Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Basketball Fan
Local High School Star

Basketball Fan has decent reputationBasketball Fan has decent reputation
Default Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

Quote:

Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker rebounds from life of booze and excess with help from Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem
Now, Baker is a student at Union Theological Seminary in Manhattan, studying to get his Master’s degree in divinity with the hopes of becoming a pastor, just like his father, who also struggled with alcohol and stopped drinking after a religious awakening

Drinking problems ruined the career of former Knick Vin Baker, who is now a youth minister at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, mentoring youths.

Vin Baker is resting an elbow on a wooden pulpit, his 6-11 body wrapped in a snappy, plaid suit that seems to stretch on forever. He takes a deep breath and exhales, his long face looking down for a moment. The audience waits patiently, kids sitting up straight. Then, Baker, a four-time NBA All-Star, tells his story, difficult as it might be. Delivering a sermon is harder than shooting free throws, he says.

“At one point I thought having a full armor of God was having a sneaker in my name and having millions of dollars,” he says with a smile, looking out to a small crowd seated in folding chairs. “In my career, I amassed $105 million. Sounds like a pretty big armor, right?”

Most of the adults in the crowd quickly reply with an “Uh huh.”

Baker smiles and goes on.

“When you’re protected by the armor of God, it doesn’t matter how much money you had or how many gold medals you won in the Olympics. No, the armor means praying and having the armor protect you from the enemy.”

He speaks without notes, his voice getting stronger.

“When you get some $100 million, it’s easy to forget about God,” said Baker, who spent some time with the Knicks. “I’m guilty. I forgot about church on Sunday. But he brought me back under his protection.”

As an NBA player for 13 seasons, Baker was an anomaly: a 6-11 forward who could shoot from the outside and dribble like a guard.

As a preacher, Baker is similarly gifted, speaking in a soothing, deep tone, cracking jokes, taking his time. Baker was a man in control as he delivered a sermon to the Abyssinian Baptist Junior Church on a Sunday in early January. So, it was a surprise that Baker, 41, chose to talk about his own failings, of blowing millions of dollars in his career, and struggling to come to terms with his relationship with God. And though he didn’t mention it, his failures all stemmed from an addiction to alcohol and with issues of depression — a one-two combination that destroyed his career and nearly killed him, he admits.

Still, he was standing there before the church group that day, clean and sober, looking trim, full of promise.

In the nearly two years since Baker has sworn off alcohol, he has worked hard to get his life together, abstaining from the hard liquor he favored after games.

Baker doesn’t attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings or follow a 12-step program. But he does subscribe to a higher power. Since May, out of the public eye, in a basement of the Abyssinian Church in Harlem, Baker has served as a youth minister, running Sunday morning prayer services and counseling young adults in the evenings. He does this for no money, with little glamour or fanfare. He is no longer Vin Baker the Olympian, who once won 61 games alongside Gary Payton with the Seattle SuperSonics. He is far removed from that life.

Now, he is a student at Union Theological Seminary in Manhattan, studying to get his Master’s degree in divinity with the hopes of becoming a pastor, just like his father, who also struggled with alcohol and stopped drinking after a religious awakening at age 20. Baker lives in a sparse but pleasant two-bedroom dorm at Union, a change from the 9,613-square foot mansion in Connecticut he once called home.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2KSjyPB6I
Basketball Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Big#50
Great college starter

Big#50 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

Good for him. Alcoholism is a demon that many can't shake off.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

Good for him I guess... Dude should've stopped by a church 15 years ago.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
The_Yearning
The Truthteller

The_Yearning has decent reputation

His glory moment was being a first-hand witness to the VC over Weiss.
The_Yearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Remember the C's traded Kenny Anderson for him. Anderson was actually a major contributor to the ECF run in 02 and Vinny didn't really work out in Boston due to his alcoholism. It is great to hear that he has turned around his life.

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Well I think he quit drinking like at least 80 times throughout his playing career, so I wouldn't hold my breath or anything.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
stax
Mooooooooooose

stax has a terrific reputationstax has a terrific reputationstax has a terrific reputationstax has a terrific reputationstax has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yearning
His glory moment was being a first-hand witness to the VC over Weiss.

LOL I'm sure he'd consider getting a gold medal his other glory moment. Also you're the person who said Dell Curry is known for three things, one of which is playing with VC in Toronto. I guess we're all lucky to be sharing a planet with Vince...
stax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Le Poopoo

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

Good for him. I wish him the best.

Oh wait...

9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Basketball Fan
Local High School Star

Basketball Fan has decent reputationBasketball Fan has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Well I think he quit drinking like at least 80 times throughout his playing career, so I wouldn't hold my breath or anything.

Its a lifelong struggle... he's apparently been sober for 2 years now.. one day at a time and hopefully it will stick
Basketball Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
TaLvsCuaL
Bandwagoner 100%

TaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation hereTaLvsCuaL has an incredible reputation here

From one prison to another prison.
TaLvsCuaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
No_Look604
Local High School Star

No_Look604 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLvsCuaL
From one prison to another prison.

Your blade is very sharp my friend.
No_Look604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
28renyoy
Banned

28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Nice to see another nba player go broke
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: