Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Lets Talk-Death Penalty

As title.

Any anti capital punishments here? Would genuinely like to hear your thoughts.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Lets Talk-Death Penalty

The criminal should get done to them, what they did to others. I am also up for handing the accused to the victims family.

+you save tax money

Here's what I think,

I think the victims should not only be killed, but they should be killed in the most painful fashion possible. This serves not only as a punishment but even more so a deterrence to other potential criminals.This may sound cruel, but recently in taiwan, a mass killing happened in taipei where a random person started hacking people with knifes. He killed 4 with more than 20 injured. He did so because he wanted to make sure that he was sentenced to death; he wanted to die but he was afraid of commiting suicide...thus the killings.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    Here's what I think,

I think the victims should not only be killed, but they should be killed in the most painful fashion possible. This serves not only as a punishment but even more so a deterrence to other potential criminals.This may sound cruel, but recently in taiwan, a mass killing happened in taipei where a random person started hacking people with knifes. He killed 4 with more than 20 injured. He did so because he wanted to make sure that he was sentenced to death; he wanted to die but he was afraid of commiting suicide...thus the killings.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    No.
    so how are you going to punish the person in my post? death is a relief for him.
    everyone seems fine with whipping in singapore

NBA All-star

it's inhumane

but most likely they have also committed a crime that is inhumane to face such possible penalty

the biggest question comes down to whether or not they have the possibility to appeal, that they didn't commit the crime, or that the "intention" in which they committed the crime means that their inhumane action can be justified.

If not, I honestly don't see why we can't if every single possible action and route has been tried.

Especially those who openly admits that they committed the crime. And view it as a way to taunt others in order to instill fear into the society of mankind.

NBA All-star

so how are you going to punish the person in my post? death is a relief for him.
    everyone seems fine with whipping in singapore
    because granting someone their wish and prevent any further massecre is now the wrong thing to do.

because the publics job is in the competition of showing who's more inhumane, regardless of its impact and effect to the society.

because if whipping him bring "sick cruel" justice to the mind of the victims, then it is safe to say such event would happen again.

because countering negativity with negativity is what a great government do.

Banned

I dont like it. There is always a possibility that an innocent person is being sent to death. For those who are guilty, it is a easy way out.

Life is much better because for those who are innocent, there is a long time for them to try to get the decision reversed and to get justice for themselves.

For those who are guilty, life in prison followed by death is a better punishment than a short time in prison followed by death.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    I dont like it. There is always a possibility that an innocent person is being sent to death. For those who are guilty, it is a easy way out.

Life is much better because for those who are innocent, there is a long time for them to try to get the decision reversed and to get justice for themselves.

For those who are guilty, life in prison followed by death is a better punishment than a short time in prison followed by death.

If life in prison as a better punishment actually reduces the amount of people who commits murder/crime that deserves capital punishment/death penalty.

then yes, it IS a better punishment because it makes people think twice before they commit a crime.

And if not, what exactly do you mean by "better" punishment?

Decent playground baller Lonely_Sandberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    The criminal should get done to them, what they did to others. I am also up for handing the accused to the victims family.
    I bet you'd like to rape some dudes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    If life in prison as a better punishment actually reduces the amount of people who commits murder/crime that deserves capital punishment/death penalty.

then yes, it IS a better punishment because it makes people think twice before they commit a crime.

And if not, what exactly do you mean by "better" punishment?
    Well the death penalty is essentially a easy way out. Die in a very non-painful fashion and thats that. Life in prison (until you die, not 25 years), is the same since you will die in prison anyway (and more likely in a more painful way then by state execution). Its essentially the death penalty + decades of imprisonment. I dont see how the death penalty is a "worse" punishment.

Then again some guys like prison and they have communities there, so they may prefer life in prison to being sentenced to death, so that may be an issue.

NBA Superstar

As title.

Any anti capital punishments here? Would genuinely like to hear your thoughts.
    I am. It costs way more money than incarcerating someone for life, and since DNA testing has been introduced it has proven a lot of people to be innocent who were previously on death row.

Two HUGE inexcusable flaws in the current system, and anyone who supports it so they can spout off some right wing bullshit or act like some eye for an eye tough guy is a first rate rube.

Until they have a more cost effective way and accurate way to condemn people to death the judges should be held personally accountable for the well being of anyone they wrongfully condemn to death (ie charged with murder) that would make far fewer death sentences and much more accurate ones.

Plain and simp the systems a pimp, and I refuse to be a ho.

No, because:

1. Mistakes cannot be rectified, and there will always be mistakes.
    2. I do not think the state should have the right and power to kill its citizens, no matter what they do, and i do not trust the state with such a power.

Though i deplore the current focus on rehabilitation with people who have committed acts so heinous that one should have no interest in their rehabilitation, and only in their permanent separation and isolation from the rest of society.

The best reason i can think of to justify the death penalty is that it provides a kind of cathartic release for society in that it has revenged itself on someone who so thoroughly cheated it. Human beings have always revelled in this kind of collective revenge.