Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #196
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,774
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

I bought the remaster of TLoU almost exclusively for the DLC, and enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a bit short, and there was a little too much cutesy-ness, which I don't mind so much with the story, which was excellent, but it was built into some of the game mechanics.

I'd love to see another game built into this world, but that stands almost entirely on it's own. Following some new survivors through some new story from another part of the country, or even somewhere else in the world.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #197
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,998
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Well the big rumor is that ND is making The Last of Us 2 with Tommy as the leading character. Which would be a little....disappointing. Another hardened pre-pocalypse guy in his 40s, a familiar face, with undoubtedly many similarities and references to the first game.

I'll take more TLOU over more Uncharted any day of the week. But if they are doing it (foregone conclusion at this point) I also hope they'll move plenty far away from the original in terms of story and characters.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #198
outbreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,401
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Great game but I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't so hype. Nowhere near the best game I've ever played game play wise. I'd love a sequel though, I thought an older Ellie could work.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #199
West-Side
Goat Loading
 
West-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
Great game but I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't so hype. Nowhere near the best game I've ever played game play wise. I'd love a sequel though, I thought an older Ellie could work.

Only way that's possible is if you simply don't enjoy the genre.
There aren't 5 games better than this game, at any point in time on any console.

It was hyped because it was as perfect of a game as you can make.

LJJ; Uncharted 4 looks better than TLoU and by a significant margin. I've never seen something that epic.

- The graphics are the best I've seen.
- During gun-play the environment is destructive; when a grenade is thrown, everything in sight gets damaged.
- It is now far less linear and allows the player to take multiple cuts.
- Drake has new fighting animations; movement animations; climbing tools and animations.
- The game is supposedly far longer than any of its previous installments.

I think it will blow TLoU out of the water; it's the game ND spend the most time developing, so I know they're taking their time perfecting it.

TLoU 2 is a first day purchase for me; but I also want Red Dead Redemption 2.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #200
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,774
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

I don't think Tommy is a terrible idea. And an older Ellie would be fine too.

I just think they have to not do a mysterious cure story.

Some other plot device I think would be the key. That's why I think Tommy wouldn't be bad, because his driving plot would be establishing a defendable community, which would look past the notion of cure altogether. Although I agree the tone of the character would be hard to separate from Joel.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #201
West-Side
Goat Loading
 
West-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I don't think Tommy is a terrible idea. And an older Ellie would be fine too.

I just think they have to not do a mysterious cure story.

Some other plot device I think would be the key. That's why I think Tommy wouldn't be bad, because his driving plot would be establishing a defendable community, which would look past the notion of cure altogether. Although I agree the tone of the character would be hard to separate from Joel.

I think one of the most logical sequels would involve revenge. Like the fireflies killing Joel shortly after he shot Merlene; and Tommy & Ellie set out to hunt them down one by one.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #202
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,774
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
I think one of the most logical sequels would involve revenge. Like the fireflies killing Joel shortly after he shot Merlene; and Tommy & Ellie set out to hunt them down one by one.


That would work.

I think I'd prefer something concurrent to the original story though. Like following Tommy's run after splitting from Joel. You could have him meet his wife and run with her for a while, developing that relationship, and eventually doing stuff to set up his town that they've put together. Early chapter could be his intro into and eventually leaving the fireflies.

Eventually you could end it at Joel's entrance into the story. Or play that through as a chapter, and then run a final chapter of a revenge plot like you suggest, perhaps with Ellie as the sidekick for that revenge sequence.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #203
outbreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,401
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
Only way that's possible is if you simply don't enjoy the genre.
There aren't 5 games better than this game, at any point in time on any console.

It was hyped because it was as perfect of a game as you can make.

LJJ; Uncharted 4 looks better than TLoU and by a significant margin. I've never seen something that epic.

- The graphics are the best I've seen.
- During gun-play the environment is destructive; when a grenade is thrown, everything in sight gets damaged.
- It is now far less linear and allows the player to take multiple cuts.
- Drake has new fighting animations; movement animations; climbing tools and animations.
- The game is supposedly far longer than any of its previous installments.

I think it will blow TLoU out of the water; it's the game ND spend the most time developing, so I know they're taking their time perfecting it.

TLoU 2 is a first day purchase for me; but I also want Red Dead Redemption 2.

The shooting mechanics sucked, the AI was flat out broken and they used some cheap gimmicks in areas to force you to play their way.

Good enjoyable game, solid 8/10 but it was far from perfect gameplay wise.

Some people complain about the story being clichéd too but i don't mind that because of how well they executed it.

Last edited by outbreak : 07-29-2015 at 05:08 PM.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #204
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch
 
Ai2death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,149
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
Only way that's possible is if you simply don't enjoy the genre.
There aren't 5 games better than this game, at any point in time on any console.

It was hyped because it was as perfect of a game as you can make.

LJJ; Uncharted 4 looks better than TLoU and by a significant margin. I've never seen something that epic.

- The graphics are the best I've seen.
- During gun-play the environment is destructive; when a grenade is thrown, everything in sight gets damaged.
- It is now far less linear and allows the player to take multiple cuts.
- Drake has new fighting animations; movement animations; climbing tools and animations.
- The game is supposedly far longer than any of its previous installments.

I think it will blow TLoU out of the water; it's the game ND spend the most time developing, so I know they're taking their time perfecting it.

TLoU 2 is a first day purchase for me; but I also want Red Dead Redemption 2.

Don't worry about Outbreak too much with this game. There's already been a lot of discussion on the matter, and nothing will change his mind.
It's his opinion, but yes the general consensus is that it is definitely up there.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #205
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,998
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai2death
Don't worry about Outbreak too much with this game. There's already been a lot of discussion on the matter, and nothing will change his mind.
It's his opinion, but yes the general consensus is that it is definitely up there.

To be fair, I think the consensus is more "TLOU is one of the best games of gen 7",
and much less "There aren't 5 games better than this game, at any point in time on any console.".
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #206
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch
 
Ai2death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,149
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
To be fair, I think the consensus is more "TLOU is one of the best games of gen 7",
and much less "There aren't 5 games better than this game, at any point in time on any console.".

Honestly i thought that was implied, It's not fair to rate games best of all time as technology and demographic change. Best games of generations though? Absolutely.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #207
West-Side
Goat Loading
 
West-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
To be fair, I think the consensus is more "TLOU is one of the best games of gen 7",
and much less "There aren't 5 games better than this game, at any point in time on any console.".

Not really; I believe it's one of the five best games ever made.
It has a 9.5 rating on metacritic. Only 38 titles in gaming history have 96 or above. Only 6 of those titles are from PS3/360/PS4/X1 (current generation).

However, it has a 9.1 gamer rating (over 6,600 reviews) which makes it the highest rated current gen game of all-time.

Every other game that has a higher score (six in total) are from the N64 & GC days.

Fact is, no other game has a higher average score than TLoU for current generation and only four games in gaming history have a higher average score than the TLoU.

I know Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time are two of those games; the other two being Metroid Prime and Baldur's Gate 2.

But I really could give a rats ass about those games.
I enjoy modern games way more. They are far more enjoyable to play. When Tony Hawk received perfect scores 15 years ago or Metroid Prime it was relative to the standard during that time. It doesn't even hold a candle to a game like TLoU.

From a current generation (Ps3/Ps4) no game has received a higher average score (critic & gamer) than TLoU.

So yeah, I can back up my opinion on the matter.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #208
West-Side
Goat Loading
 
West-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak

The shooting mechanics sucked, the AI was flat out broken and they used some cheap gimmicks in areas to force you to play their way.

Good enjoyable game, solid 8/10 but it was far from perfect gameplay wise.

Some people complain about the story being clichéd too but i don't mind that because of how well they executed it.

Well it's your opinion.
Similar to how I wouldn't give Skyrim more than a 7/10 because I don't really enjoy RPG games.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #209
West-Side
Goat Loading
 
West-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,874
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai2death
Honestly i thought that was implied, It's not fair to rate games best of all time as technology and demographic change. Best games of generations though? Absolutely.

I agree; it's not fair to compare games like that.
I mean GoldenEye looks ridiculous when you compare it to a FPS today; however at that point in time it was the most played FPS on the market because it set a high standard relative to similar games on the market.

I do believe TLoU achieved that same prestige and I think it's arguably the best game of the last generation (PS3/X360) and one of the five best games of all-time.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #210
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,998
Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
But I really could give a rats ass about those games.

TL;DR

Disregarding all games pre-2010 seems to be pretty much the only way you can justify that opinion.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agency

NBA Summer Leagues

Utah Summer League

Sacramento Summer League

Vegas NBA Summer League

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy