Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Put a Prime Thurmond, Walton, Moses, McAdoo, and Gilmore in Today's NBA...

We always read topics about transporting Wilt, Russell, and Kareem into the current NBA, but how about these guys, and in their primes?

Moses is the most intriguing...he was 6-10, at about 245 in his prime, was not particularly athletic, and had limited range...and yet was putting up 30-15 seasons at his peak.

McAdoo was blowing the NBA away in the mid-70's.

We only saw glimpses of what a healthy Walton could do, but he was brilliant in 76-77 and 77-78 (before he was injured.)

And Gilmore was 7-2, probably peaked at 290, was arguably the second strongest man who ever played in the NBA, and who put up some unfathomable FG% seasons later in his career.

Thurmond was a full 6-11, and supposedly had a higher standing reach than Wilt. His man-to-man defense against both Wilt and Kareem was the best ever against either. And he was outplaying Reed, Bellamy, and Russell in the 60's. Not only that, but he had huge games against 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier in the early 70's.

Banned

Default Re: Put a Prime Thurmond, Walton, Moses, McAdoo, and Gilmore in Today's NBA...

Did not read. They might be double double players, but just barely. The 60's are a weak ass era, y'know.

Default Re: Put a Prime Thurmond, Walton, Moses, McAdoo, and Gilmore in Today's NBA...

Quote Originally Posted by Railgun
    Did not read. They might be double double players, but just barely. The 60's are a weak ass era, y'know.
    I understand. That post was too long for someone like you...

but thanks for taking the time to comment on it, anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    I understand. That post was too long for someone like you...

but thanks for taking the time to comment on it, anyway.
    yw.
    this thread might get to 2 pages but it's still unlikely (no one cares about 60's players). i'll post here again to help u out

Quote Originally Posted by Railgun
    yw.
    this thread might get to 2 pages but it's still unlikely (no one cares about 60's players). i'll post here again to help u out
    Don't bother.

BTW, Moses. Gilmore, Walton, and McAdoo were still playing in the 80's. Moses was DOMINATING them.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

sympathy bump

I think you're a very knowledgeable poster who brings something other than LeBron/Kobe iz da bess lololol1!!1 but not many posters on here, me included, know much about the players in your hypothetical. The average age of ISH is about 20 and the average IQ seems to be lower than that.

Add some videos if you have any. That would definitely help.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

I'll go with a very bold prediction and say that HOF players in their prime will probably play like HOF players in their prime.

Amazing thread, Jlauber has come a long way since believing that past players are inferior

Do wonder what Bill Walton would put up in this league. If Noah has a triple double once a month, Walton could average one. Arguably the most skilled, and best passing big man ever. Period.

We always read topics about transporting Wilt, Russell, and Kareem into the current NBA, but how about these guys, and in their primes?

Moses is the most intriguing...he was 6-10, at about 245 in his prime, was not particularly athletic, and had limited range...and yet was putting up 30-15 seasons at his peak.

McAdoo was blowing the NBA away in the mid-70's.

We only saw glimpses of what a healthy Walton could do, but he was brilliant in 76-77 and 77-78 (before he was injured.)

And Gilmore was 7-2, probably peaked at 290, was arguably the second strongest man who ever played in the NBA, and who put up some unfathomable FG% seasons later in his career.

Thurmond was a full 6-11, and supposedly had a higher standing reach than Wilt. His man-to-man defense against both Wilt and Kareem was the best ever against either. And he was outplaying Reed, Bellamy, and Russell in the 60's. Not only that, but he had huge games against 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier in the early 70's.
    Are you sure? I thought that Wilt was the 2nd strongest after Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    I think you're a very knowledgeable poster who brings something other than LeBron/Kobe iz da bess lololol1!!1 but not many posters on here, me included, know much about the players in your hypothetical. The average age of ISH is about 20 and the average IQ seems to be lower than that.

Add some videos if you have any. That would definitely help.
    There is some quality YouTube footage on nearly all of them, although Thurmond's is very limited.

Still, when you consider that Moses routinely bombed a near-prime Kareem, ...and a KAJ, at 38 and 39, who was just slaughtering Hakeem in the mid-to-late 80's (as well as Ewing), what does that say about Moses?

Or that a prime KAJ faced an aging Thurmond in nearly 40 H2H games from '69 thru Nate's last quality season of '72-73, and could only shoot .447 against him, and with a high game of only 34 points...what does that say about Nate's defense?

McAdoo also routinely outscored KAJ (he also had the highest know game against him, of 45 points), and was arguably the best player in the game in the mid-70's...so what does that tell us about his offense? BTW, he averaged 34.5 ppg in his 74-75 season, in an NBA that averaged 102.6 ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Are you sure? I thought that Wilt was the 2nd strongest after Shaq.
    Shaq wasn't even the strongest in his own era.

Hell, Barkley was stronger...

Now I know why you actually believe that Wilt wasn't a choker. You're just an idiot.

Actual proof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2-x-0lAQo

BTW, does anyone in their right mind honestly believe Shaq ever benched over 400 lbs? The man couldn't budge that weight...

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

What's up Laz, slow day at the retirement home? Are you banned from playing bingo because no one wants to hear crap about mountain lions anymore?