Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default Sam Vincent Update (LMAO!)

Quote:
Former Charlotte Bobcat coach Sam Vincent appears to be headed back to the NBA’s Development League.

On Thursday, Vincent confirmed he has been talks with the Reno franchise about becoming its first coach beginning in 2008-09 season.

“It is something I am in discussion with Mr. Kahn about,” said Vincent when reached by phone. “We’re in the final stages of getting some things worked out. Assuming those things get worked out, then that will be the case.”

David Kahn, who wasn’t immediately available for comment, is the majority owner of the yet-to-be named Reno franchise.

The Reno franchised will have a press conference Tuesday to formally announce Vincent’s hiring. It will be at the Reno Events Center, which will serve as the team’s home court.

Vincent was fired after one year with the Bobcats and replaced by Larry Brown. The Bobcats posted a 32-50 record under Vincent during the 2007-08 season, and just five games out of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

The Bobcats played without second-leading scorer Gerald Wallace for 20 games and the top pick in the 2006 NBA draft, Adam Morrison, for the season.

Vincent was the first former D-League coach to become an NBA coach when he was hired in May 2007. He led the Mobile Revelers to the 2002-03 NBADL championship and coached the Fort Worth Flyers to a league-best record 28-20 in the 2005-06 season. He spent the 2006-07 season as an assistant with the Dallas Mavericks.

“I can’t say I won’t miss the NBA,” Vincent said. “That’s the life of chartered flights, Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons. It’s something that you work hard to get to, but something you enjoy once you get there. The D-League is not that kind life. It’s the life of long trips and no accommodations. But I truly enjoy coaching and I truly enjoy working with the guys and just have an opportunity to stay a part of the NBA and the NBA mission in the D-League. It keeps me excited about coming back and coaching in the league.”

Vincent also has a previous relationship with Kahn, who owned the Flyers before they folded after the 2006-07 season.

“I don’t know that I’d be as comfortable going into a situation that I wasn’t comfortable with the owner and the owner didn’t know me and I didn’t know him,” Vincent said. “With David we’re kind of thinking the same way and were clear. We want this Reno situation to really get off to a great start, want people to come out and enjoy the brand of basketball and really want to get some guys that want to be a part of the community and have fun and try to get the NBA. We think we can make it special.”

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...2Fbreakingnews

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Default Re: Sam Vincent Update (LMAO!)

Maybe the HAHAHAHA should be directed at MJ for hiring Sam Vincent in the first place. Vincent did the best he could, he just wasn't very good. MJ should have better judgment by now.

My concern, to be honest, is that the Bobcats will spend yet another season as one of the laughing-stocks of the NBA and it will once again be because of the head coach--not on his coaching abilities but on his player-related decisions. I had/have my heart set on the Cats being able to sign Antawn Jamison or someone of his caliber, thinking that the Cats new coach would excite veteran players about signing with our team. Enough already of being a 'young' team.

Okay, I've been negative enough already. But I wait for some good news and more fact-based opinions than mine that will give me a more clear picture of the year ahead.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Felton in '08
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Sam Vincent Update (LMAO!)

It would be one thing if Sam lost games due to inexperience (the Celts game for example) but he alieninated the team and played with peoples heads and didn't feel the need to be accountable.That's arrogance and is flat out unacceptable. Sure, MJ deserves some blame, but Vincent got what he deserved.
Felton in '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: