Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default John Wall To Baylor

It looks like Wall will make it official and sign with the Baylor Bears next week.

I know you are probably wondering why would he go to Baylor,and thats because he's following his travel team coach similar to how Beasley followed his from Charlotte to Kansas State.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: John Wall To Baylor

Gets to replace Curtis Jerrels
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Gets to replace Curtis Jerrels
Yup.

He's a Baron Davis type of PG,he's just as athletic as a young Baron.

I could see Wall going to Baylor for 1 year and putting up 16/4/5 but they should be pretty good in the 09-10 season.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Roy Munson
The Rubberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator

I know you are probably wondering why would he go to Baylor,and thats because he's following his travel team coach similar to how Beasley followed his from Charlotte to Kansas State.

Yep. And since Baylor is a private school, they won't have to disclose how much they paid this guy to deliver Wall to their school.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Yep. And since Baylor is a private school, they won't have to disclose how much they paid this guy to deliver Wall to their school.
That's genius.

Why wouldn't Baylor do this years ago to pay top athletes
Old 08-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
That's genius.

Because that would be illegal and has nothing to do with how much they pay a coach.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Interminator
Banned

This message is hidden because statman32 is on your ignore list.

Owned.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Roy Munson
The Rubberman

Quote:
That's genius.

No, you missed the point completely. Baylor hired a guy whose only experience is coaching AAU, and it's pretty common knowledge that they hired him to get Wall for one year. It already looks fishy, but since they don't have to disclose his salary it doesn't look as fishy as if a public school hired him and everyone saw he was making a ridiculous salary, or even being the highest paid assisstant on the team.

That being said, it wasn't so much a genius move by Baylor, since any of the schools recruiting Wall would have probably hired the coach, as much as it was a smart move by Wall's AAU coach. This way, he still gets the job, but doesn't have to get as much backlash from fans, media, etc. because no one knows how much he will make.

And another thing, I have heard from people around the Valpo area that Scott Drew is as shady as they come, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Baylor back in hot water with NCAA soon.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Efunk7
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Yup.

He's a Baron Davis type of PG,he's just as athletic as a young Baron.

I could see Wall going to Baylor for 1 year and putting up 16/4/5 but they should be pretty good in the 09-10 season.

John Wall = young Jamal Crawford...
Efunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
And another thing, I have heard from people around the Valpo area that Scott Drew is as shady as they come, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Baylor back in hot water with NCAA soon.
Yep.

I've heard the same thing from people who know such things in Texas.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #11
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Perhaps not.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26173742/

Quote:
Wall, Rivals.com's No. 1 ranked prospect in the class of 2009, acknowledged that Baylor's hiring of his travel team coach Dwon Clifton, "Gives Baylor an edge because Coach Clifton has helped me a lot," Wall said. However, it is by no means a done deal for the Bears. Wall plans to take a few official visits before making a decision on where he will attend college.

"I don't have a timetable for making a decision," Wall said. "I'm going to take my official visits. If I find the right fit on a visit, then I'll commit." As to what schools he would like to visit, Wall listed Memphis, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas and Kentucky.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Wall is better off going to Memphis.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Speaking of Memphis, Derrick Rose said pretty similar things about still considering Indiana and Illinois (after making the mistake of releasing an all-adidas list of finalists in Indiana, Memphis, Kansas, Notre Dame and UCLA originally, almost exactly two years ago) before committing to Memphis, when everyone knew that deal was done months and months before.

It makes perfect sense for Baylor to have Wall wait a bit to publicly commit. Even though what they've done is technically legal.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #14
ybbodeus
Saw a basketball once

Pretty comical stuff on this thread all the way around, presumptive knowledge posing as gospel. Fact is, one man's "shady" is another man's "ingenuitive."

I wonder if Scott Drew's dad, Homer, knows that people around the Valpo program think his son is as shady as they come? In reality, it's wHorns and sAggies who are spreading most of the nonsense about "Drew of Arc", because their folks can't figure out for the life of them how his enthusiastic approach to recruiting talent could POSSIBLY be competing with theirs; "It's BAYLOR, for crying out loud! Who would want to play THERE?! They MUST be cheating."

When you can't figure out your competition, just resort to accusatory rhetoric....to quote Blutarski, "...(it) don't cost nuthin'", and it makes ya' feel a whole lot more secure!
ybbodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

The two people in this thread that said they've heard shady things about Scott Drew are Illinois fans, guy.

I don't have any reason to dislike Scott Drew. He coaches a program that is in no way in competition with my favorite program; we play in different conferences and don't generally compete for the same recruits. Scott Drew has done nothing to negatively affect the Illinois program or make me have something against him personally. I have no strong opinion on him other than that, if I was assured he wouldn't run afoul of the NCAA, I'd love him to be on the short list of Illinois basketball if Bruce Weber doesn't turn things around in the next couple of years. But that's a big "if," it would seem.

I'd say that assuming accusations are only coming from jealous Texas or Texas A&M fans is a helluva lot more presumptive than anything you're talking about. I don't know that Scott Drew is a cheater. I know that I've heard as much from people in Texas- not Texas or Texas A&M fans, by the way- who would absolutely know such things. And no, I'm not going into the details.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: