Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #16
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I want to have a serious discussion here...

I understand that "keeping in line" stuff, rather than working towards something. I felt like that all through my last 2 years of school. I didn't feel like I was working towards anything significant, even though I needed to do well to get into Uni. I couldn't concentrate, I didn't want to be there and as a result, my grades dropped, pretty bad. I didn't get accepted onto the course I wanted to do, but I was lucky to be offered an alternative offer, which most people don't get - so I jumped at it. The only thing is though, is that I have to do an extra year in Uni (some sort of foundation course), before I can go onto to the course I want to do.

I start Uni on the 21st of Sept, I enroll this Sunday and I move into my new flat on Saturday (2 days). Looking forward to it. I've already seen the flat, I went round last weekend and it seems OK, nothing great, but it'll do. Right in the middle of Liverpool, which is great, because everything is within walking distance.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20

OKAY, serious part:
after reading most of the psych book (i got alot of time on my hands) ive come to believe that maybe the things ive done in my life are actually not working towards something more but mostly just working to keep myself in line... have any of you ever had such feelings of "keeping in line" despite being free willed or maybe even "rebelious" peeps?

not sure i understand what you're going through, you have to pick your battles, you're gonna have to concede to conform/keep in line on a lot of things just to maintain sanity but you are definitely at a time in your life where you can reevaluate/redefine your path and priorities. There is definitely no one "right way" to go on from here

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 09-10-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #18
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall

I start Uni on the 21st of Sept, I enroll this Sunday and I move into my new flat on Saturday (2 days). Looking forward to it. I've already seen the flat, I went round last weekend and it seems OK, nothing great, but it'll do. Right in the middle of Liverpool, which is great, because everything is within walking distance.

my buddy just finished his masters at new castle, that's in englandland too.

kebab, no sh*t? had no idea. is this your first place away from home? do you have roomates?
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 AM   #19
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
OKAY, serious part:
after reading most of the psych book (i got alot of time on my hands) ive come to believe that maybe the things ive done in my life are actually not working towards something more but mostly just working to keep myself in line... have any of you ever had such feelings of "keeping in line" despite being free willed or maybe even "rebelious" peeps?

that is life my friend.

if you are in college and don't know what to do who cares, just keep your GPA above 3.0 so if you want to go back to school someday (MBA, LAw etc...) your entrance wont be 100% weighted on your GMAT or LSAT.

my point is you have sh*t to worry about at this point in your life so do whatever you desire.

seriously.

I am a bit older, and all my friends who toed the line and got ahead early are miserable c*nts. They might have made more money than their friends in their mid twenties but they also did stupid sh*t like not have fun and got married and sh*t out a few kids.
You need the fun element in your life, because it is better to do it now than when you are 45 (like those silver fox douche bags who cruise for young girls in their convertibles).

you gotta keep livin man, L-I-V-I-N.

don't be an L-7 square broheim.

get drunk, go f*ck a fat chick (unless your school is really small).

Jizzo's guide to University.

-Have as much fun as humanly possible and keep 'decent' grades.
-Five years out of Uni and no one gives a f*ck about your grades anymore, its 'what have you done?'

Successful people are NEVER the anti-social straight A dork, he is a middle-management mired salary man.

You want to make BIG cash, you gotta booze, be fun and be an all-around cool MFer. Those are the people they want, and that is the ONLY way you can get into the inner circle.

"No funny no money"

The only place to learn that is college, on the party scene.

START LEARNIN NICKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JtotheIzzo : 09-10-2009 at 04:35 AM.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #20
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

OKAY, serious part:
I'm not a regular poster on here or anything, so you probably don't know me, but I've gone through exactly what you are going through right now.

I used to be the guy that always held my "true self" in check, to be the person that I thought others wanted me to be (aka: keeping myself in line). Only difference is.. I overcompensated with a very dangerous outlet, and it got me into a load of trouble (10 years probation, lucky I didn't go to prison).

Only advice I can really give is... be yourself. You don't need to conform/keep in line for other people. Do justice to yourself, and your life, and in doing so, you will make your family and friends more proud of you than you could by "keeping in line".

I hope that helps a little bit... I hope I got the situation right :-P But seriously dude, just hang in there, but if you feel like you're stuck in a rut, or keeping in line, or whatever... just be yourself, do what you want to do. If you feel a need to go backpacking around Europe instead of do the college thing, which is expected nowadays, then go backpacking! Ya know? It is your life... and while this may sound selfish... you really do need to do justice to yourself, and your own needs.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs explains it all... you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.
In an airplane, the stewardess tells you to put on YOUR oxygen mask before putting on your child's.

Take care of your own needs, then take care of others, everything will eventually fall in to place. Just don't stay "in line", and tolerate it only because you have a seriously destructive "out of line" habit. Seriously.. take care of yourself.

I'm rambling.
/ramble.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #21
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
that is life my friend.

if you are in college and don't know what to do who cares, just keep your GPA above 3.0 so if you want to go back to school someday (MBA, LAw etc...) your entrance wont be 100% weighted on your GMAT or LSAT.

my point is you have sh*t to worry about at this point in your life so do whatever you desire.

seriously.

I am a bit older, and all my friends who toed the line and got ahead early are miserable c*nts. They might have made more money than their friends in their mid twenties but they also did stupid sh*t like not have fun and got married and sh*t out a few kids.
You need the fun element in your life, because it is better to do it now than when you are 45 (like those silver fox douche bags who cruise for young girls in their convertibles).

you gotta keep livin man, L-I-V-I-N.

don't be an L-7 square broheim.

get drunk, go f*ck a fat chick (unless your school is really small).

Jizzo's guide to University.

-Have as much fun as humanly possible and keep 'decent' grades.
-Five years out of Uni and no one gives a f*ck about your grades anymore, its 'what have you done?'

Successful people are NEVER the anti-social straight A dork, he is a middle-management mired salary man.

You want to make BIG cash, you gotta booze, be fun and be an all-around cool MFer. Those are the people they want, and that is the ONLY you can get into the inner circle.

"No funny no money"

The only place to learn that is college, on the party scene.

START LEARNIN NICKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also.. this post is more true than a lot of people would give him credit for.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #22
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
my buddy just finished his masters at new castle, that's in englandland too.

kebab, no sh*t? had no idea. is this your first place away from home? do you have roomates?
Yeah, first time away from home. Excited, but also a bit nervous. Can't wait for that extra sense of freedom though.

The flat is shared by 6 people, each has their own room, and there are 2 full bathrooms, so 3 people share 1 bathroom, which isn't too bad. The main room and kitchen aren't that big, but they'll do. Each bedroom has it's own sink, so you can wash, shave and brush your teeth etc.

Infact, I actually need to start packing my sh!t up, because I move in 2 days and I haven't sorted my stuff out yet.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #23
snipes12
Dirk Madness

snipes12 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom

(i'm all ears)
this freaks me out men
snipes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #24
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
Also.. this post is more true than a lot of people would give him credit for.

No lie. Izzo is always giving valuable advice. Great post Izzo.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: