Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Default Okafor is getting screwed.

Sorry, havent posted in a while, but from what I have heard/seen Higgins has offered Okafor even less than the offer of last year which was around 12 million. Biedrins was offered a 6 year deal at 63 million, and he has done nothing compared to Okafor. I can completely understand why Okafor is holding out, I would as well. Okafor has done more than both Bogut, and Biedrins and their getting deals in the 10-11 million dollar range. I would be insulted If I was Okafor. Peter Vescey of the NY times reported that Charlotte offered Okafor 10 mill a year. Sorry, but the market is very, very high right now for bigs that can handle the lane in the NBA, as it has always been. Should he get max money? No. But look at the other deals and you will see why he isnt signing.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Re: Okafor is getting screwed.

Yeah I understand completely. Bogut didn't deserve his contract, but now he's set the precedent. Okafor probably won't settle for anything less than 13 mil a year.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Nobody's busting down the doors trying to sign Okafor at any price.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Nobody's busting down the doors trying to sign Okafor at any price.

That's because nobody has cap space. I could see him holding out or signing the QO and bolting next season. Sad, sad, sad. Our starting lineup:

Felton/Augustin
Jrich/caroll
Nazr/Hollins
May(for the first 5 or so games, then Davidson)
Crash/Dudley/Morrison

see a gaping hole anywhere?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
That's because nobody has cap space. I could see him holding out or signing the QO and bolting next season. Sad, sad, sad. Our starting lineup:

Felton/Augustin
Jrich/caroll
Nazr/Hollins
May(for the first 5 or so games, then Davidson)
Crash/Dudley/Morrison

see a gaping hole anywhere?

Then instead of being cheap why doesn't our FO just offer Okafor a decent contract rather than creating such bad blood. Why would Oke want to play for the Cats when the FO is screwing around with him?

Keep Okafor. Sign and trade the Cats mgmt.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

I'm not sure what Okafor is thinking really. If he had taken a 5 yr deal last year or takes a deal this year, he will make (assuming the Bobcats original offer) around 12 million this year. If not he will take his 7 mil this year and then get what he can next off season.

What does that mean? Well first, he has to hope to get at least 1 mil more per year than the Cats offer him to make up for the difference between the 7 and 12 he would make in 08-09.

Secondly, he needs to think about the interest he would make on that extra 5 mil. I went ahead and assumed a 4% interest rate for no real reason. In order to make up for the extra 5 mil he would make this year, Mek would have to make about 13.3775 mil per year to make up for what he will lose this year.

Anyways, just throwing numbers out there but to be honest, I think this started out being about money and I don't think he will get more than we will offer on the open market. However, I don't think it's about money anymore. The whole situation sucks b/c Okafor is acting like a pre-madonna (he's not as good as he thinks, or at least isn't showing it on the court) and mgmt is just being stupid (at least offer him what you did last summer, good lord).
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: