Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Default Re: Best US president ever ?

Lincoln. Only politician that I've ever idolized. That probably has something to do with his portrayal as some sort of God-like historical legend in history books, but whatever.

And, forgive me for being so historically ignorant, but what the hell did Washington do to be considered such a great President? I'm not bashing him at all; I'd genuinely like to know.

Other great Presidents are particularly famous for certain accomplishments; Lincoln united the country and ended slavery, FDR put an end to the Depression and guided America through WWII, but Washington doesn't really have that accomplishment that his legacy has been hung on. Is the appraisal of his presidency due solely to the fact that he was America's first President?

George Washington would be a poor man's Joe Biden in today's government system

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    George Washington would be a poor man's Joe Biden in today's government system
    I'm curious, so enlighten me; what is the knowledge that leads you to this conclusion?

Unless you're being sarcastic, of course.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Washington had slaves

Lincoln as a senator or congressman stated what one state's property is withholding in Illinois's state.

[To put it simply : if a slave ran away , landed in Illinois , Lincoln believed that slave should be returned to his rightful owner. ]

And folks : that is history

Many presidents were more of an inspiration to our country while some of the things they did or / did not do while in office were over shadowed by their public's viewpoint.

------------
    If Clinton hada wife that put out : Bill would not of been looking for dick relief.
    That being said : he was one of the rare presidents in history that actually balanced the national budget ....
    * all presidents have silver linings and ghosts.

Nixon was a true ambassador to the eastern world..... yet he taped his collegues conversations

FDR was straight boss, spent his final 12 years in office.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    I'm curious, so enlighten me; what is the knowledge that leads you to this conclusion?

Unless you're being sarcastic, of course.
    Yes, I was. I would like to know as well, but I don't see how it would differ from the rest of the "pioneers" being overrated as well, whether it's politics, music, sports, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    If Clinton hada wife that put out : Bill would not of been looking for dick relief.

I seriously doubt that.

the dude was always a massive horn dog that didn't GAF about cheating.

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

Bill Clinton and FDR

Learning to shoot layups

Not American but I like history. I would say a good way to look at this would be that the better leaders are less famous (presidents the average person can not think of) that said I like Washington and Jefferson.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

And, forgive me for being so historically ignorant, but what the hell did Washington do to be considered such a great President? I'm not bashing him at all; I'd genuinely like to know.
    Kept a newborn nation out of a ruinous war with France/England when virtually everyone wanted in on one side or the other, established trade relations abroad, created the cabinet, set a model for term limits, and generally swang a giant dick that let everyone know the US was legit.

Lincoln. Only politician that I've ever idolized. That probably has something to do with his portrayal as some sort of God-like historical legend in history books, but whatever.

Other great Presidents are particularly famous for certain accomplishments; Lincoln united the country and ended slavery, FDR put an end to the Depression and guided America through WWII, but Washington doesn't really have that accomplishment that his legacy has been hung on. Is the appraisal of his presidency due solely to the fact that he was America's first President?
    I often think that Washington being considered a great president takes into account what he did before he became president. Without him the revolution would have failed. He was the indispensable man, probably the only one who could have united the militias of various states and led them as an army to victory. He was also universally admired for his leadership and integrity. He was just someone that people looked up to, a natural leader.

I don't know too much about his presidency, but one thing he did that was incredibly important was he retired from the presidency. He could won every election for the rest of his life, but once the country was up and running he walked away from power. That was something that almost never happened in the world. Usually the King either died or their was a war and somebody else took power. The peaceful transfer of power is one the hallmarks of American democracy and Washington started that tradition.

Wikipedia has these as the major acts of his presidency
    Major acts as President

Organized the first United States Cabinet and the Executive Branch
    Established the United States federal judiciary
    Oversaw the ratification of the United States Bill of Rights
    Oversaw the establishment, location and planning of the future District of Columbia

If you think FDR ended the depression you don't know economics

National High School Star

For me it's easily Thomas Jefferson...

-Fricken author of the Constitution (most major contributor)
    -Louisiana Purchase from Napoleon
    -Killed the national bank
    -Spearheaded the philosophy of freedom and many other libertarian-type ideals, many that are looked up to and sought today.
    -Built and designed the University of Virginia.

Not many people know this, but Jefferson was the first American anthropologist. In addition, he was a farmer, architect, lawyer, among other things. He wasn't just practicing these fields, he contributed to innovating them too. For farming, he designed the moldboard plow. He was fluent in five different languages. Incredibly learned man. Knew his history, literature, and economics. His library was considered legendary at the time for a single person. I haven't even touched on his contributions to religious freedom. In terms of American enlightenment, only Benjamin Franklin can hold a candle against him, but he was never a president... The standard this guy sets when it comes to intellectualism is unreal and I don't think we will ever see a president like him (at least in my lifetime).
    Last edited by falc39; 02-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Bush. He's been in all the GOAT cartoons.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    For me it's easily Thomas Jefferson...

-Fricken author of the Constitution (most major contributor)
    -Louisiana Purchase from Napoleon
    -Killed the national bank
    -Spearheaded the philosophy of freedom and many other libertarian-type ideals, many that are looked up to and sought today.
    -Built and designed the University of Virginia.

Not many people know this, but Jefferson was the first American anthropologist. In addition, he was a farmer, architect, lawyer, among other things. He wasn't just practicing these fields, he contributed to innovating them too. For farming, he designed the moldboard plow. He was fluent in five different languages. Incredibly learned man. Knew his history, literature, and economics. His library was considered legendary at the time for a single person. I haven't even touched on his contributions to religious freedom. In terms of American enlightenment, only Benjamin Franklin can hold a candle against him, but he was never a president... The standard this guy sets when it comes to intellectualism is unreal and I don't think we will ever see a president like him (at least in my lifetime).
    f*cking brilliant was what he was. his re-written bible remains among the most courageous writings i've ever heard come from any political leader. fearless.

he was also very balanced and as far from an ideologue as you could get, understood compromise very well, would always bend his most fervent beliefs for the sake of the union... as long as the bending wasn't coming at the motherland's expense.

love the stuff about his manual labour/farming ingenuity btw, i didn't know he delved into that side of the world so extensively