Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Rifles make up 4% of gun homicides...Handguns make up 72%

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    There in lies the argument. The pro gun side feels rifles with high capacity magazines are needed for protection and hunting. Heres the flaw in this argument. It shouldnt take 60-90 rounds to kill a dear or pig. And only a fool would really feel theres a need for that kind of firepower to defend a home. And saying you need it to fend off the government is just beyond retarded. So what legitimate purpose could having a high capacity rifle have?
    who cares though? maybe they just like to look at rifles?...your opinion is that they don't need those rifles and they disagree...the fact remains is that the rifles aren't doing much harm in this country so why are we focusing so much on them?

[COLOR="Red"]Handguns do more damage because THERES MORE OF THEM[/COLOR]. They dont need to be banned, but sure as hell need to be more regulated as to help lower the risk of them falling into the wrong hands. Your chances of surviving a shot from a handgun are much better than a rifle. Rifles with big clips arent needed in civilized society.
    exactly!...let's focus on the guns we actually have...no one even owns assault rifles

assault rifles are designed for long range gun fights...

handguns are designed for close range/indoors...and because of that all the murders in this country are done with handguns

NBA rookie of the year

There in lies the argument. The pro gun side feels rifles with high capacity magazines are needed for protection and hunting. Heres the flaw in this argument. It shouldnt take 60-90 rounds to kill a dear or pig. And only a fool would really feel theres a need for that kind of firepower to defend a home. And saying you need it to fend off the government is just beyond retarded. So what legitimate purpose could having a high capacity rifle have?

Handguns do more damage because THERES MORE OF THEM. They dont need to be banned, but sure as hell need to be more regulated as to help lower the risk of them falling into the wrong hands. Your chances of surviving a shot from a handgun are much better than a rifle. Rifles with big clips arent needed in civilized society.
    That's where the pro-gun side is failing rhetorically. Don't argue for why they're necessary, argue simply that a) you want them and b) your right to have them is protected.

If they're so hung up on "necessary", they need to make more compelling arguments.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    This is exactly why I brought up the atomic bomb comparison a few pages back.

Hey, A-bombs kill 0 people every year. Let's unban them.
    You can't use an atomic bomb for self defense without injuring many innocent people in the process.

Yes atom bombs are totally relevant to this argument.

nukes are just like assault rifles...they should be treated the same way

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    The bold is just simply not true. It is well established on these boards that you do not have the knowledge necessary to participate in this debate. Go away.
    Are you implying Rifles arent more deadly than Handguns?

And who established this? You? Theres no way you can honestly tell me the accessories that can be added to Rifles are added just for looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    That's where the pro-gun side is failing rhetorically. Don't argue for why they're necessary, argue simply that a) you want them and b) your right to have them is protected.

If they're so hung up on "necessary", they need to make more compelling arguments.
    And I coukd see that. But then my stance is just to regulate them. Have more responsibly for gun owners who allow their guns to fall into the wrong hands. Thats the root of the problem.

Trying to ban assault rifles is useless. I mean its a good effort but if our goal is to actually to slow crime, I agree with PT's theory that handguns should be the focus

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Trying to ban assault rifles is useless. I mean its a good effort but if our goal is to actually to slow crime, I agree with PT's theory that handguns should be the focus
    stop it, you're making too much sense...

Decent college freshman

And who established this? You? Theres no way you can honestly tell me the accessories that can be added to Rifles are added just for looks.

How many times do I have to explain this to you?

These are the SAME gun, a Ruger Mini 14. They shoot the same bullet, hold the same magazines, have the same action, have the same barrel, etc etc.

There is NOTHING the second gun does that the first does not. The black stock, pistol grip and all the rest of the tactical bullshit is for looks and ergonomics. It looks cool and it's more comfortable to hold a pistol grip.

That's it. Period.

There is no +5 damage to little children bonus for a pistol grip. A black stock does not grant +10% to murder.

This is not Call of Duty.

Get this through your head.

Decent college freshman

How are you quantifying "deadliness"? A .223 AR15 is no where near as devastating as a .50 Desert Eagle. A .45 Colt like John Wayne used to use would leave a much larger wound than an AR15.

Here is a chart for ammo size comparison:

Link

.223, the round used by most AR15s, is #13 on top. It is what is called an "intermediate" cartridge. Look at the size of the bullet, then compare it to the handgun rounds on the bottom. The projectile from a .223 is smaller than the vast majority of them.

There were a whole bunch of people who shit their pants when the military switched over to .223. They thought it was too small.

There is nothing magical about a rifle that makes it more dangerous than a handgun. It does not have bigger bullets, more power or any magical killing ability.

Seriously man it's getting ridiculous having to explain this to you. It's like if we were debating politics and you came in with no knowledge of the issues but a very strong opinion one way. Your opinion is based on misinformation, and if you aren't even willing to educate yourself on the subject you shouldn't be opening your mouth. All you are doing is muddling the debate with your bullshit.

yeah like I said earlier, most people don't understand that the only difference between an "assault rifle" and a "hunting rifle" is the clip...that's it

oh, and the way it looks...

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Yes, but you cant just skip the first step. You have to ban assualt rifles first and move from there. Stop trying to avoid the common sense involved. There are too many factors at play when comparing handgun deaths vs rifle deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls

How many times do I have to explain this to you?

These are the SAME gun, a Ruger Mini 14. They shoot the same bullet, hold the same magazines, have the same action, have the same barrel, etc etc.

There is NOTHING the second gun does that the first does not. The black stock, pistol grip and all the rest of the tactical bullshit is for looks and ergonomics. It looks cool and it's more comfortable to hold a pistol grip.

That's it. Period.

There is no +5 damage to little children bonus for a pistol grip. A black stock does not grant +10% to murder.

This is not Call of Duty.

Get this through your head.
    We had this conversation before. Initially, you stated that there was no difference between the two other than the case and color. I said the grips make the second more accurate. You have obvioisly come off your original stance and use the term "comfortable". So there is a difference. The second allows more "comfort" in your words, and thus makes it easier operate. The bottom line is there is a difference. Slight but it is.

Its the same a saying a Shelby GT500 and Mustang GT are the same. Theyre both Mustangs, but more is involved in the Shelby.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    [COLOR="Red"]Yes, but you cant just skip the first step. You have to ban assualt rifles first and move from there.[/COLOR] Stop trying to avoid the common sense involved. There are too many factors at play when comparing handgun deaths vs rifle deaths.
    wtf? why?...why do you think we have to do these 'steps"?

have you heard of the "Brady Bill"?...it is the reason we have to wait 2 weeks for a HANDGUN...when we did that how come we skipped these steps you speak of and hoped over rifles?