Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

[QUOTE]The niece of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. says she is not a fan of the viral image of her uncle wearing a hoodie in support of Trayvon Martin. The image, created by artist Nikkolas Smith and spread widely by activist Van Jones on Twitter, shows a contemplative King wearing the garment, which has become a symbol of support for the slain 17-year-old.

Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

whatevs.

my grandparents had hoodies.

people need to stop acting like only thugs wear them.

Banned

Default Re: MLK's niece on viral hoodie image: 'Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    So if I go out wearing a hoodie, I'm automatically a Trayvon Martin supporter?
    She also mentioned sagging pants. It's on Yahoo. I should have posted the link but I don't want to look for it again.

Decent playground baller Immortal Bum's Avatar

lmao oh shit now we can't wear hoodies anymore

National High School Star

Neither would Vince Lombardi wear a hoodie. Bill Belichick is a damn thug

Only thing MLK would say about this whole situation is probably this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FR1LGsT7E

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    She also mentioned sagging pants. It's on Yahoo. I should have posted the link but I don't want to look for it again.
    http://news.yahoo.com/mlk-s-niece-on...164608597.html

“Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would very likely not wear a hoodie,” she said. “I can assure you he would not wear sagging pants. I don't even think I’ve ever even seen his sons with sagging pants.”

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

She's a conservative pro-life activist.

I think it's wrong for either side to speak up for the dead about what they would or wouldn't do. She'd probably go as far as saying MLK would have voted for Mitt Romney in this last election.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

people need to stop acting like only thugs wear them.

People also need to stop acting like only black people wear them.

Why are people still relating hoodies to thug. He had on a hoodie because it was raining.

You know what? I think she is completely right. MLK JR is the type of guy that would not walk around wearing a hoodie.

He is also the type of guy that preached non-violence; everything he stood for and did in his life was based on the study of non-violence. If somebody hit him, he would not hit back. He based his life around the studies of Mahatma Gandhi. He is the type of guy that would rather get arrested and thrown in jail for something he believed in than violate his own beliefs. THAT right there goes against the actions of Trayvon Martin. Sure, he was a kid and you can make the argument that his violent actions were also in self-defense, but don't distort what MLK stood for to make your own activist statement. MLK STOOD FOR NON-VIOLENCE EVEN UNDER OPPRESSION!!

I find it very insulting that people are using MLK in this to get their own biases over this case across. That goes against everything MLK himself believed in. I studied MLK's life very closely, and I find him to be one of the most inspirational people that I have ever studied. And I'm not black.

Lets not act as if Trayvon Martin was like MLK JR. No, there are ZERO similarities and to try to create some sort of connection between the two is in violation of MLK's beliefs and standards.
    Last edited by bladefd; 07-16-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    She'd probably go as far as saying MLK would have voted for Mitt Romney in this last election.

Wait, DID she say that, or are you attempting to put words in her mouth?

Hoodie this...Hoodie that......stupid Fing media and thier white wash reporters....

they have no clue....

( goes to stock port.... Purchases stock in www.myhoodie.com )

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Wait, DID she say that, or are you attempting to put words in her mouth?
    She claims MLK was a Republican & would be a Republican still today

Although MLK never claimed a party Many Blacks were Repubs before the 1960's Civil Rights & Voting Rights Acts.

Not the same 'Party of Abe Lincoln' GOP today. The Southern Strategy turned the bigoted Southern Dems to solidly GOP today.

See Southern Strategy.
    Last edited by 32jazz; 07-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.