Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Post-draft speculations: Free Agents and the Trading Block

Ok, so more than likely the general consensus about our draft is less than great. But not to worry, we still have a good 2 months of free agency period to address.

The Cats have 5 free agents: Hollins, Okafor, Anderson, Boykins and Harrington. Obviously, we're going to re-sign Okafor. For how much? I don't know. If he's going to be a greedy ******* about it like he was last year, I say hell with it and do a sign and trade for another big man. I also think we should re-sign Boykins for the vet minimum if he's willing to take it. I don't see Weaver even making the team, and Boykins would be a good third option at point when Felton and Augustin need a break. I have a feeling Derek Anderson and Othella Harrington will retire. Ryan Hollins didn't prove to be much, and with Charlotte picking up Davidson's option, I can't see any reason to keep Hollins around.

As for other big name free agents that we might like, here they are by team:

Atlanta: Josh Childress and Josh Smith - Obviously, these are two wing players, but with all the speculation about Wallace's future, should we get rid of him, here are two options.

Boston: James Posey - More than likely will re-sign with Boston. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big contract, much more than we could offer.

Chicago: Luol Deng and Ben Gordon - The future of these two players has been in question for a while. However, now that we have Richardson, Gordon wouldn't do us much good. Deng would be good if Wallace left.

Cleveland: Daniel Gibson - Now that we are stacked at point, there's no real reason to go after him, but a nice catch for someone.

Dallas: Devean George, Juwon Howard and Jamaal Magloire - Howard and Magloire would be excellent beside Okafor. However, they've been overpaid their entire career and would probably want more than we'd have to offer.

Detroit: Walter Herrmann - Maybe I'm biased, but I really liked how he played given the chance, he just got screwed over in Vincent's system. He'd be a cheap pickup and would play good minutes at the 4 when Okafor needs rest.

Golden State: Monta Ellis, Matt Barnes, Baron Davis and Mickael Pietrus - All wings and points, so not necessarily a need here. But Baron was a fan favorite when the Hornets were here.

Los Angeles Clippers: Elton Brand - Would be a nice addition beside Okafor, but would want more than we'd have to offer.

Milwaukee: Jake Voskuhl - Was an important energy guy a couple of years ago for us, we could pick him up cheap.

Philadelphia: Andre Iguodala - High flyer, would be an excellent replacement if Wallace got shipped, but would probably want max money.

Sacramento: Ron Artest - Ok, ok, I know some of you will kill me for this, but think about it. Artest is a strong defensive-minded player. Brown loves defense. I know Artest has had a very horrible past, and probably wouldn't come here, but it's a thought.

San Antonio: Kurt Thomas - Another big that would compliment Okafor's game. Michael Finley would be a nice veteran to help the team, but adding another wing would just cause too many problems.

Washington: Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison - I'm not stupid enough to think that Arenas would come here. But in a perfect world, we could package Felton and Wallace with some fillers for Arenas and Jamison. Arenas has stated that he wants to be with Jamison, and Jamison said he wouldn't mind being here. Unfortunately, we wouldn't have the cap room to have Okaor's, Arenas' and Jamison's contracts.

So there you go...discuss it, mull over it, bash me for it, whatever you wish.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Post-draft speculations...

Walter Hermann I would definitely love to see back. Hard worker, LB type of guy. I don't think we'll ever see Frenchy on the Benchy in a Bobcats uniform.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

Brand (sign and trade) and someone for Wallace and Felton (cause they need a point as Livingston will never return). That someone could be one of their average wings or a player from a 3rd team. Either way we are giving up 2 big pieces and would want 2 back but it's a thought. That is assuming Brown is convinced Augustin will be better than Felton.

Mobley or Magette are they there? Know we wouldn't take Kaman and that's why I think a 3rd team coming in and maybe us getting a 1st from both or else a 6th man type of level guy for any team in the league as a boardline starter for us.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Maggette is also a free agent.

I was really thinking about that Wizards trade last night. Arenas has said he would take a pay cut to keep Jamison, and Jamison has said he would love to finish out his career in Charlotte. So, if Washington re-signed both, Arenas for less and Jamison for about the same as Wallace's or Okafor's contract, would this work...

Arenas + Jamison
for
Felton + Carroll + Wallace + May/Morrison

Not sure if the salaries would even work out there, but probably my best attempt at making this a perfect world.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

I'd say we're getting much bigger names in that deal and thus although it would be fair, it wouldn't happen. Nice thought though.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Now that I've looked at the free agents, let's look at who's on the trading block and I'll run by a couple of trades that might pass by.

There's a lot of speculation that Felton is being shopped, but as we've seen, with the hiring of Larry Brown, no one is safe.

It seems that Charlie Villanueva of the Milwaukee Bucks is being shopped. We still need a big man and pairing Villanueva and Okafor would work seeing as the two won a national championship together a few years ago. I don't see us giving up a lot for him, maybe Matt Carroll or Raymond Felton, but not both.

If we traded Felton, it would most likely mean that DJ Augustin would be the starter. However, Jamaal Tinsley of the Indiana Pacers looks to be in the same position as Felton, if not worse, with the arrival of TJ Ford and Jerryd Bayless...who knows? If Felton is shipped off, Tinsley could be a perfect fit.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Default Re: Post-draft speculations: Free Agents and the Trading Block

We ain't gettin' Jamison. I'm dumbfounded he's gettin' paid so much at his age (4yrs, $50 mil). Wonder what it means for Arenas' contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3467806
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I guess the Wizards FO has too much money to spend so they're going to lock up Arenas and Jamison. I heard Arenas is getting a 6 year deal with over 100 mil.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Elton Brand and Baron Davis opted out of their deals. Brand/Okafor would be sweet and Baron Davis back in Charlotte would be nice. However, landing both of these guys would be extremely difficult unless Baron got MLE which I highly doubt he'd do.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Elton Brand and Baron Davis opted out of their deals. Brand/Okafor would be sweet and Baron Davis back in Charlotte would be nice. However, landing both of these guys would be extremely difficult unless Baron got MLE which I highly doubt he'd do.
Only way we get either would be through sign and trade. Brand pretty much ain't happening. Davis is possible if we send away Felton + ______.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Felton + Morrison + Harrington + Future 2nd rounder.....not like we need those things anyway.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Someone who knows salaries check this one out...

Felton + Carroll + Wallace

for

Farmar + Turiaf + Odom

yah? yah?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

Odom does still make alot of sense but having him and Okafor both potential unrestricted free agents next year isn't that reassuring.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Well yeah, but hopefully we'll re-sign Okafor long-term.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #15
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Apparently Davis is off the board now b/c he's going to the Clippers. I feel like we could offer him more than 65/5 in a sign-and-trade. He must really want to be in LA (which in understandable) b/c that deal will give him a $4 mil pay cut next season and will put him under contract until he is well past his prime (at 34). It would probably be better for him to try for a sign-and-trade for a 6yr deal and a higher salary. But maybe this is just me wanting him back in Charlotte.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: