Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Felton in '08
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: That's It! Let the ******* walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
"Biting off our nose to spite our face"?

The ones who'll be hurt in this is us, not Mek. If he takes the qualifying offer he'll hit UFA status at the end of next season...and a lot of teams are going to have space. He'll get paid and we'll get nothing.

I think the error is with the organization for not offering the same contract last year. No doubt it insulted him.

This sums it up perfectly. We've all said that Mek isn't a superstar but that he is a quality defender and rebounder. He'll get his, no question. What will we get? Looks like nothing. Pride isn't always a good thing. We should've offered the same contract as last year and if he passed, then, so be it. We slapped him in the face to start the negotiations by going lower because someone in the front office was angry that he declined last year. No wonder this is going sideways.
Felton in '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Well Bonnell just posted a blog about the BYC complication, just a few days after Spectre's postings here. Wonder if he reads this?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Nobody seems to be falling all over themselves to sign Okafor. I think that by refusing to sign the contract offered by the Cats last year Okafor may have lost respect.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Nobody seems to be falling all over themselves to sign Okafor. I think that by refusing to sign the contract offered by the Cats last year Okafor may have lost respect.

Who knows? The lack of info coming out is killing me. I guess I'll have to find something else to occupy my time. Panthers training camp maybe?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #20
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

He's not gotten any offers (that we know about...Clips DID contact him) because the other teams have assumed they'd just be doing us a favor as we'd match any offer. And we probably would have.

Iggy (Andre Iguodala) hasn't gotten any public offers either, and I'd LOVE to have him on this team.

So far as S&T deals we really have no idea. I doubt seriously if the Bobcats would let it out.

Just an idea, but it's pretty obvious Bonnell's source for that article was Mek's agent. Who's to say he didn't "tip" Bonnell off just to try and gain an edge in negotiations?

Don't be too shocked if in the end Mek signs a deal similar to one offered last year. Not saying I know anything, but I can easily see that happening.

Quote:
Who knows? The lack of info coming out is killing me. I guess I'll have to find something else to occupy my time. Panthers training camp maybe?

Speaking of the Panthers...that playoff game against the Rams back in '04 was on ESPN Classic the other night (double OT...we win on third down on a sweet pass to Smith who runs it 50+ yards to end the game) and I watched every minute. I've NEVER watched a rerun of a football game before, but I have to say I enjoyed every minute of that game.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

We'll gladly take him off your books if possible.

Problem with being a small market team is you just can't compete with big cities in signing FA's. You'd need circumstances like these to grab a decent FA.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
We'll gladly take him off your books if possible.

Problem with being a small market team is you just can't compete with big cities in signing FA's. You'd need circumstances like these to grab a decent FA.
We'll take Gay or Mayo in return, thanks.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #23
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
He's not gotten any offers (that we know about...Clips DID contact him) because the other teams have assumed they'd just be doing us a favor as we'd match any offer. And we probably would have.

Iggy (Andre Iguodala) hasn't gotten any public offers either, and I'd LOVE to have him on this team.

So far as S&T deals we really have no idea. I doubt seriously if the Bobcats would let it out.

Just an idea, but it's pretty obvious Bonnell's source for that article was Mek's agent. Who's to say he didn't "tip" Bonnell off just to try and gain an edge in negotiations?

Don't be too shocked if in the end Mek signs a deal similar to one offered last year. Not saying I know anything, but I can easily see that happening.
why do i get the feelng mr. spectre works for the Bobcats...he seems to know a lot about what's going on

TELL US YOUR SOURCES!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #24
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
why do i get the feelng mr. spectre works for the Bobcats...he seems to know a lot about what's going on

TELL US YOUR SOURCES!

If I do work for the Bobcats they've forgotten to send my check for the last few months.

Just a fanatical fan. It also helps that I don't care for baseball.

Quote:

Money talks, especially if you're talking about the younger players...didn't Chil just bolt to Greece for that big payday? We might have to overpay, but I guarantee that if we have cap we can get a great player.

Besides, Fa isn't the only way. Swish (Jason Richardson) says hello.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
KRAYZIE
National High School Star

Did I miss something here? it didin't mention anything about Mek wanting more money in that article, it seems like he just doesn't want to play for Charlotte anymore.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #26
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Spectre, can we now make the s&t with ATL work?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #27
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAYZIE
Did I miss something here? it didin't mention anything about Mek wanting more money in that article, it seems like he just doesn't want to play for Charlotte anymore.

This part maybe?

Quote:
Negotiations between Okafor and the Bobcats are at an impasse, an informed source told the Observer, with the team offering less now than the $12million-plus annual salary it did a year ago.

That preceeded the first part about how Mek "wasn't inclined to remain with the Bobcats long term", appearing to me that the latter was a result of the former.

Hey, he could be flat pissed and determined to leave us in the dust...I don't know. He's said throughout the season however that he planned to remain a Bobcat and that he was happy here, so this new article to me smells highly of an agent trying to do what he can to get his client paid.

Quote:
Spectre, can we now make the s&t with ATL work?

Atlanta will have to formally renounce Chil to remove his caphold. Until that happens they just don't have the space to absorb the difference.

I've seen two different versions: 1) ATL retains Chil's rights for 2 years then he becomes UFA, which coincidentally is the same length of his new deal. 2) ATL keeps his rights forever, but his caphold...I think about 9 million...will remain on their books during every offseason but won't count against the cap/luxury calculations during the season.

Not sure which is correct, but if it's the first scenario I could see them renouncing him pretty quick.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
meanmonster
Learning to shoot layups

Like I said a few weeks ago... Okafor will not be a Bobcat long, especially while Larry Brown is coach. Okafor is nothing more than a role player, somebody will bite though in the end in a sign and trade.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #29
KRAYZIE
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmonster
Like I said a few weeks ago... Okafor will not be a Bobcat long, especially while Larry Brown is coach. Okafor is nothing more than a role player, somebody will bite though in the end in a sign and trade.
LOL, a role player that is averaging 14 ppg, 11 rpg, 2 bpg on 49% of shooting? WOW! sign me up! he can come to Denver anyday.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAYZIE
LOL, a role player that is averaging 14 ppg, 11 rpg, 2 bpg on 49% of shooting? WOW! sign me up! he can come to Denver anyday.
Just go away plz! Do you think that those stats deserve a max contract?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: