Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default More positive press for the Wii

Or not...

Quote:
There are too many crappy games on the Wii.

So says the global boss of 2K Games, Christoph Hartmann, and at least in the opinion of video game critics, he's on to something. Using figures from review aggregation site Metacritic.com, almost half of Wii games released since the console launched in 2006 have scored below 65%, compared with about a third of Xbox 360 and PS3 titles. And 65% is a pretty crappy aggregate score, considering that many game review sites rarely score below 50%.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...ntial-/1281752

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains
 
Sonic R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit…
Posts: 3,909
Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

The consoles that have the best sales/install base are always the ones that have the most shovelware garbage games… been that way since the Atari VCS.

Atari 2600 - Atari was home to garbage games. No name companies rushed to put garbage on the shelf to cash in on the hype. fux, there were games from dog food companies, johnson and johnson, Coca-Cola, among the millions of shovelware that killed the entire video game market in 1983.

NES - the NES has a plethora of junk games, some of which I kind of like but thats just for sentimental reasons

Genesis/SNES - both these systems were successful and both had a healthy dose of rubbish.

PlayStation - With a library of 1500 games how many are legit quality games…

PlayStation 2 - With a massive library of games and a record setting install base worldwide, more than 50% of the games are shovelware.

Wii - with hype and success, everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon and tap into the Wii kool-aid with gimmick junk games…

Video game consoles that have been successful have had garbage games to fill their shelves… it promotes the image that there are tons of games, even if that image is a farce…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
The consoles that have the best sales/install base are always the ones that have the most shovelware garbage games… been that way since the Atari VCS.

Atari 2600 - Atari was home to garbage games. No name companies rushed to put garbage on the shelf to cash in on the hype. fux, there were games from dog food companies, johnson and johnson, Coca-Cola, among the millions of shovelware that killed the entire video game market in 1983.

NES - the NES has a plethora of junk games, some of which I kind of like but thats just for sentimental reasons

Genesis/SNES - both these systems were successful and both had a healthy dose of rubbish.

PlayStation - With a library of 1500 games how many are legit quality games…

PlayStation 2 - With a massive library of games and a record setting install base worldwide, more than 50% of the games are shovelware.

Wii - with hype and success, everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon and tap into the Wii kool-aid with gimmick junk games…

Video game consoles that have been successful have had garbage games to fill their shelves… it promotes the image that there are tons of games, even if that image is a farce…

You make some good points. I disagree on the NES though. Most of the games were more or less the same, just different characters. I mean you had your side scrollers like Mario, your menu-based like D&D or Shadowrun, or your overhead types like Jackal or Metal Gear.

There are subtle variations, but for the most part Castlevania played the same as say.. Mario or Batman.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
biisak
Yeah, I´m from Sweden
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 691
biisak has decent reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Couldn´t agree more. Some of the games that are being released for Wii are just pure rubbish. But when you´ve got such a big user-base, who can blame them?

Think Adam Sandler cares when he releases his next ****movie? No he´s laughing all the way to the bank.
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by biisak
Couldn´t agree more. Some of the games that are being released for Wii are just pure rubbish. But when you´ve got such a big user-base, who can blame them?

Think Adam Sandler cares when he releases his next ****movie? No he´s laughing all the way to the bank.

Uhm. That Adam Sandler analogy is horrible. Sandler makes money on every movie he acts in. Wii makes money from these crap developers, but they only really make bank if the game is good. And the developers don't make squat when the game fails.

None of which is good for the hobby.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
biisak
Yeah, I´m from Sweden
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 691
biisak has decent reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Uhm. That Adam Sandler analogy is horrible. Sandler makes money on every movie he acts in. Wii makes money from these crap developers, but they only really make bank if the game is good. And the developers don't make squat when the game fails.

None of which is good for the hobby.

Mathius

No the analogy isn´t horrible, you just didn´t get my point. The point: who cares if the games are "good" (or movies in Adam Sandlers case) when the only thing that matters is how many people buy them.

You´re just like the kids in the NBA Forum who never understands that the NBA is a business first and foremost and winning is second to profit. Just like the video game industry.

Nintendo doesn´t care what you or reviewers think about their games. Adam Sandler doesn´t care what reviews his films are getting. All they care about (rightfully so) is how much $$$ they got.

If you look at the top chart of games that sell well you´ll see lots of great games on top, but you´ll also see some not-so-good games that have sold well, oftentimes due to really good marketing and hype.

Again, I agree with your original point that Wii has a ****load of really horrible games that could´ve essentially been sold 10 years ago. But as long as they sell twice as many copies as the great games that noone plays (see Ico) they really don´t care.
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 15,647
DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Your point is rubbish because Nintendo isn't the one pumping out crap, it's the 3rd party developers. Nintendo is making the majority of quality games on the Wii.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller
 
gsxr1kryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinoize
Posts: 331
gsxr1kryder has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

we just got rid of our Wii for that simple fact.

we bought it last October, and just couldn't find any games worth playing. we made the mistake of buying the first two.....that turned out to be complete garbage. then we just started renting them from the Video Store. After about 20 or so games, we just give up.

I'll stick with my 360 and my son went back to playing the Ps2.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
biisak
Yeah, I´m from Sweden
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 691
biisak has decent reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Your point is rubbish because Nintendo isn't the one pumping out crap, it's the 3rd party developers. Nintendo is making the majority of quality games on the Wii.


You know that nintendo receives licensing money from the 3rd party publisher every time they sell a game right? You think Nintendo cares about the quality of those games or the amount of games sold?
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains
 
Sonic R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit…
Posts: 3,909
Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1kryder
we just got rid of our Wii for that simple fact.

we bought it last October, and just couldn't find any games worth playing. we made the mistake of buying the first two.....that turned out to be complete garbage. then we just started renting them from the Video Store. After about 20 or so games, we just give up.

I'll stick with my 360 and my son went back to playing the Ps2.

What game (genres) do you like to play? FPS, Sports? If so, the Wii should have NEVER even been considered…

I just realized that, beyond watching youtube on my Wii, the games I play most are Star Soldier R (a download only game) and Sin & Punishment (a VC game)…

Quote:
Originally Posted by biisak
You know that nintendo receives licensing money from the 3rd party publisher every time they sell a game right? You think Nintendo cares about the quality of those games or the amount of games sold?


This seal really means that Nintendo has been paid by the publisher to market the game for Nintendo hardware. Back in the day, when Nintendo used proprietary formats, publishers paid big money for that seal… Doesn't matter if the game is garbage or doesn't even sell worth crap, Nintendo charges a flat rate for licensing and they get paid regardless.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,773
LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Your point is rubbish because Nintendo isn't the one pumping out crap, it's the 3rd party developers. Nintendo is making the majority of quality games on the Wii.

Nintendo is making a ton of crap too.

Wii Music? What?
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
kentatm
NBA Legend
 
kentatm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 17,236
kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Nintendo is making a ton of crap too.

Wii Music? What?

Wii Music is selling moderately well though. I've met people that love it and people that hate it. Its one of the more polarizing games around. I thought it was ok but not a purchase for me personally. My friends grandmother and grandson play it together every Sunday though which is kinda cool IMO.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by biisak
No the analogy isn´t horrible, you just didn´t get my point. The point: who cares if the games are "good" (or movies in Adam Sandlers case) when the only thing that matters is how many people buy them.

You´re just like the kids in the NBA Forum who never understands that the NBA is a business first and foremost and winning is second to profit. Just like the video game industry.

Nintendo doesn´t care what you or reviewers think about their games. Adam Sandler doesn´t care what reviews his films are getting. All they care about (rightfully so) is how much $$$ they got.

If you look at the top chart of games that sell well you´ll see lots of great games on top, but you´ll also see some not-so-good games that have sold well, oftentimes due to really good marketing and hype.

Do you just enjoy hearing the keys click when you type?

You completely ignored everything I said. Yeah, Nintendo makes money off these crappy games, but they make a boatload more off of quality games.

Flooding the industry with crap games just brings down the whole reputation of the Wii, which converts to less sales of Wii versus the other 2 systems. You know, the whole "hardcore gamer" issue?

Besides which, crappy games, make the developers lose money, the developers go out of business, then we have less people to make games.

Again, bad for the industry.

If I have to repeat that a 3rd time I'm gonna be REALLY annoyed. Take a class or something kid. You don't read well.

Quote:
Again, I agree with your original point that Wii has a ****load of really horrible games that could´ve essentially been sold 10 years ago. But as long as they sell twice as many copies as the great games that noone plays (see Ico) they really don´t care.

What point, idiot? All I did was post an article Yahoo wrote.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: More positive press for the Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Your point is rubbish because Nintendo isn't the one pumping out crap, it's the 3rd party developers. Nintendo is making the majority of quality games on the Wii.

Who the hell are you addressing anyways? I didn't see anyone say that Nintendo was pumping out the crap anywhere.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy