Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 AM   #61
kidachi

Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

what the...? it's nothing.
he can't say "boston will beat our as$ this year"

NBA needs more gilbert arenas
Old 09-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #62
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
there's no way any NBA fan with an objective mind can not appreciate what he's doing here.

in basketball, regular season games just don't matter as much. typically, the top seeded team loses 20 games. before Arenas "ran his mouth," this game did not matter. just another regular season game that would be forgotten the day after it happened. now, anyone who can get his hands on a TV is going to be tuning in, waiting for Arenas to succeed or fail. if he goes 2-19, you'll never forget it; if he goes 15-19, you'll never forget it. it'll be etched in your brain until the day you die, just like the Portland fiasco.

is it kind of an excercise in douche baggery to promote oneself as the main attraction? sure it is. but at the same time..... now there's an attraction where there wasn't one before.

I'd rather a guy fail gloriously than stay be lukewarm, mediocre, "good enough." surely anybody can at least appreciate that the guy puts himself out there. it's not an easy thing to do.

The Celtics don't even care. The Wizards don't even care, Gilbert Arenas takes things too far. I like that! If only Garnett says something back for a friendly rivalry.
Chuck Thou NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #63
Dbrog
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonterry
At this point, the only people who can stand the guy are the complete idiots. He's the epitome of all thats wrong with the NBA.

Dude...Michael Jordan used to do the same things Arenas does.
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #64
WuTangWizard
Good High School Starter

You say you hate him and yet you are reading his blog? You're such a f@g
WuTangWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #65
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Just a little Celtics hate. Don't get so defensive. But don't think the Celts are just gonna run the league.

I'm just messing with you. I'm just happy we are in the position that we're in so that we can be somewhat cocky. Last year, if Gil had said something like this for whatever reason, I would have shrugged and said "probably..."
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #66
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
you kids are ridiculous. its the regular season.....the VERY START of the regular season for that matter. anyone can get crushed by anyone.

didn't the awful Celtics beat Chicago opening night of 97?? i figured you would remember that....

Calm down; it was a deliberate show of cockiness. Arenas is tried of the hype we've been getting and he's expressed a little bit of confidence in his team, I'm doing the same... it's something I haven't been able to do in awhile. It's fun to talk trash.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 AM   #67
Sharas
Good college starter

he's adding some fun to the otherwise-not-so-meaningful regular season games, why would someone blame him for that?

but i'll also agree that there is a clear double standard, if someone like kobe or lkebron or dirk said something like that he'd be bashed to death. but that's probably more of a perceived image thing, for various reasons we simply aren't used to hearing trash talk from today's superstars (i don't consider gilbert a superstar), and from gilbert it's nothing new.

he's already established image of a wacko who's making outrageous claims half-seriously, so no one is really surprised with this (and that probably differs him from barkley/bird types, they seemed more "mean" and he seems more "weird")

BTW, can you imagine tim duncan saying something like this after a decade of quietly dominating the league? it would be an outrage
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #68
AI Nuggets3
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Calm down; it was a deliberate show of cockiness. Arenas is tried of the hype we've been getting and he's expressed a little bit of confidence in his team, I'm doing the same... it's something I haven't been able to do in awhile. It's fun to talk trash.

you know what, you're right. Boston fans have been pretty tortured the past 17 years. enjoy the good times.

im looking forward to our Denver vs Boston matchups tho
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #69
eboloid
Flash Gordo

All the people who hate Gilbo, hate fun. It's really that simple.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #70
BostonsAccent
I usually hit open layups

This is the reason why Gil is one of my favorite players. Dude actually talks, he's not some random puppet of David Stern. You hate him for bringing excitement and rivalries, I love him for bringing it to a boring league.
BostonsAccent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #71
Make It Rain
Banned

Arenas just did the league a favor. Now everyone's gonna tune in.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #72
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
only a Boston fan would get upset at that. Gilbert Arenas is entertaining as hell.

no one would care about the Wizards vs Boston game if he just said "Boy i can't wait. It should be a good one!"

if you guys are offended at this you would've hated Charles Barkley back in his hey day. (i now wait for the "i remember Chuck....im 20 years old!!" posts)
It's not just this. This, isolated, wouldn't bug me at all. It's the bias I have against him for talking sh*t allllll the time that makes this annoying to me.

Quote:
You say you hate him and yet you are reading his blog? You're such a f@g
This was brought to my attention on another board. I don't keep up with his blog. Eat sh*t and die, deuchebag.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #73
Make It Rain
Banned

Uh, you're too sensitive. He does this to entice the viewers and the rest of the league. It's pretty much free publicity for the game. You Celtics homers are way too sensitive. It's not like he's being an *******. He's not doing anything Kobe-like.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #74
Agent_Zero
Good college starter

Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener."

He's right. Anyone wanna avatar bet?
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #75
geeWiz15
Banned

Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener."

I'll avatar bet this whole goddam board

bring it
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: