Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default The best online free vertical jump program?

I am looking for the best free online vert program available. It would be appriciated if someone would tell me. I am 14, 5'9" and about 5 inches away from the rim.

Thanks

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: The best online free vertical jump program?

I had really good gains with Christian Thibaudeau's Get Stronger, Get Faster, Get vertical. Look it up on t-nation.com.

Has anyone heard of the vert program "Kangaroo Hops." I tried it for the past two days and I gained about 2 inches. I just want to see if there is any better programs out there. I am sure there is. Just wondering.....

Lets GO PENS!

Quote Originally Posted by B-Baller14
    Has anyone heard of the vert program "Kangaroo Hops." I tried it for the past two days and I gained about 2 inches. I just want to see if there is any better programs out there. I am sure there is. Just wondering.....
    2 inches in 2 days !?!?! Thats amazing.

Learning to shoot layups

I just took a look at the program and it seems like a lot of volume and could lead to imbalances. It is not something I would recommend doing. If you just play basketball and do all the jumping that happens in a regular game, you should gain some. That being said, you did get 2 inches in 2 days, which is nuts. I would rather have you do something else though. It is up to you . What are your stats right now?

Quote Originally Posted by djsmkb8
    I just took a look at the program and it seems like a lot of volume and could lead to imbalances. It is not something I would recommend doing. If you just play basketball and do all the jumping that happens in a regular game, you should gain some. That being said, you did get 2 inches in 2 days, which is nuts. I would rather have you do something else though. It is up to you . What are your stats right now?

I averaged 27 points a game in Middle school and 21 on a different team. I also averaged 14 reb for middle school. My season high in middle school was 36.

Learning to shoot layups

I averaged 27 points a game in Middle school and 21 on a different team. I also averaged 14 reb for middle school. My season high in middle school was 36.
    Nice. You're obviously very talented. Keep it up. But by stats, I meant physical stats. You put it in your first post, but how about vertical jump? Running jump?
    Just set it up like:
    Weight:
    Standing reach:
    Standing Vertical/Running vertical:
    You probably don't lift yet, but with your natural ability, adding weight lifting in a year or 2 will help out tremendously. If you're only in middle school, stick to body weight stuff, or if you really feel like you need to hit the weights, only use up to 30% of your body weight. It can be debated how much a young man can push himself in the weight room, but for basketball players, I feel at a young age its more important to work on the game itself, and wait until around 15 or so to seriously hit the weights. For now, just keep on working on touching the rim. It may happen slowly, but you'll get there. Think if it like this, if you keep on jumping for the rim, you might get 1/4'' on your vert a week. Thats 1 inch a month, that's 12 inches in a year. That's a tremendous gain. It probably wont happen in a linear fashion like that, but it works. Let's say your standing reach is up to 7'6''. If you're 5 inches away from the rim, then your running jump is 25''. That's already good for a 14 year old. Just keep on jumping and the gains will come. I'd suggest you just do a lot of reading on the subject so when your body is mature enough, you can really ramp up the training and get crazy gains. Good luck and keep up the hard work.

Sorry about the wrong stats.

Height:5'9"
    Weight:156.5
    Standing reach:7'5"
    Standing vert:22"
    Running vert:26"

I actually lift. I have been lifting for maybe 7 or 8 months. It has paid off so far in the strength department.

Learning to shoot layups

Sorry about the wrong stats.

Height:5'9"
    Weight:156.5
    Standing reach:7'5"
    Standing vert:22"
    Running vert:26"

I actually lift. I have been lifting for maybe 7 or 8 months. It has paid off so far in the strength department.
    What does your lifting program look like?
    And what are your stats on your lifts?

I don't really have a lifting program. I just work different parts of my body with about 3 set of 10 to 15. I max out at 150 at bench press. I can leg press over 200.

Learning to shoot layups

Well since you're still young, staying in the rep range should be fine. Eventually, you'll want to move to a 5x5 type routine. Then from there, working up to doing 3 rep and 1 rep maxes once a week. Always remember, you're an athlete, not a bodybuilder. That's two different types of training. Bodybuilders do higher reps to get size. Athletes stay around lower reps to gain strength. I put this on another thread but here are the basics to jumping higher according to Kelly Baggett, who is a very reputable trainer. These are paraphrased.

1. Get strong. Unless you're a genetic freak/fast twitch machine, you need to get strong to jump high. Do squat and deadlift variations. The more force you can put into the ground, the more potential for jumping high.

2. Get explosive. Once you're strong, teach your body to use as much of that strength as possible in a short amount of time. Speed squats/deadlifts, olympic lifts, jumps from a stand still, etc etc.

3. Get reactive. Also known as plyometric. Depth jumps, depth drops, sprinting, and anything where you have to react to the ground. Try to keep ground contact as short as possible.

Don't push your body too hard unless you feel like you're really up to it. I would rather have you continue to work on basketball skills right now and maintain strength. Work on your shot, footwork, changing speed, etc etc.

What vert program (that is free) would you suggest? I have heard that AA3 hurts your knees. You wouldn't want someone to do kangaroo hops. Any other program?

Thanks for replying back all the time.....

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

I do not think you will find a quality, in depth program written by someone reputable that is free.

However, if you know what you are looking for, you will be able to find articles and information from said authors and piece things together.

I think most names have been mentioned, Baggett, Mike Boyle, Don Chu, Brian Grasso, Mark Verstegen, Jeremy Boone, among others are names you should look for. These guys will give good solid info especially for younger athletes.

I agree with what djs says above you...except for maybe the maxing out thing. Maxing out is an injury waiting to happen for inexperienced ones. That is not a coverall bases statement there, but my opinion as a short term solution to the discussion.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    I do not think you will find a quality, in depth program written by someone reputable that is free.

However, if you know what you are looking for, you will be able to find articles and information from said authors and piece things together.

I think most names have been mentioned, Baggett, Mike Boyle, Don Chu, Brian Grasso, Mark Verstegen, Jeremy Boone, among others are names you should look for. These guys will give good solid info especially for younger athletes.

I agree with what djs says above you...except for maybe the maxing out thing. Maxing out is an injury waiting to happen for inexperienced ones. That is not a coverall bases statement there, but my opinion as a short term solution to the discussion.
    Yeah. People at your age who max out are the exception rather then the rule. A simple, quality program that is free is Kelly Baggett's Ultimate Split. Go on higher-faster-sports.com. There is a lot of variety there too.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djsmkb8
    Yeah. People at your age who max out are the exception rather then the rule. A simple, quality program that is free is Kelly Baggett's Ultimate Split. Go on higher-faster-sports.com. There is a lot of variety there too.

Definately, ultimately want to look at why maxing out is done, usually for progress and for guidance on where to progress for the next cycle. For the "inexperienced" putting too much weight on the bar can be a problem. Better off to use a 5RM or 8RM and calculate from there. Also, those 5 and 8RM can give you a good idea of progress thus far.