Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Default Could Conference-jumping destroy the BCS?

Syracuse and Pittsburgh are abandoning the Big East. The "Big 12" can't count. Shouldn't such changes force the BCS to evaluate it's own validity? At the very least the Big East should not have an automatic bid. If a school in a "major" conference decides that said conference isn't worth staying in shouldn't the quality of that conference be questioned?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz | Utes | Raiders

Default Re: Could Conference-jumping destroy the BCS?

I honestly think the Mountain West Conference deserves to get a bid if the Big East doesn't find a valid replacement. Hell the Mountain West is almost as good as the Big East as is.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Forget the BCS. I hope it destroys the NCAA as a whole.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
I honestly think the Mountain West Conference deserves to get a bid if the Big East doesn't find a valid replacement. Hell the Mountain West is almost as good as the Big East as is.
The Big East is already getting TCU next year, which is a very nice addition.

They should go after Boise State, as well.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The Big East is already getting TCU next year, which is a very nice addition.

They should go after Boise State, as well.
At this rate the BE won't exist as a football conference by next year. It's a $5 mil fee (which is relative peanuts) to jump ship. The writing's on the wall for 4 major superconferences for football. UConn's in about every rumored big conference scenario, specifically the B10, Rutgers would JUMP at the chance to go B10, WVU wants to go SEC/ACC. If the BE doesn't get Notre Dame and somehow a HUGE get like a Texas they're kaput for football.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
At this rate the BE won't exist as a football conference by next year. It's a $5 mil fee (which is relative peanuts) to jump ship. The writing's on the wall for 4 major superconferences for football. UConn's in about every rumored big conference scenario, specifically the B10, Rutgers would JUMP at the chance to go B10, WVU wants to go SEC/ACC. If the BE doesn't get Notre Dame and somehow a HUGE get like a Texas they're kaput for football.
We'll see. Personally, I don't see losing Pitt and Syracuse while adding TCU as a huge step backwards. Sure, they need to add another school and hold on to their current members, but we'll see if this is really the end of the Big East or just a transformation of a conference.

Rutgers might jump at the chance to go to the Big Ten, but that ain't happening (the Big Ten won't have them). Lots of rumors swirling around, but the future of these conferences is very much clouded.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz | Utes | Raiders

There's a few decent additions, but they are not necessarily good in college football, Memphis would be a good addition, Temple would be a good team to bring back (exactly that though, why would they go back to a conference that kicked them out?), maybe Marshall.

I just really hope the Big 12 stays together, I do not want to see Utah playing Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas. I just don't see the connection to form any part of a "rivalry" or anything. I hate all these changes because it's terrible to me for a fans perspective.

I think that the Big 10 would rather get Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, etc. then go after some Big East schools though if the Big 12 were to fall.

Last edited by UtahJazzFan88 : 09-18-2011 at 06:17 AM.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

The thing with the B10 is the tradition of the conference, public land grant AAU research institutions that bring more than sports. Obviously Northwestern's private, but they're on par or significantly better than a few other conference schools like Purdue and Michigan that're sorta fringe "public Ivy's." Of course, like a week after Nebraska became an official member they lost their AAU status.

I have absolutely no doubt if the superconference thing becomes a reality that Notre Dame becomes a full B1G member, but it's not so simple for a lot of other schools. Mizzou fits, they're a solid academic school that'd fit with the bottom tier of the conference, but they bring absolutely no cachet and adding Nebraska took care of that media market.

As much flak as people give the B1G, for a lot of legitimate reasons, it's pretty easily the most stable and forward thinking conference while staying true to their own traditions. There's maybe 4 schools in the entire country that'd say no to the Big Ten.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: