Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 01-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Al McCoy in AZ sports hall of fame

Al McCoy, Linda Vollstedt and Bob Horner are new inductees into the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame.

A fourth inductee will be announced in March. The 39th induction ceremony is April 16 at a site to be announced.

McCoy has been the Suns play-by-play announcer since 1972 and received the Curt Gowdy Media Award from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007. He also called minor-league baseball and hockey and Arizona State sports early in his career in Phoenix.
Vollstedt directed the ASU women's golf team to six NCAA championships in 21 seasons as coach. She was five-time national Coach of the Year and now is director of golf marketing/promotions.

Horner was the inaugural Golden Spikes Award winner in 1978, culminating his ASU baseball career. Also in '78, he was first overall draft pick by Atlanta and National League Rookie of the Year. Horner was an inaugural inductee into the College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006.

The Arizona Hall of Fame was founded in 1957 and will grow to 69 members with the new inductees. The Hall of Fame has been dormant since 2002 and is being revived by the Phoenix Regional Sports Commission and partners.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azet...zhallfame.html

little side story of my own, I took my GF to a Suns game when she came down to visit me. It was her first Basketball game she attended, and the Suns beat the Rockets that day. After the game I took her down to the court to check it out and I run into Mr. Al McCoy. I was pretty shocked at how tall he was, he's gotta be 6'1" or 6'2" I had always imagined him as a small old wrinkly man. Not a great side story but it is my not so great side story that I wanted to share with you guys.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: