Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Dallas is home to the largest collection of samurai armor in the world

outside of Japan anyway...

It is currently being shown at the Kimbell Art Museum

More on the owners of the collection

went and saw the collection over the weekend, it is easily the coolest historic/art museum showing I have ever seen, the samurai took their armor very seriously, it is really amazing art to look at. Every suit of armor is different and unique in it's own way, and handed down from generation to generation.

A couple quick tid-bits that I don't think many understand about the samurai...

-they rarely used swords!...they were primarily trained to use bow and arrow, and rifle...or while on horse they used spears...the sword was really a last line of defense for the most part.

-in general, these guys were SMALL. seriously looking at the mannequins with the outfits displayed it doesn't seem like the average samurai warrior was even 5 feet tall. Regardless I am sure they were extremely tough little bastards...war and combat was a way of life for the most part.

I'm jealous of the owners of this collection, it is a married couple who live here in Dallas, the man is from Switzerland, and I am sure he is just loaded...apparently he acquired his first suit of armor when he saw it at the Louvre in Paris...he just made them an offer and took it home :/

I wasn't able to take pics, but here is just random pics of the collection form the web:

^^^ the owners of the collection...

anyway...had to share...if you live in the DFW area or are just in town you should go check it out, I didn't even know it was here until the Kimbell decided to show it.

Default Re: Dallas is home to the largest collection of samurai armor in the world

yo bro, the KAM is in Fort Worth

do you even Dallas brah?

Default Re: Dallas is home to the largest collection of samurai armor in the world

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    yo bro, the KAM is in Fort Worth

do you even Dallas brah?
    the collection itself is in DALLAS

it is just being shown at the Kimbell currently

http://www.samuraicollection.org/aboutus_history.html

^^^ for you Kent, this was posted in the OP though

I'm actually kind of surprised they are exhibiting it there instead of the Dallas Museum of Art since it already has so much stuff the collection could tie in with.

It would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the lame ass section they have for some Texas artist that made "earth" sculptures (most of which he never actually made).

BTW, thanks for posting this.

I love this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I'm jealous of the owners of this collection, it is a married couple who live here in Dallas, the man is from Switzerland,

Why the hell would a rich guy from Switzerland choose to live in Texas?! You can't buy taste I suppose.

I'm actually kind of surprised they are exhibiting it there instead of the Dallas Museum of Art since it already has so much stuff the collection could tie in with.

It would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the lame ass section they have for some Texas artist that made "earth" sculptures (most of which he never actually made).

BTW, thanks for posting this.

I love this kind of stuff.
    not sure why they choose the Kimbell...it's there all the way through August though, you should go check it out if you don't have anything better to do...

I'm a nut for this kind of stuff though...so I probably get more enjoyment out of it than most

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

Why the hell would a rich guy from Switzerland choose to live in Texas?! You can't buy taste I suppose.
    no income tax? he likes bleach blondes with fake boobs? living in DFW makes it an easy quick trip to either US coast?

what's wrong with Dallas LJJ?...why wouldn't he want to live here?...because we are all Cowboys, walking around in boots, spitting tobacco every 10 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    what's wrong with Dallas LJJ?...why wouldn't he want to live here?...because we are all Cowboys, walking around in boots, spitting tobacco every 10 seconds?
    I usually ride my horse. Walking is too slow out here in the desert.

I usually ride my horse. Walking is too slow out here in the desert.
    right, plus you could trip over a cactus...or get stung by a scorpion

Maybe he's a gun toting war mongering racist?

shhhhhhh

http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...the-aristocrat

great find thanks...I wanted to know more about the guy, I just assumed he moved here because his wife is native to Dallas

must be nice to be in that top .000001%

I want a samurai collection...:/

very interesting read

thanks for posting