Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Off season moves

What's up guys?
    Haven't been in for a while, thought I'd stir the pot a little.

These are 2 realistic options I see for this offseason, and beyond.
    Love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

1. Fire MDA. Offer Phil an ownership stake to return for 2 years as coach, then allow him to handpick his successor, and PJ moves into a front office role. Now that Brown has signed, this is realistic. Also, for those who say the Buss family would never give up an ownership stake, I say this. 98% of the franchise value with PJ as a part owner is much greater than 100% of the value with PJ part owner of a competing franchise.

2. Sign Dwight (max) and Clark along the lines of the deal Hill got. 2 years 7 mil.

3.Trade Pau Gasol to Indiana for Granger, Hansborough, Green and a first rounder.

Indiana- Makes sense for them. Granger missed the whole year and they have Paul George. Hansborough and Green and marginal role players for them. A Gasol/Hibbert front line (possibly with West back as well), gives them one of the best front courts in the NBA. They need an inside scorer to compete with the Heat. Their first rounder is late and not that valuable to them. Their core is George, Hill and Hibbert, which remains intact.

Lakers- Granger gives us a much quicker 3, which we desperately need. We can amnesty MWP (I love his heart, but he is a liability out there. He is too slow and flat footed to play the 3). Hansborough can split time at the 4 with Clark and Hill. Green would be a valuable bench scorer, and may need to start until Kobe returns. This deal would make a lot of financial sense as well, as it maintains cap space for 2014 and 2015. (Granger and Hansbourough have expiring deals.)

4. Sign Chase Budinger with the MMLE

5. Draft Michael Carter Williams with the pick (may need to find a way to move up, as he is projected 10-20.) I see him as an excellent potential triangle PG, and he could tutor under Nash, Kobe and Phil.

2013-2014 team
    1. Nash, Blake Carter/Williams
    2. Kobe, Green, Meeks
    3. Granger, Budinger
    4. Clark, Hansborough
    5. Dwight, Hill

2014 offseason- Cap Space- Resign Granger (or sign Ariza for MLE money), resign Hill. I believe Kobe will return and I do not see Bron leaving the heat.

2015 offseason- Cap Space galore as Nash expires. Sign Kevin Love
    2015 Lakers:

1. Carter/Williams
    2. Kobe, Green or another good player should Kobe hang em up.
    3. Granger or Ariza, Budinger
    4. KLove, Clark
    5. Dwight, Hill

My second Option would be to trade Gasol to Washington for Okafor, Ariza and a first rounder, and draft Carter/Williams.
    This would give the Wiz a Nene/Gasol front court, to go with Wall, Beale and Webster. Pretty nice starting unit. Probably a playoff team in the East. It would also save them about 3 mil (and they are already over the cap for next season).

For the Lakers, we get Ariza, the 3 we need. Okafor would back up Dwight and his deal expires.
    Same long term plan as above.

I see Love as the target, in 2015. He will definitely leave Minny, and he would definitely come here if we can offer him a max. And he'd fit so nicely next to Dwight, a dream FC. KLove was born to be a Laker.

Default Re: Off season moves

Robster89 you are on the money, I agree with everything except Metta, he will be an expirer so he has trade value, it would really be dumb to amnesty him and still have to pay every penny when we could trade him and be 100% free of any liability.......YES there will be teams who want him.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Trade pau for some young bucks

Trade nash for k lowry.. He will b cash cow for raps....

Trade mwp for anything...

Dump blake for 1/2rounder if any

Cut ebanks/sacre....

Oh most important part....fire the coach on Monday morning now that mike brown has a job & this loser will get a job somewhere so we dont have to pay his salary...

Phil aint coming back.... Get a coach who brings the most out of his guys...

Jvg...or some new guy....no other name comes to my mind...

I personally dont like sloan or nate mcmilan...

They wont bring back shaw...

Also i m not so sure about building around howard... Dude just has no post moves

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    Trade pau for some young bucks

Trade nash for k lowry.. He will b cash cow for raps....

Trade mwp for anything...

Dump blake for 1/2rounder if any

Cut ebanks/sacre....

Oh most important part....fire the coach on Monday morning now that mike brown has a job & this loser will get a job somewhere so we dont have to pay his salary...

Phil aint coming back.... Get a coach who brings the most out of his guys...

Jvg...or some new guy....no other name comes to my mind...

I personally dont like sloan or nate mcmilan...

They wont bring back shaw...

Also i m not so sure about building around howard... Dude just has no post moves
    Oh please let them fire 'Antoni immediately!!!!!!
    It would be like Christmas for me.....it does scare me that they actually interviewed Dunleavy before hiring 'Antoni......so we may get another bad coach.......Jimmy is a @#%$%^.

Why do you think we could get anything or Nash? Toronto is not that desperate for marketing gimmicks.

Yeah, time for Metta to go.....maybe the ex Laker stealing Clippers will want him....lol.

Looks like McMillan is going to Detroit......at this point I would take him, he's not a fav of mine. What do you have against Sloan?

Yeah, no Shaw please, nice guy, but NO.....same or worse with Rambis.

Howard does have post moves now but has a coach who HATES the post game.....so what would you expect? We have to keep Dwight.

I rule the local playground

if they get a new coach please make it 1 year guaranteed 3 years options. more so if its bone head option again.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Oh please let them fire 'Antoni immediately!!!!!!
    It would be like Christmas for me.....it does scare me that they actually interviewed Dunleavy before hiring 'Antoni......so we may get another bad coach.......Jimmy is a @#%$%^.

Why do you think we could get anything or Nash? Toronto is not that desperate for marketing gimmicks.

Yeah, time for Metta to go.....maybe the ex Laker stealing Clippers will want him....lol.

Looks like McMillan is going to Detroit......at this point I would take him, he's not a fav of mine. What do you have against Sloan?

Yeah, no Shaw please, nice guy, but NO.....same or worse with Rambis.

Howard does have post moves now but has a coach who HATES the post game.....so what would you expect? We have to keep Dwight.
    My fear is idiot jim buss would hire another stupid coach after letting this 1 go

Buy i think with jerry on last breath they wanted to appease him with showtime...so the mike d hire...

Raps r desperate for both marketing & to get in playoffs... When was the last time they were in and did anything meaningful? They were desperate to sign nash last yr and will be ok to get him this yr ... Thats what i m thinking..

Adelmam if he wants to coach again...

But 1 thing set in stone is .... Pau will go... To save major $$$

Blake with his recent might fetch the lakers cap relief + draft pick... He will be in his last yr too...

Local High School Star

i hope for another big win for the spurs and a sweep, because this Lakers cant win. And another blow out will help the managment to make big changes.

My hopes:
    1. dont sign DH. he isnt in the class of KAJ, Magic, Shaq and Kobe. In LA you need in all and he isnt a great player on O. he isnt the answer when Kobe retires.
    2. trade MWP
    3. trade Pau
    4. keep Hill, Clark, Ebanks, and Goudelock and give them some playing time
    5. get faster from 1-3 and bring in one scoring big who doesnt hurt you on D as much as Pau

Robster89 you are on the money, I agree with everything except Metta, he will be an expirer so he has trade value, it would really be dumb to amnesty him and still have to pay every penny when we could trade him and be 100% free of any liability.......YES there will be teams who want him.
    How are you doing DK?
    I think you're probably right on the Metta deal. If you are going to pay him, you may as well get something from him, and he still has talent. I just think we need to move on to a younger, quicker and more athletic SF. But Metta could be useful off the bench. I think he could give us minutes at both SF and PF. His best games this year came at the 4, and if we trade Pau we will be a little thin there. And never a bad thing to have him come off the bench and get physical with the likes of Bron, KD etc.

I know we are on the same page on MDA. Please fire him!

Saw these as 2 separate rumors, but this would actually work as a 3 team trade:

Lakers send Nash to Indiana for Granger
    Lakers send Gasol to Boston for Rondo.

Indiana wants to move Granger. He makes 14 mil and is now 30, and George is their SF for the future. Nash gives them a PG, allowing them to move Hill to the 2, though Hill would still get a lot of PT at the 1 too.
    I don't think they will get many good offers for Granger, and Nash would certainly contribute there.

Boston moves Rondo and his tude issues, and get a big who can score. It would mean 1 more year with the old guard, but allow them to keep Pierce next season, avoiding a potentially harmful PR move should they let him walk. Then, Pierce, KG and Gasol all come off the books next season, so they would have like 40 mil in cap space next offseason. Again, an excellent PR move. Bradley has certainly proves he can play, making Rondo movable.

We would get a young PG who can defend (imagine that).
    Granger gives us a younger and more athletic 3. It seems like PG and SF have been a weakness for soooooo long for us.
    Starting 5
    PG- Rondo, Blake
    SG- Kobe, Meeks
    SF- Granger, MWP
    PF- Clark, Hill, MWP
    C- Dwight, Hill

It would still put us in a good position cap wise in 2014 and 2015.
    I think Love is a legit target for us in 2015.

2015 Lakers
    PG- Rondo, Hinrich (you know I've always loved him as a role player for us)
    SG- Kobe (back on an MLE), solid reserve/draft pick
    SF- Granger or Ariza at MLE money, Budinger
    PF- Love, Clark
    C- Dwight, Hill

Coached by PJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
    if they get a new coach please make it 1 year guaranteed 3 years options. more so if its bone head option again.

Hey Robster89, I'm doing great thank you.
    Man, you are bringing your "A" game to this thread, extremely solid stuff You should post more often!!!

I think we should kick out Jimmy Buss and let you run this thing.
    I would be very happy with the changes you mentioned. Granger has always been a fav of mine, I actually wanted the Lakers to draft him instead of Bynum.

Don't forget, we got the Mini-Mamba back in the fold.......I have always liked his game and took tons of heat that he didn't belong in the NBA. I think he has proved me right by winning D-League MVP and then scoring 20 against the Spurs, he'll be solid of the bench going forward next year.

We need to get more shooters!!!

All this talk is tough because everything depends on who is coaching and what style of game they want. If we still have 'Antoni we may as well bring back Smush Parker and Kwame for the bad results we'd get anyway

Hey Robster89, I'm doing great thank you.
    Man, you are bringing your "A" game to this thread, extremely solid stuff You should post more often!!!

I think we should kick out Jimmy Buss and let you run this thing.
    I would be very happy with the changes you mentioned. Granger has always been a fav of mine, I actually wanted the Lakers to draft him instead of Bynum.

Don't forget, we got the Mini-Mamba back in the fold.......I have always liked his game and took tons of heat that he didn't belong in the NBA. I think he has proved me right by winning D-League MVP and then scoring 20 against the Spurs, he'll be solid of the bench going forward next year.

We need to get more shooters!!!

All this talk is tough because everything depends on who is coaching and what style of game they want. If we still have 'Antoni we may as well bring back Smush Parker and Kwame for the bad results we'd get anyway

Thanks brother, I appreciate that. My knowledge pales compared to yours though.

I know these trade discussions are highly unlikely to happen, but if you watched the Hawks/Pacer game today, Indiana's main flaw was really exposed: They lack a PG who can set up easy baskets for his teammates. Hill is not a true PG. Great player, and he will certainly get a lot of PT at the 1, but he is best utilized as a scorer. Acquiring Nash would actually make some sense for them. They could start Nash at PG and Hill at the 2, then move Hill over to point and bring in Stevenson at the 2 for defense. With a shot blocker like Hibbert in the paint the could get away with it on a limited basis.

I've always liked Granger too. With his injury, his value is very low, so who knows, maybe they'd do it. Then Pau for Rondo. Huge difference defensively for us. Nash and MWP are so slow, it's like their feet are nailed to the floor. Imagine defenders like Rondo, Kobe and Granger on the perimeter, with shot blockers like Dwight and Clark in the paint. We would be long, athletic and very fast. Big change from our team now. And it would still preserve the cap space plan.

Here's hoping!

i agree but they need some athletes running wild on the floor...who can defend...and hit open J's

some upcoming players....

NBA sixth man of the year

I think one of two things will happen. Howard is going to walk or Gasol is going to be traded. Here's my take on both scenarios:

1) If Howard walks,

a) Retain Gasol (really the best post big man in the game still, offensively)
    b) Resign Clark to a similar deal the Jordan Hill currently has as OP stated, he deserves it. He should get the starter PF role on this team.
    c) Trade Metta World Peace or hopefully he opts out of his contract. Waive Jodie Meeks
    d) Don't resign Morris, Sacre or Johnson-odom
    e) Resign Goudelock, Ebanks and Antawn Jamison
    f) Trade Meeks and Duhon to Golden State for Brandon Rush
    g) Sign Trevor Ariza using mini MLE, Elton Brand and Chris Douglas Roberts with vet mins

PG: Nash | Blake | Goudelock
    SG: Bryant | Goudelock | CDR
    SF: Ariza | Rush | CDR
    PF: Clark | Jamison | Brand
    C: Gasol | Hill | Brand

2) If Howard doesn't walk,

a) Trade Gasol to the Celtics for KG and Courtney Lee and fill out the roster the way I described in option 1)

SG: Bryant | Lee | Goudelock
    SF: Clark | Rush or Ariza | CDR
    PF: KG | Jamison | Brand
    C: Howard | Hill | Brand

Personally I prefer option 2) as this probably the best defensive lineup in the game even with Nash, but I have a hard time seeing Boston making this trade. They would save 24 mill though and become a lottery team. Kobe is going to have to recruit KG real hard.

Oh and I forgot, if Kobe's not good to go by December, there's always option 3) just tank as hard as possible for Wiggins 2014
    Last edited by BallsOut; 04-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    I think one of two things will happen. Howard is going to walk or Gasol is going to be traded. Here's my take on both scenarios:

1) If Howard walks,

a) Retain Gasol (really the best post big man in the game still, offensively)
    b) Resign Clark to a similar deal the Jordan Hill currently has as OP stated, he deserves it. He should get the starter PF role on this team.
    c) Trade Metta World Peace or hopefully he opts out of his contract. Waive Jodie Meeks
    d) Don't resign Morris, Sacre or Johnson-odom
    e) Resign Goudelock, Ebanks and Antawn Jamison
    g) Sign Trevor Ariza using mini MLE, Elton Brand and Chris Douglas Roberts with vet mins

SG: Bryant | Goudelock | CDR
    SF: Ariza | Rush | CDR
    PF: Clark | Jamison | Brand
    C: Gasol | Hill | Brand

2) If Howard doesn't walk,

a) Trade Gasol to the Celtics for KG and Courtney Lee and fill out the roster the way I described in option 1)

SG: Bryant | Lee | Goudelock
    SF: Clark | Rush or Ariza | CDR
    PF: KG | Jamison | Brand
    C: Howard | Hill | Brand

Personally I prefer option 2) as this probably the best defensive lineup in the game even with Nash, but I have a hard time seeing Boston making this trade. They would save 24 mill though and become a lottery team. Kobe is going to have to recruit KG real hard.

Oh and I forgot, if Kobe's not good to go by December, there's always option 3) just tank as hard as possible for Wiggins 2014
    1st KG is retiring after this season....

2nd ebanks didnt play when the lakers have only 8 players today...why do you want to sign him back is beyond me

3rd GSW is just not going to give you B Rush for the crap you mentioned above...

4th Ariza is not opting out of that contract to sign for mini mle...he will get paid min 7mil next year....

5th bran is trash and old...1 thing i learn from this yr is sign young guys..not pathetic 40yr old pg's

6th forget about CDR...dont know the infatuation with this guy...was picked up this yr after we dropped him...and then dropped...so he is nothing special

7th....courtney lee is ok....avg player nothing to trade him for...
    8th they have invested in morris...keep him instead try to trade blake

Balls Out, Meeks is a team option player, if we don't want him we can just walk away.......that being said, it would be a very dumb thing to do since we only have to pay him 1.5 million next season. I would think you agree he's worth that small amount.

I'm huge on getting a new coach, I am not huge on just dumping Pau for nothing....KG and Courtney Lee...
    KG will turn 38 during the playoffs next year = Likely injury season = Malone = Nash. Haven't we learned anything?????
    Courtney Lee has 3 seasons left on his contract at $5.5 million per = no thanks.

Truth be told an intelligent coach would kill the league with 2 bigs like Pau and Dwight....they would be unstoppable if used properly.
    Lets see if dumb@ss Buss fires and gets an intelligent coach before thinking moves.

Don't resign Morris, Sacre or Johnson-odom???? Why...they make as much as Kobe's shoelaces combined.

f & g......Good if we could actually pull it off.