Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default "Peace not Piece"; My day working a Celtics Event with almost no Celebrities.

Warning: You probably won't care, so please don't tell me that you don't care. This topic isn't about the C's team and really is only Celtic-related because it includes my brief meeting with Lucky.

As probably none of you know, my primary occupation is that of a stagehand; I create props for events, threaten to hit pedestrians with oversized vehicles, set up various props on event sites at ridiculously early hours and then break them down with the help of a crew of ghouls I suspect are secretly vampires. Yesterday we worked from 9AM 'til the only open restaurants were all in Chinatown at the Reggie Lewis Center (for those that don't know, that's in Roxbury Community College) on a pseudo-Public Service event (I still got paid) called "Peace not Piece." It was a surprisingly entertaining event focused on encouraging non-violent hip-hop and stopping the saddeningly high rates of violence in Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, etc. It featured a "hip hop contest" where a bunch of high school students demonstrated their skills (or spirited lack thereof) with peace-promoting songs of their own creation. The contest winner, Genesis, was actually as good as a number of popular rap artists, and if/when he releases an album I plan on buying it. There were also some local "conscious" artists (I don't care for that particular label...I may expound on that later). The highlighters were 4Peace, who I had to restrain my initial desire to boo (one of their members, Edo G, used to be part of Made Men, and I'm sure most of you can recall who the rumors pointed at in the Pierce stabbing). The "Celebrity judges" were two people whose names I already forgot and Lucky, the Celtics team mascot (if you didn't already know). He's an ok guy, possibly partially because as a mascot he's got no reason to act like some kind of big time celebrity, and it was also easier to deal with him because I didn't have the kind of nervousness I might have felt if I was meeting someone like Ray Allen. Apparently NBA team Mascots get together on each other's birthdays as well as an official mascot day. Made me wonder if on the mascot get-togethers the Suns or Knicks' gorilla still wore that suit...I didn't ask him that, though. Lucky himself did not wear the full Leprechaun digs at the event, settling instead for a jumpsuit and just the top-hat. He actually wears a headband beneath the hat, I'm guessing to keep from sweating up the famous piece of haberdashery. And lastly, he appears to be completely incapable of saying anything even remotely negative to a teenage rap artist, even when their terrible...I guess it's bad to be mean to kids at a charity event, but it could have been kind of fun...anyway, there was a rumor that Dana Barros also was supposed to show, but I didn't see him and he wasn't on the program.

Pebbles of 94.5 was also there. That's all I remember that I feel like repeating. The end.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Default Re: "Peace not Piece"; My day working a Celtics Event with almost no Celebrities.

That's pretty awesome, I never met Lucky (I've met GG/KG/Pierce), but he seems like a way overly optimistic character and the way you described him at the kids events reminds me of Steve of Blue's Clues ( ). Dana is the man also I've heard, he's very easy to talk to (or so I've heard).

Lastly, that's one DAMN long paragraph :).
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Default Re: "Peace not Piece"; My day working a Celtics Event with almost no Celebrities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Warning: You probably won't care, so please don't tell me that you don't care. This topic isn't about the C's team and really is only Celtic-related because it includes my brief meeting with Lucky.

As probably none of you know, my primary occupation is that of a stagehand; I create props for events, threaten to hit pedestrians with oversized vehicles, set up various props on event sites at ridiculously early hours and then break them down with the help of a crew of ghouls I suspect are secretly vampires. Yesterday we worked from 9AM 'til the only open restaurants were all in Chinatown at the Reggie Lewis Center (for those that don't know, that's in Roxbury Community College) on a pseudo-Public Service event (I still got paid) called "Peace not Piece." It was a surprisingly entertaining event focused on encouraging non-violent hip-hop and stopping the saddeningly high rates of violence in Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, etc. It featured a "hip hop contest" where a bunch of high school students demonstrated their skills (or spirited lack thereof) with peace-promoting songs of their own creation. The contest winner, Genesis, was actually as good as a number of popular rap artists, and if/when he releases an album I plan on buying it. There were also some local "conscious" artists (I don't care for that particular label...I may expound on that later). The highlighters were 4Peace, who I had to restrain my initial desire to boo (one of their members, Edo G, used to be part of Made Men, and I'm sure most of you can recall who the rumors pointed at in the Pierce stabbing). The "Celebrity judges" were two people whose names I already forgot and Lucky, the Celtics team mascot (if you didn't already know). He's an ok guy, possibly partially because as a mascot he's got no reason to act like some kind of big time celebrity, and it was also easier to deal with him because I didn't have the kind of nervousness I might have felt if I was meeting someone like Ray Allen. Apparently NBA team Mascots get together on each other's birthdays as well as an official mascot day. Made me wonder if on the mascot get-togethers the Suns or Knicks' gorilla still wore that suit...I didn't ask him that, though. Lucky himself did not wear the full Leprechaun digs at the event, settling instead for a jumpsuit and just the top-hat. He actually wears a headband beneath the hat, I'm guessing to keep from sweating up the famous piece of haberdashery. And lastly, he appears to be completely incapable of saying anything even remotely negative to a teenage rap artist, even when their terrible...I guess it's bad to be mean to kids at a charity event, but it could have been kind of fun...anyway, there was a rumor that Dana Barros also was supposed to show, but I didn't see him and he wasn't on the program.

Pebbles of 94.5 was also there. That's all I remember that I feel like repeating. The end.

I miss Baltazar.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: