point

kobe grabbed half the rebounds that pau did and scored far more

kobe scored closer to shaq than pau to kobe save the finals

skillsets/positions have nothing to do with comparing

kobe's productivity ratio to either center
aau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #66
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
Because all that matters is ppg? That's why Kobe stans are retards, because you can't see more than one stat, either ring or ppg.

Besides ppg there's also rebound, assists, blocks, defense, and especially FIELD GOAL EFFICIENCY, which kobe is inferior.

That's what PER is there for, to make a composite stat to capture all those categories of the game, instead of a simple ppg.

If you only care about PPG, Gilbert arenas is better than Lebron is 06-07 season.

I will say that the stats are somewhat deceptive overall for the 2001 playoffs because of the blowouts. 23.2 ppg out of Shaq's 30.4 ppg came when the margin was 10 points or less, while 20.9 ppg out of Kobe's 29.4 ppg came when the margin was 10 points or less.

So it was a little more clear than the final stats suggest that Shaq was their number 1 scoring option, also by watching the games and seeing that the Lakers plan was to go inside to Shaq in the first and see how he's played. That was what made the 1-2 punch more lethal than any we've seen during those playoffs. If Shaq was getting a good amount of single coverage, you could pretty much pencil him in for a highly efficient 35-40 point, 15-20 rebound game, if not, then Kobe would take over and score 35-40 himself while playing an all around game.

Sort of similar to what happened in the Kings series, Shaq has back to back 40/20 games to open the series, and they focus a lot on him, then Kobe goes and delivers the knockout punch in games 3 and 4. Then in the WCF, Kobe destroys the Spurs, the first series which would establish him as a Spurs killer and Shaq continued to dominate the finals.

But what makes Kobe's scoring numbers deceptive is that Kobe wasn't nearly as much of a score first player as you'd think considering he averaged almost 30. He was doing an excellent job of running the offense and setting up his teammates, and when he did score, he picked his spots very well and scored within the flow of the offense. He was playing very intelligently, and I've never seen him attack the basket more aggressively. And this was back when Kobe was an elite defender, but he also averaged over 7 rpg, and this was while his center was averaging over 15 boards.

He never gets credit for it, but it's pretty amazing that he could score that much while running the offense and being the second scoring option. The second option thing is typically used to discredit him, but it's more of a credit to his ability that he was able to produce at a higher level than all, but one first option at the time.

It's still hard to believe that the Lakers had a duo giving them 60 ppg, while each played both ends, rebounded and played unselfishly creating for their teammates which allowed guys like Fisher and Fox to play the best ball of their career.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #67
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA champion
 
Deuce Bigalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,658
Default Re: Most underrated player on ISH is none other than ------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
Because all that matters is ppg? That's why Kobe stans are retards, because you can't see more than one stat, either ring or ppg.

Besides ppg there's also rebound, assists, blocks, defense, and especially FIELD GOAL EFFICIENCY, which kobe is inferior.

That's what PER is there for, to make a composite stat to capture all those categories of the game, instead of a simple ppg.

If you only care about PPG, Gilbert arenas is better than Lebron is 06-07 season.
Kobe also led the Lakers in assists in every single series and led the lakers in steals in the 2009.

He didn't just lead in points, he led in ppg by double figures.
As far as assists, he basically had 2x more assists than the next highest teammate

09 Playoffs
Kobe 5.5 apg
Next highest 2.5 apg (Pau)

Who else in the playoffs led their team to a championship while being the team's leading scorer by at least double digits and was the leading assist man by doubling the apg of the next highest teammate? I would like to know that.

10 Playoffs
Kobe 5.5 apg
Next highest 3.5 apg (Pau)

Didn't double it that time..
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy