Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2018, 01:25 AM   #16
Lakers Legend#32
College superstar
 
Lakers Legend#32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Low Rent Dist of Raider Nation
Posts: 4,338
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

What's Patrick Chewing's handle on Gab?
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #17
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,075
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
This apparently what's on their website:

All you're doing is giving more power to the idea that silicon valley is anti-free speech and biased.

Are you saying that it is ant-free speech for these American businesses to decide to end business dealings with a service that violates their terms of service? Have any of these businesses violated the 1st Amendment?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,075
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
The problem is the definition of hate speech is completely arbitrary and isn't uniformly applied. Hate speech is just a dumb concept all around - it's simply shit you don't agree with or you get offended at which changes from person to person.

Gab has only been shut down because of the publicity it received from the shooting - not for anything you listed.

Online services have historically wrestled with protocols and procedures around hate speech on their platforms. Most would rather not have to deal with the issue but are forced to address it when other users complain or the issue becomes prominent. Section 230 of the CDA gives them that leeway. It's certainly not a violation of free speech when companies finally, after hemming and hawing, enforce their ToS.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #19
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Are you saying that it is ant-free speech for these American businesses to decide to end business dealings with a service that violates their terms of service? Have any of these businesses violated the 1st Amendment?
Yes, itís anti free speech. Itís not anti 1st amendment.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #20
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,075
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Yes, itís anti free speech. Itís not anti 1st amendment.

So then it would be anti free speech for any entity or organization to have Terms of Service that outline what is inappropriate on their servers or under what conditions they may refuse to do business with other organizations or individuals, and to enforce those Terms of Service.

That's obviously ridiculous and doesn't stand up to even a modicum of scrutiny. The notion of free speech allows you the right to communicate your opinions and ideas, but it does not automatically entitle you to the use of another's platform to communicate those opinions and ideas. It certainly doesn't allow your speech to supersede that of someone else or that of an organization.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #21
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
So then it would be anti free speech for any entity or organization to have Terms of Service that outline what is inappropriate on their servers or under what conditions they may refuse to do business with other organizations or individuals, and to enforce those Terms of Service.
Yes. Itís anti free speech, which is fine. Private organizations arenít required to have a free speech policy. Most donít. Any organization I would own probably wouldnít have a free speech policy. There would almost certainly be rules on what you can and canít say. For example, no swearing around customers.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #22
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped
 
HarryBergeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: 2081
Posts: 909
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

"Just build your own twitter"

"Just build your own payment processor"

"Just build your own credit card company"

"Just build your own internet"


...
HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #23
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,075
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Yes. Itís anti free speech, which is fine. Private organizations arenít required to have a free speech policy. Most donít. Any organization I would own probably wouldnít have a free speech policy. There would almost certainly be rules on what you can and canít say. For example, no swearing around customers.

Based on what you've said, if you set rules or terms as to what an employee can and can't say to customers or around customers, that's anti-free speech.

Let's crystallize this further. Based on your assessment, if you were a business owner and were to sue or seek an injunction against a competing business that printed and disseminated libelous information about you and your business in an attempt to gain an edge, you would be anti-free speech. If you were to win your case, the judge and the jury would be anti free speech as well.

We need to be careful to separate the notion of free speech from the notion of being able to say whatever you'd like to say without consequence. We're crossing into a place where levying reasonable consequences for certain speech is being labeled as anti-free speech.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #24
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped
 
HarryBergeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: 2081
Posts: 909
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

When are ISP's, payment processors and major social networks going to be regulated like the modern day utilities they are?


Interestingly, we are witnessing a seismic shift in American politics. The right have become increasingly protectionist and anti-monopoly, while the left has become increasingly corporatist and pro "free trade"
HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #25
highwhey
me chingue tu morra
 
highwhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,660
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBergeron
When are ISP's, payment processors and major social networks going to be regulated like the modern day utilities they are?


Interestingly, we are witnessing a seismic shift in American politics. The right have become increasingly protectionist and anti-monopoly, while the left has become increasingly corporatist and pro "free trade"
umm....

Quote:
The FCC voted 3-2 in December to reverse the Obama era rules that barred internet service providers from blocking or throttling traffic or offering paid fast lanes, also known as paid prioritization. FCC repeal of the 2015 net neutrality rules was a win for ISPs Comcast Corp, AT&T Inc and Verizon Communications Inc, whose practices faced significant government oversight.

this happened under Trump, who appointed Ajit Pai as chairman of the FCC.

highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #26
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped
 
HarryBergeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: 2081
Posts: 909
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

>politicians actions are a reflection of their voters attitudes

The famed high mestizo IQ on display right here folks.

By that logic I guess right wingers really didnt want that wall after all and Obama voters are totally pro gitmo too...
HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #27
highwhey
me chingue tu morra
 
highwhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,660
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBergeron
>politicians actions are a reflection of their voters attitudes

The famed high mestizo IQ on display right here folks.

By that logic I guess right wingers really didnt want that wall after all and Obama voters are totally pro gitmo too...
imagine being this low iq that you can't recognize both sides of the isle have enabled ISP's to run wild freely. obama appointed this cvnt as commissioner, only to have trump appoint him as chairman, both sides are enabling ISP's and corporations alike to have free reign.

^^^when trying to be a knowitall fails
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #28
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped
 
HarryBergeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: 2081
Posts: 909
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Again, the morbidly obese, low IQ mestizo cant differentiate between the populace and the polititians who allegedly represent them. I guess it's my fault for even hoping that the communication gap could be bridged. I will endevour towards greater cynisism in the future.


HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #29
GimmeThat
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,480
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

people with wealth don't generally throw away a tool just because there's a bit of sh*t stain on there
GimmeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #30
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,075
Default Re: Gab Shuts Down as Companies Distance Themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
imagine being this low iq that you can't recognize both sides of the isle have enabled ISP's to run wild freely. obama appointed this cvnt as commissioner, only to have trump appoint him as chairman, both sides are enabling ISP's and corporations alike to have free reign.

^^^when trying to be a knowitall fails

The FCC has 5 commissioners, and only 3 of the 5 can be of the same party. There are generally three Dems when the President is a Democrat and 3 Republicans when the President is a Republican. Pai was basically a compromise between Obama, McConnell and the Senate. I suspect Obama regrets the compromise, but I get the sense that most other Republicans would be just as effective as him in pushing this agenda.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy