Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #61
eliteballer
NBA All-star

Default Re: Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan: Who's better?

You guys make it sound like some outrageous claim when the talk of the league during the 3-peat to explain LA's dominance was that the Lakers had the leagues 2 best players. Hell even Barkley was saying Kobe was better than MJ at the same age because of that 2001 series.
eliteballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #62
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

Career wise, definitely Duncan. 3 rings, 3 finals MVP's, 2 league MVP's, ASG MVP, has been selected to the all NBA first team since his first season, will win the DPOY maybe even this year, has also been named to the all defensive team many times..

Hard to argue against Timmy when it comes to achivements when it comes to career legacy.

A for their playoffs matches, hm..

2001 - Kobe was clearly better
2002 - Duncan was clearly better
2003 - I give the edge to Duncan
2004 - I give the edge to Kobe

Also, Kobe was always the man against the Spurs. I don't remember one series that Shaq outplayed Duncan. Duncan always looked than Shaq.

Comparing what Kobe's been doing for the Lakers at the time and what Tony Parker is doing now is a prime example of ignorance, Kobe hate and chaning the reality because their roles are by no means the same. Not even close.
That's laughable, hateful and disrespectful.

That pretty much is it. As great as Duncan is now...boy, he was a beast in those days. 2002 playoffs, 2003 playoffs. He was just unbelieveable.

I'm hoping for this matchup in this years playoffs. I want to see some vintage Lakers vs Spurs action.
CristianoVirtuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #63
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

dumb topics like this are what create madness around ISH.

tim duncan is the greatest power forward of all time.
kobe bryant is the 2nd greatest shooting guard of all time.

thats it.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #64
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
dumb topics like this are what create madness around ISH.

tim duncan is the greatest power forward of all time.
kobe bryant is the 2nd greatest shooting guard of all time.

thats it.
Edit: Nevermind, more easily summed up with: :rollingeyes:
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #65
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I always find it hard to make comparisons like these between a swingman and a big because they have two completely different skill sets. When these comparisons pop up i find myself thinking the only way to tell who is better is by thinking "who is more dominant" or "who improves his team the most" and those usually lead to vague, unconvincing arguements.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #66
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Simply put.

Kobe is a far better individual player. He's the better "player."

Duncan understands team concept better, and his strengths are far more influencial on winning basketball games, and championships.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #67
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

Let's compare

Kobe - 3 rings
Big O - 1 ring

Kobe - no MVP's
Big O - 1 MVP

Kobe - 9 times all star
Bio O - 12 times all star

Kobe - 8 times all NBA selection
Big O - 11 times all NBA selection

Kobe - 6 times all defensive selection
Big O - no all defensive selection

Big O - all time leader in TD's
Kobe - is making his mark as one of the best scorers ever, scored 81, 4 50+ games in a row, 9 40+ games in a row

To me it seems that Oscar was a better and more all around skilled player in his prime and that's a pretty important argument to me but since you guys don't admit that argument to Kobe when you compare him to other players I don't see why we should give that credit to Oscar, right?

Eh..

Oscar is a better player to me, at least statistically because I haven't watched him play but those stats..daayum.
Kobe will have a better legacy, if he already doesn't..
They're comparable but those rings speak heavily in Kobe's favor.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #68
tmacman
3/8

Duncan of course. Not to knock on Kobe or anything but he and Nash are the only players right now with two MVP's
tmacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #69
West-Side
Goat Loading

For the past 3 years, Kobe...entire career, Duncan and Kobe has some work to do to catch him.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #70
EricForman
Good college starter

Dude, you can't even count 8 guys in the history of the league with better "careers" than Duncan, let's leave Kobe out of this discussion, yeah?
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #71
rzp
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
For the past 3 years, Kobe...entire career, Duncan and Kobe has some work to do to catch him.

just curious....
arent the Spurs 2005 nba champions?
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #72
rzp
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianoVirtuos

A for their playoffs matches, hm..

2001 - Kobe was clearly better
2002 - Duncan was clearly better
2003 - I give the edge to Duncan
2004 - I give the edge to Kobe

i cant imagine a worse Lakers when i see TD in Kobe´s place...TD+Shaq would be a NIGHTMARE (probly the best duet ever, its like Bird/Magic on the same team, MJ/Dream on the same team )
TD was clearly better than Kobe "second banana" Bryant in all those years

Last edited by rzp : 04-03-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #73
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzp
i cant imagine a worse Lakers when i see TD in Kobe´s place...TD+Shaq would be a NIGHTMARE (probly the best duet ever, its like Bird/Magic on the same team, MJ/Dream on the same team )
TD was clearly better than Kobe "second banana" Bryant in all those years

Might want to watch those games again. I clearly remember each and every game from all those years.

Kobe was no second banana against the Spurs. No no no. He was the man against them and the main reason why the Lakers beat them those years.
Ask Spurs fans. I"ll go as far as saying that Duncan was a better player than Shaq pretty much all those years...when they faced each other, of course.

Duncan was clearly much better in 2002 although the Lakers won but it was like a one man playing againt two and in 2003 he made a hell of a statement with the last game, had like 30 points and 15 rebounds or something. He was not going to let the Spurs lose that one but Kobe was also pretty good that year.
In 2004 it was a similiar situation, both Duncan and Kobe played below their standards but still better than 98 % of the league. What changed the series the most except for DFish's game winner which totally killed the Spurs was Kobe's 40+ game 4. I clearly remember that one because I was like "it's over, we're losing this"...and throughout the series Kobe was better IMO.

But I think it's clear to anyone who's watched them that in 2001 Kobe was clearly better, statistically too I bet.
Ditto for Duncan in 2002.

But great since he's a Kobe "second banana" Bryant he must suck and all those games must be erased from our memories
Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #74
rzp
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianoVirtuos
Might want to watch those games again. I clearly remember each and every game from all those years.

Kobe was no second banana against the Spurs. No no no. He was the man against them and the main reason why the Lakers beat them those years.
Ask Spurs fans. I"ll go as far as saying that Duncan was a better player than Shaq pretty much all those years...when they faced each other, of course.

Duncan was clearly much better in 2002 although the Lakers won but it was like a one man playing againt two and in 2003 he made a hell of a statement with the last game, had like 30 points and 15 rebounds or something. He was not going to let the Spurs lose that one but Kobe was also pretty good that year.
In 2004 it was a similiar situation, both Duncan and Kobe played below their standards but still better than 98 % of the league. What changed the series the most except for DFish's game winner which totally killed the Spurs was Kobe's 40+ game 4. I clearly remember that one because I was like "it's over, we're losing this"...and throughout the series Kobe was better IMO.

But I think it's clear to anyone who's watched them that in 2001 Kobe was clearly better, statistically too I bet.
Ditto for Duncan in 2002.

But great since he's a Kobe "second banana" Bryant he must suck and all those games must be erased from our memories

my point is not about Shaq vs Kobe ,its about Kobe vs TD ...shift TD for Kobe...wat happens?No Spurs...no dramatic games...no .4 fishers...no oponents for Lakers...many titles in a row...becuz the clearly 2 best players over a decade are on the same team...would be a rape ; about Kobe on the Spurs? . OF COURSE its pure speculation...but its not hard to imagine that
Old 04-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #75
grimreaper1377
Good High School Starter

Duncan.
grimreaper1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: