Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Well, look at what Pat Riley did to the Heat compared to SVG. He got players like Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, Alonzo Mourning, and James Posey to put their egos aside and play as a team and because of that,, the Heat are 4 wins away from a Championship trophy.

Phil Jackson was able to get Kobe and Shaq to put aside their differences, but that only worked for 4 seasons. After ending their Championship run against the Spurs, they were back at it. All because Shaq suggested that Kobe would pass more until he heals from his injury that he had, and then Kobe went apesh!t.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #17
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
Explain....How?

Riley is more hands on. If there is a problem, he's wise enough to measure the situation and reach out to fix it. If there are knots, he'll get right in the middle of it and untie it.

Phil Jackson just doesn't have that quality. He sits down and lets things get out of hand and won't do anything until it's too late. That coaching style often makes the team vulnerable because Phil's just a chicken shit and afraid to get into the middle to touch anything.

Phil's pretty much a wimp in the locker room when dealing with a bratty ego. The only time he dares to talk is when he's writing a book. But he won't say anything to the guy's face when he's around.

Riley is none of that bullshit. If he sees a problem somewhere and he's troubled by it, he'll cut the BS and tell it how it is. Shaq obviously respects that type of authority more than Phil's wishful-thinking and passive approach.

Last edited by DCL : 06-05-2006 at 07:55 PM.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #18
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks91
why do people take what Shaq says seriously??

In LA, he was slobbering over Kobe, complementing him, calling him best player in the NBA, etc etc.

First season with Wade, he talks about how not only has Wade reached kobe's level, he's surpassed him.

We know what he's said about Phil. Now he says this.

I don't take one thing this guy says seriously.

I agree with this. Shaq called Michael Doleac his "best back up ever".

The dude is just saying that. Phil has a way of making his players play better. Riley is just some other coach. 9 rings compared to 4 rings is definitely a huge comparison. I am not taking anything away from Riley But shaq is definitely trying to forget about his laker past.

One more thing, Without Kobe shaq wouldnt have won these championships by himself...who else was gonna step up... Samaki Walker?

gimme a break!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #19
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
Well, look at what Pat Riley did to the Heat compared to SVG. He got players like Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, Alonzo Mourning, and James Posey to put their egos aside and play as a team and because of that,, the Heat are 4 wins away from a Championship trophy.

Phil Jackson was able to get Kobe and Shaq to put aside their differences, but that only worked for 4 seasons. After ending their Championship run against the Spurs, they were back at it. All because Shaq suggested that Kobe would pass more until he heals from his injury that he had, and then Kobe went apesh!t.

Keep in mind that Riley brought in a lot of talent but that could just mean "GM of the year award". Has nothin to do with coaching.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #20
Laker4Lyfe
City Of Champions

Laker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation hereLaker4Lyfe has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks91
why do people take what Shaq says seriously??

In LA, he was slobbering over Kobe, complementing him, calling him best player in the NBA, etc etc.

First season with Wade, he talks about how not only has Wade reached kobe's level, he's surpassed him.

We know what he's said about Phil. Now he says this.

I don't take one thing this guy says seriously.

I totally agree. Shaq will and has said all sorts of things.:rollingeyes:
Laker4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Patches O'Houlihan
I brick open layups

Patches O'Houlihan has an OK reputation so far

So what is Shaq supposed to say? "Riley is a great coach, but I've had better."

Come on now, of course he's going to praise his current coach.
Patches O'Houlihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #22
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
Explain....How?

Phil has 9 rings, Riley doesnt.
And dont try to use Jordan or Shaq as an excuse, Riley had Kareem and Magic

And Cooper and Byron Scott and and and and....they had a team that looks like the phoenix suns of today...only better.

Except I dont think they would have started Nash at center

Old 06-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches O'Houlihan
So what is Shaq supposed to say? "Riley is a great coach, but I've had better."

Come on now, of course he's going to praise his current coach.

Why does he have to say anything at all.

He could have said "I rate him as one of my top coaches."

But no, he said "i dont wanna hurt anyone's feelings" and then continued saying "hes the best coach I have ever played for"

let's all give shaq a
Old 06-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #24
LakerFan1086
Serious playground baller

LakerFan1086 has not been impressing people
Default win one and then talk

Please lets just see shaq win won before he starts talking about which is the best team or who his best coach was. He won 3 out of 4 final trips with kobe and phil, and so far 0 with riley and wade.
Nothing against wade and riley i like them both a lot but c'mon i think you gotta win one before you start talking.
LakerFan1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #25
Kobe#1fan
Banned

Kobe#1fan has no real reputation yet.

Don't get me wrong I don't like shaq. but I know what he is saying when he says that, it's because pat riley tells him what to do like a father and phil asked him what he wanted to do like a friend.

for that reason is why shaq's ego went out of control phil kept saying we play through shaq that fed shaq's ego leading to the demise of the lakers.

With riley he let shaq know who the boss was, if phil had that personality or jerry west would have still be there the lakers would still be together.
Kobe#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #26
KNOWLEDGE20
Can barely lace up my sneakers

KNOWLEDGE20 has no real reputation yet.

he said about chuck daily, phil and now pat! Plus his father who taught him everything he knows the other phil but have u seen him dosent look like he ever played a day in his life!
KNOWLEDGE20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #27
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe#1fan
With riley he let shaq know who the boss was, if phil had that personality or jerry west would have still be there the lakers would still be together.

Why did Jerry West leave? he's such a great GM
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: