Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Kevin Love is currently averaging 27 14 and 5 on 48%, can he keep it up?

I think the last guy to do this for a season was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1976 when he ran a line of 27.7 pts, 16.9 rebounds, and 5 assists (& was the MVP).

Shaq never got 14 rebounds on a season (although 13.9 his rookie year is close enough), and neither he nor Moses even approached those kinds of assist numbers.

Sir Charles had a season of 27 10 & 4 in 1991. Bob McAdoo in '77 had a season of 26.5, 12.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists. We are talking about all-time titans of the game. I might be missing somebody but I can't think who it would be.

Of course 9 games is not 82 games.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Re: Kevin Love is currently averaging 27 14 and 5 on 48%, can he keep it up?

i feel the most impressive part of his stats are his assist numbers. if he can average 5 for the season, then god damn.

he is a stat-stuffer no doubt but these numbers will probably come down a little bit

I hope Love lead his team into the playoffs. So far he's top 2 in MVP Ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    I don't see why though? None of the numbers he's putting up are too dissimilar than what he was putting up the last time he was healthy. The differences are subtle but have pretty dramatic effect.

For one, his defensive rebounding is back up to the insane levels it used to be (it took a dip a few seasons back).

Two, this Wolves team is fairly better than the one two seasons ago. From Brewer's tendency to leak early to just being surrounded by much better spot-up and catch & shoot shooters. This is kind of why I wish player tracking was around in previous seasons because I'd like to see how many assist opportunities Love had per game. Playing with guys like Beasley, Wesley Johnson, and Derrick Williams (who is getting very little playing time this season, at least with Love) is a lot different than Kevin Martin and Brewer. Not to mention this team has a much better grasp of Adelman's offense. His assists might drop slightly but I'd be surprised if they drop that much.

Which brings up the only difference between the '12 and '14 (thus far) which is his two point shooting percentage (his three point shooting is actually a notch lower than his last two healthy seasons but his free throw rate is about the same). It's unlikely that this goes down though because of the after mentioned spacing and just a basic understanding of the offense. Love isn't having to force shots in the same to get points and is getting the ball in much advantageous positions. This isn't likely to change over the course of the season. His numbers might slip but it's doubtful it'll be by a noticeable margin.
    Because he isn't a versatile enough scorer to average 27. If he keeps it up he we get more and more focus put on him by opposing teams, and his numbers will fall. He won't keep getting the shots he's been getting. And, he will probably get injured at some point.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore KnicksWolves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Because he isn't a versatile enough scorer to average 27. If he keeps it up he we get more and more focus put on him by opposing teams, and his numbers will fall. He won't keep getting the shots he's been getting. And, he will probably get injured at some point.
    What makes you say that? He can shoot the 3, can post-up, grabs offensive boards, and can draw fouls using head fakes and putting the ball on the floor. And that's just what he does with the ball. He moves very well off-the-ball under Adelman's system, and Rubio uses this to his advantage to find Love on cuts and for open 3's.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

He was versatile enough to average 26 his last healthy season, but 27 is too much?

You mean the 6'9 unathletic pudgy white guy? No way he could play in the league today....

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    You mean the 6'9 unathletic pudgy white guy? No way he could play in the league today....
    Guy measured 6-7 (and 3/4) in the draft... Imagine a 6-7 white guy playing a POWER FORWARD in today's league where 7 foot tall with hyper athleticism is the norm at that position. Please. Guy wouldn't even get his shot off in today's league.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I don't see why he can't keep up with the points and rebounds. He's averaged more rebounds than that before and his points are about the same as usual, except now he's just more efficient.

Not sure about the assists. Tho, if teams don't stop his outlets then why not? That's like 1-3 assists right there and Love is a good passer in the halfcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    He was versatile enough to average 26 his last healthy season, but 27 is too much?
    How many games did the Wolves win that year?

A large portion of those points were scored on open 3 point shots and scrappy put-backs/offensive rebounds and fouls. He rarely created his own shot.

It is different when teams actually try against you, rather than thinking 'it's only the Wolves: easy night'

Teams will start gearing their gameplans around keeping K-Love out of the game. He will not have so many easy looks as he did that season.

A large portion of those points were scored on open 3 point shots and scrappy put-backs/offensive rebounds and fouls. He rarely created his own shot.
    Which means none of those points should count and Kevin Love should just retire.

How many times are we going to have this conversation. Kevin Love does something nobody since Moses Malone has done, BUT

Kevin Love is doing something in his first nine games that no one since Kareem Abdul Jabbar has done for a full season, BUT

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Which means none of those points should count and Kevin Love should just retire.

How many times are we going to have this conversation. Kevin Love does something nobody since Moses Malone has done, BUT

Kevin Love is doing something in his first nine games that no one since Kareem Abdul Jabbar has done for a full season, BUT
    You are just putting words into my mouth you cretinous asshole.

I never said anything of the sort, but it is undeniable that K-Love's numbers benefited from the amount of garbage time minutes he had playing for such a shoddy team. A top player does not put up those kind of numbers and still have a team winning % of below .4

How many games did the Wolves win that year?
    I just happened to come across this post for the year before his 26 point season

Kevin Love was good but his team was terrible.

Where the red lines intersect is average. Top Right is very good. Love is pinned in the top right corner, virtually all of his team is on the bottom left.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    I just happened to come across this post for the year before his 26 point season

Where the red lines intersect is average. Top Right is very good. Love is pinned in the top right corner, virtually all of his team is on the bottom left.
    BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT