Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Ben Simmons?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3sgMeomzy-s

I feel like if some mad scientist took Boris Diaw and made him a more athletic version of his body and aged him down to 14 years old the result would be what Ben Simmons was 3 years ago. Still has the same basketball iq and mental poise and a few more years added on to developing other areas of his game before college.

I don't think Ben's ceiling can match Wiggins Jabari or AG but at the very very worst he still would be a more than capable NBA player. I know too little about LSU's program to state what kind of fit it will be but i think Simmons' is mentally ahead of his peers and just needs a year of banging with college bodies rather than being coached and molded.

On a side note it goes to show you just how deep the Nike EYBL team when Each1Teach1

- defending Peach Jam champs with loads of experience
    - has the consensus #1 player in the country in Ben Simmons
    - has the 7'6 Tacko Fall
    - has a top 3 pure scorer in the country in Antonio Blakeney
    - Rest of team filled with freakishly athletic wings and posts or high iq sharpshooting guards all going D1

Don't even make final 4 of Peach Jam this summer.

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on Ben Simmons?

Should have been on Australia's team for the tournament.

Watching him play reminds me a bit of LeBron. He doesn't have the body, but a very similar skill-set. Tall, good handle, good vision, ability to finish at the rim.

Banned

So maybe Oscar?

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i hope he is not another anthony randolph ... i want him to be an sf version of brandoy roy that's how i see his game right now.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I like him, but don't love him. He lacks the super top end physical specs I expect out of the true top top level prospects. And the skill that can compensate for that is usually either elite level shooting or ball handling, and while he's a very good ball handler for his size, he doesn't seem to be elite at either. He'll play and be a very good pro, because he does do so many things well, and he does seem to have a natural feel for the game, but he's not a guy that I think will completely change the fortunes of a franchise. Even Jabari Parker, who I thought had some upside limitations as a prospect, I like better than Simmons, because of his general scoring chops and more natural size.

The more athletic Diaw comp is a solid call I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I like him, but don't love him. He lacks the super top end physical specs I expect out of the true top top level prospects. And the skill that can compensate for that is usually either elite level shooting or ball handling, and while he's a very good ball handler for his size, he doesn't seem to be elite at either. He'll play and be a very good pro, because he does do so many things well, and he does seem to have a natural feel for the game, but he's not a guy that I think will completely change the fortunes of a franchise. Even Jabari Parker, who I thought had some upside limitations as a prospect, I like better than Simmons, because of his general scoring chops and more natural size.

The more athletic Diaw comp is a solid call I think.
    Yeah, I'd be a little worried about Simmons in the draft. I could see a Michael Beasley situation playing out where he is a weird combo of skills that is difficult to fit on a roster. But Simmons clearly seems to have a better head on his shoulders and better ball skills which makes that less likely.

I do like the Diaw comp tho because I see him as someone who is more effective out of the high post because I don't think he will have the athleticism to break people down off the dribble in the NBA.

He's a power forward version of Lebron, a mix of Blake and Magic.

He will be able to run the fast break a lot like Magic, find the open man, but with Griffins scoring ability.

24/9/5 career.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

My athleticism fears have been quelled. He's much bigger and far more athletic than I thought he'd be watching him earlier.

Mentality remains somewhat questionable. But he functions better as a facilitator than say Wiggins, who I also had aggression concerns with, but my concerns are less with Simmons, although it may prevent him from being a real One, he's already super well suited as a title team piece, even if it's not the centerpiece.

I still like the suped up Diaw comp, and a variation on Odom, just shifted more to the interior.

If the jumper comes you're talking a legit title centerpiece guy.

The more I watch him the more I think he's more suited to the NBA game. I could see teams using Lebron as a model for how to use him the way Cleveland will let him get a head of steam and set a high screen for him that he can run off. I'm mixed about his reticence to shoot. On my ne hand it's scary for him to be so timid but on another it shows a lot of maturity to understand his limitations. He seems to be self aware and won't have ego problems.

I'd love Philly to have him but for his sake I hope he doesn't come here. The last thing he needs is a veteranless locker room and the worst spaced offense in the league.

My issues

1. Lack of outside game, face it the NBA is all about shooting/spacing for the most part. I think if he wants to live up to the hype/expectations he has to show more of an outside game. People will point to Bron shooting, but Bron always had a foundation. He had a sample size to go from. Ben rarely shoots almost like a Nerlens Noel. Not comparing their skills just two guys who rarely shoot but with Noel you know he isn't a good shooter and may never be. Ben? Just weird how cautious he is at just attempting it. Oak didn't shoot much at Duke probably a total of 3 jumpers. NBA he has shot it quite a bit and more successful than Noel. Maybe Ben does that where hes encouraged in taking jumpers where he can improve off that? I dunno. I get the whole so and so improve their jumpers. But Ben a diff case. If you posted his total jumpers (mid, 3pt) vs his shot attempts it would be staggering in difference.

2. Deferring to guys too much. He needs to be selfish. Bron had knocks on needing to take over more but I never got a sense he was a passive player as much as I do with Ben. Not a bad thing but again if he wants to be elite and one of if not the best player? He's gonna have to be more selfish and take over. You want to be closer to say a Bron or closer to say a Iguodala?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

He doesn't seem to have the personality or shooting ability to take over games consistently. As he is he will be good on the break but really, who isn't good on the break? I'm not saying he'll stink but he doesn't look like a superstar out there.

Also: does anyone else wonder if he's been all that good for LSU? We have analysts saying they might not make the tournament. They have gotten more attention but the program has not been elevated at all. Is he making them a lot more money than they otherwise would have? And then we have them giving him whatever little punishment it was for his academic issues. They didn't put him up for the Wooden because of his academics. Would anyone be shocked if a bigger scandal comes out in a year or two? It's like one guy is the embodiment of everything wrong with one and done.

Just to be clear I have nothing against Simmons even though this post may sound to you like I do. I could care less if he's going to class and if he had a jumper I'd be wanting the Celtics to draft him badly. And I still hope the Celtics get him I just don't think he's going to dominate.

Banned

After realizing he still exists, Giannis could be an appropriate player to compare skill-wise.

Giannis is longer and has a higher defensive upside, but both players share point forward skills yet early in their career lacked a jumper. They have PF size and with the right supporting cast can be the PG of their teams.

This guy will be a BUST in the NBA. Will have very little impact or be injured and his career will end.

You heard it here first.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Only thing Simmons is better than Wiggins before entering the NBA is passing and dribbling ...
    Shooting, Athleticism goes to Wig.
    Defense is a toss up
    Post moves almost the same
    Wiggins has a signature step back

Simmons can stroke it on the FT line which is not bad but I hope it would translate to a Jumper soon, He might be more valuable than Ingram right now but I wont be surprised if Ingram becomes a franchise player sooner.