17. Cantu - €8.5 million euros

18. Brose - €8 million euros

19. Spirou - €8 million euros

20. Zagreb - €5.5 million euros

21. Olimpija - €5 million euros

22. SLUC - €4.5 million euros

23. Prokom - €4.5 million euros

24. Partizan - €4.5 million euros

Here are some budgets of teams that didn't play in the Euroleague in the 2011-12 season, but that played in the second-tier Eurocup:

Khimky - €18.5 million euros

Lokomotiv Kuban - €18 million euros

Sevilla - €12 million euros

Treviso - €10 million euros

Valencia - €10 million euros

Spartak St. Petersburg - €9 million euros

ALBA - €7.5 million euros

Hapoel Jerusalem - €7.5 million euros

Bayern - €7 million euros

Third-tier EuroChallenge:

Besiktas - €7 million euros
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-26-2013 at 07:06 PM.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Default Re: Euroleague 2011-12 Club Budgets

I have a question for you . What team do you think will get A licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    I have a question for you . What team do you think will get A licence ?
    Euroleague cancelled the A licenses. They won't exist anymore after this season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Euroleague cancelled the A licenses. They won't exist anymore after this season ends.
    Really? Haven't read anything mentioning that

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    Really? Haven't read anything mentioning that
    I didnt find it too . Euroleague can you tell me where can I read about it ?

Remember when they announced they were making a longer Top 16 and game days on Fridays originally? I am talking about when they first mentioned it.

They also announced that the A licenses were ending after this season and that instead 16 franchises were being created. 16 clubs would be given a franchise and become a "permanent" part of a "closed league system".

With the last 8 places still being decided through domestic results and qualifying rounds.

The qualifications for the 16 franchise places are very high. Clubs have to have big arenas, good attendance, good TV ratings, good merchandise sales, high budgets, and good game results to qualify.

So, the A license system is being replaced and instead 16 clubs are being franchised. So they will become "permanent" clubs. Of course they said they would still have contract requirements so that if they did not meet these they could be removed.

However, initially, they are supposedly going for 13 franchises, and then they will decide on the last 3 in the next few years. But from what I understand, they will start with 13.

From what I understand, teams have to have a minimum modern 10,000 seat basketball specific arena, a set minimum of euros per season budget amount, minimum requirements for average arena attendance, and good TV ratings to even be considered (like consistent top 16 play for example).

So basically,

1. Barca (they have to move into their new arena)
    2. Baskonia
    3. CSKA (they have to move into their hockey arena, or update their basketball one)
    4. Efes
    5. Fenerbahce
    6. Maccabi
    7. Milan
    8. Olympiacos (they either have to update SEF, or move into Helliniko)
    9. Panathinaikos
    10. Real Madrid
    11. Malaga
    12. Zalgiris

Those 12 clubs will be given the franchises starting next year. That leaves one opening for the 13th franchise. The most obvious candidate is of course Siena, but they have to meet the 10,000 arena rule or they won't get it.

They were building a new 11,000 seat arena, but then they started to delay the project. So their chances of getting the 13th franchise are a bit up in the air at the moment.

Most likely, they will finish the arena, once they had the monetary guarantee of getting one of the franchises.

So probably, assuming Siena finished their arena:

1. Barca (they have to move into their new arena)
    2. Baskonia
    3. CSKA (they have to move into their hockey arena, or update their basketball one)
    4. Efes
    5. Fenerbahce
    6. Maccabi
    7. Milan
    8. Olympiacos (they either have to update SEF, or move into Helliniko)
    9. Panathinaikos
    10. Real Madrid
    11. Siena (assuming they finish the new arena)
    12. Malaga
    13. Zalgiris

So that would then leave 3 remaining franchise places open, that would, from what I understand, be filled over the next 2-3 years.

I would guess that the current possibilities for the last 3 franchises to be given out later on, would be something like:

ASVEL
    Bilbao
    Cantu
    Khimki
    Bayern
    Besiktas
    ALBA
    Brose
    Cedevita
    Rytas
    Valencia
    Galatasaray
    Hapoel Jerusalem
    Spartak Saint Petersburg
    UNICS
    Roma
    Spirou

I guess other clubs like Treviso, Bologna, PAOK, Aris, Partizan, Cibona, Olimpija would also be candidates if they had ownership that would spend more money.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-04-2012 at 06:48 AM.

So Partizan cant be one of those clubs because they dont have enough money ? They never had money and they are one of the best clubs ( orund top 10 ) in Europe . I read that Partizan and UNICS are fighting for A licence for next season , could it be that they are fighting to be in those 16 clubs ?

So Partizan cant be one of those clubs because they dont have enough money ? They never had money and they are one of the best clubs ( orund top 10 ) in Europe . I read that Partizan and UNICS are fighting for A licence for next season , could it be that they are fighting to be in those 16 clubs ?
    Like I said, there is not supposed to be an A license after this season. There will be 13 franchises, and then it will go to 16 within 2-3 years. It's obvious that 12 are already in. So that leaves an opening for #13.

Siena would have it, but you have to have at least a 10,000 basketball specific, modern arena to get it. Siena, unfortunately for them, does not have it. So the issue will be if they get a waiver or not. The waiver would only be for if they promise to finish the new arena they were working on.

If not, then that #13 spot is open. I could see UNICS and Partizan in contention for it. The issue is the arena for UNICS and the budget amount for Partizan.

From what I understand, they really want it to be clubs that have at least a €10 million euros per season budget. So that would mean UNICS would get it over Partizan.

But then again, UNICS does not have the arena. However, UNICS has a pretty nice arena and it's fairly modern. And looking at it, they could probably add about 1,500 to 2,000 seats just around the court side, and it's supposedly about 7,700 seats already.

So, I would guess that UNICS could probably do some things to get the arena up to 10,000, if they needed to, without having to spend that much money.

Hard to say, but I would think that it's a lot easier for UNICS to expand their arena, than it is for Partizan to go to a €10 million euros budget.

However, I would also think that Khimki would be in contention for this. They will probably win the Eurocup this season, and I think they have even more money than UNICS does.

They only have a 6,000 arena, but it's obviously expandable to 10,000, as it does not even have stands behind the goals. And they certainly have the money to expand it.

If I had to guess, it's between Siena, UNICS, Khimky, and I would think that the favorite by far would be Siena. I think they would decide to finish their new arena if they got the promise for the new franchise and I think the Euroleague would grant them the waiver to finish it. After all, it is pretty much the marquee Italian club at this point.

Maybe, UNICS, Khimky, and Partizan can end up getting the last 3 places later on. But I would think that they will have to give Partizan a pass on the budget. I don't see any way they get a €10 million euros per season budget.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-05-2012 at 03:35 AM.

So maybe it ends up something like:

1. Barca
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Baskonia
    4. Malaga
    5. CSKA
    6. Khimky
    7. UNICS
    8. Zalgiris
    9. Siena
    10. Milano
    11. Panathinaikos
    12. Olympiacos
    13. Maccabi
    14. Partizan
    15. Fenerbahce
    16. Efes

That would be:

4 ACB League clubs
    4 VTB League clubs

and then 2 each for the Italian League, Greek League, Adriatic League, and Turkish League.

That would seem to be fair, and make sense, but the problem is that Euroleague ALWAYS has to throw in something to the French League. I would not be surprised to see ASVEL get it over one of those clubs like Khimky, Partizan, or UNICS.

Euroleague always overrated the French League and always underrated the Russian League, for example.

I just looked on the internet and it says that there will be A lincence but that every year the worst team that has it will loose it and some other team will get it and that Partizan and UNICS are only teams that can get it next season .

I just looked on the internet and it says that there will be A lincence but that every year the worst team that has it will loose it and some other team will get it and that Partizan and UNICS are only teams that can get it next season .
    The Euroleague already voted to eliminate the A license.

I shouldn't be worried about Zalgiris, our team meets all the requirements, maybe only the budget isn't the highest.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    The Euroleague already voted to eliminate the A license.
    www.in-the-game.org/?page_id=7928 it says that there will still be A lincence .
    Last edited by Fiba basketball; 02-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.

www.in-the-game.org/?page_id=7928 it says that there will still be A lincence .
    Once again, there will be 13 teams next season with a contract, but it won't be the same original "A license" system. It will be something different, whether some websites still call it "A license" or not, it will be a different system than the current one.

It will be a franchise based system.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-07-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    I shouldn't be worried about Zalgiris, our team meets all the requirements, maybe only the budget isn't the highest.
    Zalgiris' current budget is high enough for the franchise contract requirements, which as far as I know, is set at €11 million euros per season. The only issue is that you have to maintain that budget for 5 seasons, in order to keep the contract.

So a long as Romanov is the owner, then Zalgiris should probably be OK with that.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 06-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.